neilalp

Air Travel Safety

Sun Nov 19, 2000 4:15 am

I have to write a persuasive paper on air travel safety. I need some points to talk about why it is not safe. thats the side i'm taking. I need facts to prove my side. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Any would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Soku39

RE: Air Travel Safety

Sun Nov 19, 2000 10:25 am

I love to fly it is really safe but If you think about the airlines strap you in to a steel tube for hours at a time. You are travvelling at over 600 mph being proppeled by small chemical exploision and hitting the ground at about 200 mph. Now some more reasonable reasons. For instance depending on what airline you fly your planes may not be maintained properly or at all. such as a few lines in west europe using old tupolevs ans Ils with the original tires. Not a safe airline. There are a few otheres like that but not many.
The Ohio Player

AerLingus

Sun Nov 19, 2000 12:10 pm

Old aircraft.
Budget crunches causing cutbacks in critical areas such as maintenance.
Dated air traffic control equipment.
Language discrepencies between air traffic controllers and foreign pilots.
Airport congestion. (Runway incursions are more common.)
Rise in terrorism.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

airnewzealand

Sun Nov 19, 2000 4:57 pm

1. Air Traffic is growing causing more and more aircrafts in one airport. This could lead to fatal accidents like The KLM and Pan Am(I think Pan Am) Colliding with each other on the runway.
2. Turbulence not being able to be detected. There has been a few incidents of people dying due to turbulence such as United Airlines flight from Narita. One person died due to severe neck wounds.
3. Pilots. These people play a big factor. Alot of planes over shoot runways. This could cause a fire in the cabin causing loss of life. Also Mis guidence. Such as the SQ flight. The pilot took of on the wrong runway.
4. Weather. Fog cover over the airport causing planes not being able to see very far.
Hopes these points help
Cheers
Mikey
PS They are just examples i don't want people biting my head about what i said about pilots.

The Ticketor

Soku39

Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:50 pm

Could you give me a name of a Western European airline that uses russian acft? Maybe you meant EASTERN European? May not be a big difference to you, but it is to me.