Philly Phlyer

For Our Russian Aviation Enthusiasts

Thu Nov 23, 2000 4:35 am

The Russian Aviation Enthusiasts and anyone interested in Russian Aviation should obtain a copy of the December 2000 edition of Flying Magazine. Thomas Block (one of the monthly contributors to the magazine) has written an article (with pictures) of a recent week spent flying with Aeroflot internationally and domestically. It is an interesting "inside" view of the airline from a pilot's perspective.

For those of you who don't read Flying Magazine, Thomas Block is a recently retired US Airways 767 Captain who has written a monthly column for the magazine for years and years. I always found his columns very interesting since he was able to relate the experiences of commercial aviation to those of the private pilot / enthusiast. I was able to meet Captain Block on a US Airways flight from London to Philadelphia several years ago (he was the pilot). He came back to visit for five minutes and proved to be a real gentleman.

Read the article on Aeroflot and enjoy.

JAT

RE: For Our Russian Aviation Enthusiasts

Thu Nov 23, 2000 6:39 am

Who publishes it and is it sold in Canada?

cba

Thomas Block

Thu Nov 23, 2000 9:38 am

Thomas Block is an old friend of Nelson Demille (he wrote The General's Daughter). They collaborated and wrote a book called Mayday. I reccomend reading it.

Thu Nov 23, 2000 10:06 am

If only I could get two people who I know of to write some stories for us guys.

One is a 737-700 pilot for Transaero who previously flew Polar/Siberian services for Aeroflot in the mid 80s.

The other is a Mi-26 pilot for Tyumenaviatrans who also has experience on the Tu-134, Il-62 and Il-86

Some stories they have told me have blown me away.

Can someone please tell me who publishes this mag?

Cheers

Scotty

KALB

Thu Nov 23, 2000 10:25 am

"FLYING" is published by Hachette-Filipacci Magazines,1633 Broadway, New York, NY 10019. It is sold in Canada, annual subscription rate $35.82. Capt. Block's article is excellent and informative. Great photos of IL-62M flight deck and crew. Also a good, short article on landing a 727 in icy conditions.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos