copper1

Reverse American Flag On Airliners.

Fri Nov 24, 2000 3:17 am

Why do airlines put the reverse side of the American flag on the starboard side of their aircraft. I realize that when one flys a flag such as the one from the USA it will look reversed when viewed from one side( Stars in the top right corner). It would seem to me that the flag should have the Stars in the top left corner no matter which side of the aircraft the flag is painted on. Is it proper flag protocol or what ?

I am curious about this and would like to know he answer.

Is it just American carriers that do this ? Here in Canada the flag is the same no matter which side it is viewed from so we don't have this " problem ". Do other carriers from other countries where the flag appears different depending on which side it is viewed from do the same as American carriers or do they show the flag the same way on both sides of the aircraft.

Copper1

Proper Protocol

Fri Nov 24, 2000 3:31 am

The US colors on aircraft are flown as if they were on a mast.

It's proper protocol. Good question.

copper1

RE: Proper Protocol

Fri Nov 24, 2000 3:34 am

Thanks DC-9CAPT. I figured that must be it. I do admit it does look different but certainly it is understandable.

Copper1

galaxy5

RE: Reverse American Flag On Airliners.

Fri Nov 24, 2000 7:54 am

its put that way because the american flag must always wave into the wind. its a tradition. plain and simple.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy