LGW
Topic Author

Flying To, And Spotting At Amsterdam Schiphol

Sun Nov 19, 2000 2:37 am

Iam planning a short holiday in Amsterdam including a few trips to Schiphol. I will be flying from either London Gatwick or London Heathrow and I was wondering if anyone could help me on what airline to fly on and why. Also does anyone know any websites where I can book cheap flights?

Also does anyone have any news, info or know of any websites including information about spotting at Schiphol? What will I see, where to see the action.
Bearinging in mind I will not have a car.

Is there anywhere within the terminal where I can view like a restaurant?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

RE: Flying To, And Spotting At Amsterdam Schiphol

Sun Nov 19, 2000 2:48 am

There's an open-air viewing point, clearly marked in the terminal. It looks out over the jumbo-pier.

PanAm_DC10
Crew

Sun Nov 19, 2000 3:42 am

There's also a good restaurant for viewing and you can take the odd photo too.

For the best deal on a flight you should call Trailfinders..
the fares are just as good as what available on the web and it's a lot easier. The only cheaper flights are from Luton or Stansted on easyjet or Buzz

Regards PANAM_DC10
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

Scotty

Sun Nov 19, 2000 4:50 am

The deck is on two levels and is extensive. there are also a few multi storey car parks near the terminal

firefly_cyhz

Sun Nov 19, 2000 6:29 am

When I was in Amsterdam over the summer I rented a bike and took it on the train to the train station at Schiphol and then spent the day biking around the airport. A good website for spotting info is: http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/spotter/index.html near the bottom of the page go to "spotters spot" and then click on Europe

OO-VEG

Sun Nov 19, 2000 7:13 am

Well. Amsterdam is a good place to spot.
You can go to the terrace (entrance is free) where you have a view of the C,D,E and F piers and you can see the traffic on 3 runways. Entrance by going upstairs between Departures 1 and Departures 2. You will go into the direction of the restaurants walk along them and turn left where you will see the entrance, on your left you can see a monitor which shows registration of some aircrafts standing at the gates.
The second entrance can be found at arrivals 3 on the left side, take the stairs to above and the rest will become clear to you.

If you take busline 174 direction Amsterdam Gaasperplas (service every 15 minutes) you are able to go to the spotting place of the Buitenveldertbaan. This spot has its own Mc Donalds restaurant and is closeby Schiphol East, if the sun shines forget this place because the spot faces south.

Most Dutch spotters websites have detailed descriptions of other spotters locations and I can assure you that you have plenty of them even if you don't have a car. Public transport is outstanding at the airport and also bikers don't have to complain.