Philly Phlyer

For Our Russian Aviation Enthusiasts

Thu Nov 23, 2000 4:35 am

The Russian Aviation Enthusiasts and anyone interested in Russian Aviation should obtain a copy of the December 2000 edition of Flying Magazine. Thomas Block (one of the monthly contributors to the magazine) has written an article (with pictures) of a recent week spent flying with Aeroflot internationally and domestically. It is an interesting "inside" view of the airline from a pilot's perspective.

For those of you who don't read Flying Magazine, Thomas Block is a recently retired US Airways 767 Captain who has written a monthly column for the magazine for years and years. I always found his columns very interesting since he was able to relate the experiences of commercial aviation to those of the private pilot / enthusiast. I was able to meet Captain Block on a US Airways flight from London to Philadelphia several years ago (he was the pilot). He came back to visit for five minutes and proved to be a real gentleman.

Read the article on Aeroflot and enjoy.

JAT

RE: For Our Russian Aviation Enthusiasts

Thu Nov 23, 2000 6:39 am

Who publishes it and is it sold in Canada?

cba

Thomas Block

Thu Nov 23, 2000 9:38 am

Thomas Block is an old friend of Nelson Demille (he wrote The General's Daughter). They collaborated and wrote a book called Mayday. I reccomend reading it.

Thu Nov 23, 2000 10:06 am

If only I could get two people who I know of to write some stories for us guys.

One is a 737-700 pilot for Transaero who previously flew Polar/Siberian services for Aeroflot in the mid 80s.

The other is a Mi-26 pilot for Tyumenaviatrans who also has experience on the Tu-134, Il-62 and Il-86

Some stories they have told me have blown me away.

Can someone please tell me who publishes this mag?

Cheers

Scotty

KALB

Thu Nov 23, 2000 10:25 am

"FLYING" is published by Hachette-Filipacci Magazines,1633 Broadway, New York, NY 10019. It is sold in Canada, annual subscription rate $35.82. Capt. Block's article is excellent and informative. Great photos of IL-62M flight deck and crew. Also a good, short article on landing a 727 in icy conditions.