Why TWA Makes A Loss

Sun Nov 19, 2000 5:57 am

Yesterday I was flying TWA and spoke with a stewardess who was traveling as a passenger. She told me that TWA allowed her to travel as much as she wanted for FREE!

I own stock in TWA and I have been very upset to see this stock price falling all the time. No wonder the airline cannot make a profit if they keep giving away unlimited free tickets to everyone who works for them.

Matt D

RE: Why TWA Makes A Loss

Sun Nov 19, 2000 6:04 am

Here's a news flash for you:

ALL THE AIRLINES DO IT!!!!!!!!

It's called "Non-revving"

And most, if not all the airlines will carry employees of other airlines for free, if not then steeply discounted (90% off) the published fare.

ryanair

Sun Nov 19, 2000 6:52 am

Like Matt D said, almost every airline in the sky does that. The travel is SA, or space available, standby to you and me.

twa747100

Sun Nov 19, 2000 4:57 pm

What kind of person frigging buys stock in an airline and dosent check everything out!!!!

Sun Nov 19, 2000 5:11 pm

The reason they are losing money is because they bought an senior employee out with many tickets who is know selling them. Once he has sold all his tickets TWA will be one of the biggest money makers, with a new fleet, and expanding service! It will probably take another year or so until this happens!
Iain

CactusA319

Sun Nov 19, 2000 5:20 pm

Flying for free (or at a big discount) is one of the perks of this industry. I mean, some frontline employees don't even do this for the pay, it's for the travel bennies. And employee non-revving is the not really one of the reasons TWA is losing sh*tloads of money.

RE: Iainhol

Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:33 pm

>>The reason they are losing money is because they bought an senior employee out with many tickets who is know selling them. Once he has sold all his tickets TWA will be one of the biggest money makers, with a new fleet, and expanding service! It will probably take another year or so until this happens! <<

Are you talking about Karabu? That is the closest thing that I can come up with. If you are, then it will go on for 3 more years. And he buys tickets at 45% off, he didn't get a bunch of free ones. He got this deal after he pretty much crushed TWA, but made the stock price go up while he was there. Then, when they were about to go bankrupt, he signed a deal giving them a loan, and he gets the deep discount(I am a little foggy on this detail.). As soon as he signed that deal, he sold his stock, and left.

Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:35 pm

Actually, Carl Icahn (sp?) buys tickets at 55% advertised.

AA737-800

Sun Nov 19, 2000 10:07 pm

Carl Icahn is the fly in the ointment. He also get a good cut of every international ticket sokd, which is why TWA is dropping so many European destinations. It's a shame. That used to be our biggest market.

TWA has been plagued by inept management for years.

Mon Nov 20, 2000 2:25 am

AA737-800 45% off is the same as 55% advertised wouldn't you agree?

His name is spelled Ichan.