MCOtoATL
Topic Author
Posts: 448
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 1999 12:01 pm

Tell Me About Aero California

Sat Nov 25, 2000 11:55 am

I saw some pictures on this site of Aero California. Living in Orlando, I don't know much about them. What can you tell me?

Thanks
 
johnboy
Posts: 2557
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 9:09 pm

RE: Tell Me About Aero California

Sat Nov 25, 2000 3:15 pm

Generally speaking, AeroCalifornia is the poor stepchild of Mexican airlines, and doesn't have as good of a reputation as Mexicana and AeroMexico. Latinplane is an excellent resource for Mexican aviation, perhaps he'll see this thread and respond in greater detail.

I believe AeroCalifornia's only US destination now is Los Angeles, although they have several flights daily from LAX. They also used to fly from PHX and TUS, years ago. They fly mostly to second- and third-tier cities in Mexico from LAX. They fly only older, "Shorty" DC-9s (not the stretch version). Their route structure seems to mainly focus on Baja California/Baja California Sur and the Mexican mainland from GDL/MEX to the North and West directions.

Unless they've recently changed their color scheme, they have fiendishly ugly white planes with "desert earth tone" colors, quite reminiscent of the OLD Frontier Airlines. I've never flown them, but until Alaska Airlines stepped into the picture recently, I know they were the only way to fly nonstop to the resorts around La Paz, BCS, Mexico from the US (there's a bit of trivia, i guess).
 
rojo
Posts: 2256
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 6:08 am

RE: Tell Me About Aero California

Sat Nov 25, 2000 3:44 pm

AeroCalifornia is the third mexican airline in terms of passengers. They are based at La Paz International Airport (LAP) and have a fleet of 11 DC9-14/15's and 10 DC9-32 (if I remember correctly). IATA code JR.
They used to code-share with American Airlines, but some problems with routes and the mexican government ended this agreement.
As a passenger, I can tell you that they have good inflight service and very good looking flight attendants. The only problem is that the interiors of the DC9's really look old. I personally like AeroCalifornia and they are working hard to keep the airline on business. They have been flying for a long time now and they help keep the fares low on some mexican destinations. Unfortunately we have a monopoly in the mexican airline industry with almost 80% of the market for the CINTRA group and the other 20% for all the other airlines.
Hope I answer your question.

Rojo
 
EIPremier
Posts: 1462
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2000 8:17 am

RE: Tell Me About Aero California

Sat Nov 25, 2000 6:36 pm

BTW, Alaska will discontinue their thrice-weekly Los Angeles to La Paz service on February 11, citing low load factors.
 
rojo
Posts: 2256
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2000 6:08 am

RE: Tell Me About Aero California

Sun Nov 26, 2000 7:54 am

I don't know why Alaska serves LAP. There is not much turism in that city. If someone is planning to go to Baja, then Los Cabos is the place to be. So Alaska should concentrate in the Los Cabos market.
AeroCalifornia has its base at LAP because it was founded there, but it is not a big hub for them.

Rojo
 
LatinPlane
Posts: 2471
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 1999 11:05 am

RE: Tell Me About Aero California

Sun Nov 26, 2000 2:01 pm


Hi,

Thanks Johnboy, I'm flattered by your remarks but in actuality I'm pretty sure that I know much less than the Mexican nationals here. But thanks!

AeroCalifornia only flies to Los Angeles and Tucson in the U.S. They are based in La Paz, state of Baja California, Mexico. Hence the name: AeroCalifornia. They are very prominent in LAX. They have about 10 or 15 flights to various beach resorts in Baja as well as the Mexican riviera and other inland Mexican destinations. Who knows when they're going to update their fleet as it's a company thats not public and owned by a very prominent family. Maybe they need to go public so they can expand and update their fleet and service.

Regards,
Apollo Diaz

Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.