TAM, Varig Take Over Routes From Vasp

Fri Nov 24, 2000 9:55 pm

Viacao Aerea Rio-Grandense SA and Transportes Aereos Regionais SA, Brazil's No. 1 and No. 3 airlines, will take over several international flight routes previously served by rival Viacao Aerea Sao Paulo SA, Gazeta Mercantil newspaper reported.

The government said TAM, as the Sao Paulo-based airline is called, will be allowed to fly to Germany, Spain, Argentina and Uruguay, Gazeta reported. The carrier also gained rights to boost its frequency of flights to France and the U.S., the only two international destinations it was permitted to fly before.

Varig, as Brazil's largest airline is known, will be allowed to boost its frequency of flights to France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Canada and the U.S., where the company already flies, the daily said. The newspaper cited the country's civil aviation department as the source for the information on Varig and Tam.

The two airlines gained the slots previously assigned to debt- laden Vasp, which suspended its international flights in April to North America and Europe to cut costs.

steman

RE: TAM, Varig Take Over Routes From Vasp

Fri Nov 24, 2000 10:47 pm

Hi,
if VASP is desappearing from long haul destinations, why not allow TAM to grow more rather than give all those routes to Varig?
I'd really love to see TAM in Rome and Milan.
I think they are a very good airline and they need to join a global alliance, SkyTeam would be perfect.

Ciao

Stefano

duke

DoEs ThAt MeAn WhAt I ThInK?

Fri Nov 24, 2000 11:45 pm

Will we be seeing Varig's beautiful MD-11s in Toronto YYZ? AAAAAAH!
(did we ever?)              

HB-IWC

Fri Nov 24, 2000 11:58 pm

What happened to VASP's landing rights in BRU? They used to have 3 flights a week from Sao Paulo there.

varig md-11

Sat Nov 25, 2000 1:44 am

hi duke
I hope RG will fly the MD-11 to YYZ...on some thin routes they unfortunately fly the 767.In paris we have both:
-GRU-CDG: MD-11
-GIG-CDG:763

AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TN

Marco

Sat Nov 25, 2000 1:58 am

I hope VARIG can fly to YYZ, VASP left when they went bankrupt, by the way was the route profitable for them?

Thanks  
Proud to be an Assyrian!