Sonic
Topic Author

Pan Am: Bankrupted Or Not?

Sun Nov 19, 2000 8:57 am

I thought that Pan Am is gone, but I I found these photos (taken in year 2000)

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © David Hill

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Andrew Povey

Matt D

RE: Pan Am: Bankrupted Or Not?

Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:02 am

Blessed young novice. Worry not.
You are not imagining things, nor have been misinformed. That Pan Am you are seeing is indeed real.
It is the third airline to bear that name. I'm not sure where thy are based, but it is a new airline ran by an old fat, obese guy named David Fink (I would think that any airline ran by a guy named Fink would be a red flag for trouble) running on some prestigious routes such as Gary, Indiana, Portsmouth, NH, Sanford, FL, and so on.

The original Chosen Instrument Pan Am Clippers stopped flying on Dec 04, 1991.

Pan Am II was started in 1996 by Marty Shugrue, of Eastern Airlines heritage. They flew LAX-MIA-JFK, using A300's. That airline must've got food poisoning because they died right after they swallowed Carnival Airlines.

Matt D

Correction

Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:06 am

I stated that David Fink was an old, fat obese guy.

I stand corrected. The statement should've read:

"....an old, BALD obese guy."

Sorry for the redundant wording and incomplete information.

keithpilot

Sun Nov 19, 2000 12:30 pm

Matt D-
Pan Am is headquartered in Portsmouth, NH. (and Dave Fink is my uncle.)

Keith

Sonic
Topic Author

Pan Am

Sun Nov 19, 2000 8:29 pm

So this Pan Am fly only shorhaul and have small fleet (how many planes?), but the first Pan Am was longhaul, I thing and how many planes they had?

Mon Nov 20, 2000 12:26 am

Actually, when I vitited Pan Am at PSM back in August (and met with Dave Fink) I have to say that I was pretty impressed by them. Not an outfit to waste money - my view is that they will probably last at least as long as Pan Am 1.

Their choice of routes is inspired - unlike most other startups, they have no competition (especially from the majors) and go to the cities people live, rather than work. There's a very important difference there!

watewate

Mon Nov 20, 2000 3:15 am

I'm just curious as to how they got the rights to the name Pan Am? I'm just not comfortable seeing Pan Am- the undisputed leader of its day (like SQ), is flying 727s out of municipal airports.

They should be stripped of their name! j/k. Glad to hear that they are doing well, though.

N202PA

Mon Nov 20, 2000 5:40 am

Pan Am III has 7 727-200s, with various hushkit systems. Three of the aircraft have the winglets that PA is now known for in the aviation community.

Additionally, GTS purchased the assets of PAII from bankruptcy in 1998; the PA name was purchased by a group headed by former PA management head Marty Shugrue, who ran the new airline as a discount carrier flying A300s from Miami to New York and Los Angeles. The airline dramatically expanded its route map and purchased financially ailing Carnival Airlines, but the wake of the ValuJet crash damaged PA's reputation, and bills mounted. PAII went bankrupt in February of 1998. Mellon's organization picked up the name and logo and started the operation we see today.