Granite
Topic Author

Con Air....or Caledonian Wings?

Sun Nov 26, 2000 11:07 pm

Hi all

Neil,

Care to comment on the full page spread in the Scottish press this morning entitles 'Con Air'?

Maybe you want to tell the rest of the forum about your plans?

Nice to see a pic of you!

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

RE: Con Air....or Caledonian Wings?

Mon Nov 27, 2000 1:10 am

I´m waiting to see the follow up article.

englandair

Mon Nov 27, 2000 2:00 am

Granite-
What did the papers say?

Mon Nov 27, 2000 2:31 am

Gary - bloody awful pic that, especially after it had been blown up 200 times! This story was prompted by our friend F_boot, who as you see made a rather fortuitous appearance above - he gloatingly sent me copies of the emails from the journo concerned.

In the interests of truth and a complete story (something that seems to be rather lacking over at the Daily Record/Sunday Mail) - I append my response to them:

This has to be one of the worst researched, written and edited pieces of rubbish masquerading as news that I've seen since The Citizen during the heights of apartheid in South Africa.

I've provided my comments in bold after each relevant paragraph.

========
THE man behind Scotland's first international airline is a failed pilot linked to a trail of broken businesses.

Neil Robertson, 35, claims his firm, Caledonian Wings, will pioneer flights from
Prestwick to the USA and Canada.

Last week, he claimed he was buying Tristar jets which would be flying across the Atlantic by Easter.

But the closest Robertson has come to being an airline tycoon was running two clapped-out freight planes from a dusty airstrip in Africa.

Even that ended in disaster. Seven months ago, both planes were blown up by explosions which killed more than 100 people.

Wrong - both aircraft were damaged; according to my partner, Mike Snow, one has since been repaired and is fully operational.

The Sunday Mail can also reveal that Robertson, who calls himself "The Guvnor", has been involved in more than 10 "airlines" - few of which ever made it into the air.

10?!?! - Four, actually, three of which were operational! Also, it's nice to have confirmation that whoever originated this load of codswallop originated it from PPRuNe

His bases have included a string of war-torn African countries notorious for diamond and arms smuggling.

My past bases have been Ostend (Belgium); Lagos (Nigeria); Calgary(Canada); Johannesburg (South Africa) and Bujumbura (Burundi). Not one of those countries could be said to be "notorious for diamond and arms smuggling".

Fife-born Robertson, whose only pilot's qualification is a lapsed licence he
bought in Nigeria for pounds 60, returned home to set up Caledonian Wings.

Nope, I've got Nigerian, Burundian and South African licences.

Plugging the firm on TV and in the Press, he said it would be Scotland's first international airline. Prestwick's managing director, Tom Wilson, was persuaded the new airline could get off the ground.

To the best of my knowledge, it has never been 'plugged' on the TV. Nor have I 'plugged' it in the press - I have simply answered questions as they were posed by the Press.

He said: "If it gets the planes and finance to start up, there is no doubt it will work.

"We would welcome transatlantic flights back with open arms. It would be a major stimulant for the Ayrshire economy."

Nothing to argue with there - seems spot on to me!

But despite publishing ticket prices and advertising for staff, Robertson's airline
has no aircraft or pilots.

Perhaps the Sunday Mail/Daily Record would like to cover the cost of having aircraft sitting around doing nothing?

The company's "switchboard" is Robertson's mobile phone, while the "office" is
a laptop computer.

So? Not only will we be taking full advantage of the latest technology to allow all our staff to "work smarter, not harder" as it says on our website; but it also enable me to be in constant contact wherever in the world I may be. Perhaps this particular journo still uses a tin can on a bit of string and an old Imperial as the tools of his trade!

And the Civil Aviation Authority has never heard of him or his firm .

The website makes it very clear that we're going to buy an existing company - this obviates the need to apply for our own AOC and Operating Licence - and saves very substantial amounts of time. Strange that they should be saying that they've never heard of us though - as I've had several meetings with both the SRG and ERG on this project!

On his website, Robertson claims he will be raising pounds 350million to buy and overhaul 44 Tristar airliners.

No, that figure also includes the financing required for the upgrade project, which won't happen for a couple of years

He has boasted of creating 250 jobs at Prestwick with direct flights to Orlando,
New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Washington DC and Boston for as little as pounds 165 return.

Last week, he said he was close to clinching a pounds 30million deal with US airline giant Delta to buy three of its ageing Lockheed Tristars.

Three?!?! That's for the whole Delta package! - plus I didn't give them a fugure, either; and in any case it's wrong!.

The "deal" was to have led to Robertson buying the airline's entire fleet of 295-seater jets.

Don't think too much of the Sunday Mail's subeditor - he's left this glaring inconsistency with the previous sentence in!

He boasted: "We will have no problem filling our seats. It will be carriers like British Airways who will feel the pinch when we start up. As long as we can conclude this deal with Delta, we will be flying by Easter."

That's complete rubbish - I never said that at all! Added to which, BA doesn't even operate transatlantic services from Scotland!

But a senior Delta source revealed: "The last time this news came out, I checked and the reality was we have never actually talked with them.

"We run up against this sort of thing on a regular basis. It enhances their public
perception and, in a lot of cases, enhances negotiations with governments and
others to say they are talking with Delta Airlines."

In reality, we've been talking for some time with their Director of Aircraft Sales - with whom my partner had a very fruitful meeting with in ATL some 12 days ago.

Yesterday, an official Delta spokesman said it was their policy not to identify
firms involved in buying aircraft until the deal was complete.

Again, the subeditor seems to have left in a glaring inconsistency with the previous sentence!

Robertson's last HQ was an office at Bujumbura Airport in Burundi.

Nope, it was in the Affimet complex, in Bujumbura.

He was involved at various levels with "airlines" in Equatorial Guinea, Uganda,
Rwanda, Tanzania and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Nope, Burundi, South Africa, Canada and Nigeria.

The area is notorious for its civil wars, corruption and lawlessness.

Robertson's firms included City Connexions, SecureAir, FreshAir, TransOceanic,PegasusAir, Lionair, Skymaster Freight,Trans Lloyd Cargo and Africargo Airlines.

SecureAir, FreshAir and PegasusAir were all 'service brands' created to cover particular specialities of Africargo - valuables, perishables and livestock (especially horses) respectively. TLC was the previous operator of the CL44s; and Skymaster is the company that now owns one of them.

But only Africargo operated any aircraft. It was run by Robertson and another of his firms, City Connexions.

Yet another inconsistency - the journo just said that 'only Africargo operated any aircraft'! In any case it's untrue - City Connexion had several Let 410s, one of which is pictured on the company's website. Strange that the journo missed that, as he got most of the pix used in the article from the City Connexion website!

Africargo's two propeller-driven freight planes, built in 1961 and 1964, were destroyed at Kinshasa Airport in the Democratic Republic of Congo in April.

Turboprops actually - powered by Rolls Royce Tyne engines - but who's arguing? Both were damaged; one has since been repaired and the other is being repaired at the moment.

The inferno was blamed on a soldier dropping explosives. At least 100 people died and 200 were injured.

Shortly before the catastrophe, City Connexions were also grounded, with Robertson blaming it on "political problems".

The First Vice President of Burundi fell out with the Belgian owners of the group - he's a hard-line Tutsi that wanted to impose 'ethnic cleansing' against the Hutus, and the Belgians were opposed to this.

The Civil Aviation Authority said anyone wanting to run an airline in the UK would need both an Air Operating Certificate and an Operating Licence.

But a CAA spokeswoman said yesterday they had not been contacted by Caledonian Wings or any other firm Robertson has used for his latest venture - Celtic Airways, Celtic Aviation, Celtic Caledonian, Wings Holdings or the
Odyssey Group.

Of course not - as I said above, we're planning on buying an existing company with those documents already in place - as it clearly states on the website!

========

Unfortunately, it seems that this particular rag is well known for its tendency for fiction rather than fact. I've requested a retraction from the editor - together with an apology - but I have to say I'm not holding my breath.

Mon Nov 27, 2000 2:37 am

I can attest to journo's writing complete bollox in the papers-

my local rag thinks I'm studying nuclear physics in Cambridge!!   Nothing of the sort-Geography IN FACT.

Good Luck Gov.

Mon Nov 27, 2000 5:58 am

Unfortunately there is a lot wrong with the article, however your "scathing" rebuttal is even worse.
- Well great to see that you finally know what happened to "your" CL44´s Guvnor. However you never "ran" them.
- Please tell us what companies you were involved with in Ostend and in Calgary? I assume you had Canadian work authorisation?
- Well you have admitted to having fraudulently obtained a Nigerian ALTP, you did manage to qualify for a South African PPL, but how did you manage to get a Burundi licence?
- You have claimed to have had aircraft registered in Equatorial Guinea. CCA claims to have operations in Democratic Congo. You have been involved with Busy Bee in Entebbe, Uganda. And please tell us more about Canada.
- Whoops, those CL4´s again. Make up your mind, did you/do you own them, did you/do you operate them?

Mon Nov 27, 2000 6:12 am

Would you like to explain precisely what your role was in this whole thing, Freeboot - and more importantly, why you did it?

hkgspotter1

Mon Nov 27, 2000 10:32 am

If you are getting L1011s from Delta and you want to start service by easter, I think you should know by now when you will receive the first aircraft.

Mon Nov 27, 2000 11:08 am

For those people who don't have access to the article here it is:

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/shtml/NEWS/P9S1.shtml

Now Neil I have but a couple of questions for you.

1) Why is it that some weeks ago, when I presented various bits of information to this forum, which were quite able to be found out about on the net, you emailed me privately, and in veiled words, threatened me with legal action. Do you remember this? If not, just let me know, as I still have the email here. But now we are in a situation where a paper has printed an article, and you are asking them for a retraction and apology. Why aren't you screaming blue murder and threatening legal action to the paper as easily as you did to me, coz the Sunday Mail has a larger readership than the airliners.net forum, and it is also published in the area of your customer base.

2) Canada? You have never mentioned a Canadian operation. If you have the time let us know a bit more about it.

Cheers

Scotty

Mon Nov 27, 2000 11:50 am

How about looking at Ceilidh's credability this way:
Born in October 1965.
Left St.Crispins in 1980.
Worked for Laker for 1 year.
Claims to have attended university starting 1983.
Qualified for MSc in Child Psychology. Qualified for MA in Transport. (He refuses to provide any verification.)
Worked for Air Atlanta.
Managed Holiday Air in Calgary.
Managed TransOceanic in Nigeria, and simultaneously logged 4000hrs on B707 and DC8, without having any previous flight crew licence.
Not bad going to fit all that in before turning 30.

Arrives in South Africa in 1993.
Qualifies for South African PPL. (Why did he have to train from scratch if he already had 4000hrs?)
Attempts to start LionAir. ("But someone stole my business plan and started Phoenix with it...")
Creates the Africargo fright empire. (He refuses to provide any proof that any flight was ever undertaken for Africargo.)
Successfully manages CCA in Burundi. (3 Let410's flying 35hours per month before he arrives, operation seized by the government causing him to flee the country. Not very successful.)

He has no independantly verifiable history that agrees with his claims about himself.
And yet we must believe that he is the new Richard Branson now?

Mon Nov 27, 2000 6:09 pm

Scott - rest assured that the matter of this article has indeed been passed to my solicitors but frankly there's not a lot in there to go on other than inaccuracies. No actual libel (except possibly in the headline) has been made.

Freeboot - I've counted no less than six errors in your last post. I certainly don't have to provide any 'proof' of anything that I've done (or not, as the case might be) except to those with a legitimate interest. You have no legitimate interest - after all, as an anonymous person, we don't even know who you are!

Since you declined to answer the question about your role in the article, I'll tell everyone, shall I?

Subject:
Fwd: Celtic Airways/Africargo
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:52:51 -0800 (PST)
Free Boot
To:
ceo@celticairways.com

Oh dear Neil, can you guess what have we told them?

wrote: > Subject: Celtic Airways/Africargo
> To: f_boot@yahoo.com
> From:
> Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:42:22 +0000
>
> Freeboot,
>
> I would be extremely interested to hear of any
> information about the above
> companies or their CEO - a man you appear to have
> some knowledge of.
> Celtic are aquiring a great deal of publicity in
> Scotland, all favourable.
> There is, I believe, a different side to this story.
> I have already gathered a great deal of information
> about the companies and
> CEO but I am convinced you have information which
> you would prefer was more
> widely known.
> As you'll see from the e-mail tag, I work for
>
> newspaper.
> Any correspondence between us will, of course, be
> completely confidential.
> You have my word.
> Regards
>
>
>
>
> IMPORTANT NOTICE The information in this e-mail is
> confidential and should
> only be read by those persons to whom it is
> addressed and is not intended
> to be relied upon by any person without subsequent
> written confirmation of
> its contents. Furthermore, the content of this
> e-mail is the personal view
> of the sender and does not represent the advice,
> views or opinion of our
> company. Accordingly, our company disclaim all
> responsibility and accept
> no liability (including in negligence) for the
> consequences of any person
> acting, or refraining from acting, on such
> information prior to the receipt
> by those persons of subsequent written confirmation.
> In particular (but
> not by way of limitation) our company disclaims all
> responsibility and
> accepts no liability for any e-mails which are
> defamatory, offensive,
> racist or in any other way are in breach of any
> third party's rights,
> including breach of confidence, privacy or other
> rights. If you have
> received this e-mail message in error, please notify
> me immediately by
> telephone. Please also destroy and delete the
> message from your computer.
> Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying,
> disclosure, modification,
> distribution and/or publication of this e-mail
> message is strictly
> prohibited.

Mon Nov 27, 2000 11:58 pm

Only six errors Ceilidh?
You´re the one who has claimed these things about yourself.
When you enter onto a forum and make claims about yourself you must be able to back those claims up, not just say "it´s not your business". You told us about it, so you made it our business.
Proove you are what you say you are.

caravelle

Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:26 am

Maybe F-boot AND Ceilidh would emerge, please? Ceilidhs LOI from a few weeks back has not been mentioned since (that smells, incidentally), and, F-boot, a few of us here at the Forum would like to know a little something about yourself. I have no reason to distrust any of you, but somehow F-boot gathers all points....
I may be wrong. but I don't think so.

- caravelle
Trains and boats and planes....

Tue Nov 28, 2000 3:50 am

F_boot - I'll make you a deal - you disclose your true, verifiable identity together with your motives and I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you have. BTW, I recounted. You made eight errors, not six.

Caravelle - my identity isn't hidden - check my profile! You can email me directly if you like. The LOI is still bouncing back and forth (don't forget that the Americans had Thanksgiving last Thursday); but I can report that my partner had a very positive meeting with Delta's Director of Aircraft Sales.

Tue Nov 28, 2000 10:51 am

Well you know my questions, you always refuse to answer. Your identity isn't hidden, but no-one in actually knows you. You've told us all these wonderful things about yourself, but hen refuse to allow them to be independantly verified.
We have a mutual friend in Burundi who will be checking on your claimed Burundi licence in the next few days. Seeing as how you admit to a fraudulently obtained Nigerian ATP licence I'll be interested in what comes of this one.

Tue Nov 28, 2000 5:33 pm

Those that [b]need[/b] to know, know. Those that don't. don't.

You don't.

Whist we're at it, what do you know about Microsoft Publisher produced Sierra Leone plus Liberian and Equatorial Guinea licences which are issued by some bloke in England - not in those countries?? How many of these licences do YOU hold, and why?

Tue Nov 28, 2000 8:28 pm

Interesting, you are a man who acknowledges that he has obtained fraudulent professional qualifications.
You claim to have registered aircraft in Liberia and Equatorial Guinea, and then protest that the issuing authority is crooked. At least act coherently.

I certainly think the CAA will issue an AOC to a company fronted by someone with an acknowledged history of misrepresentation.  

Wed Nov 29, 2000 3:47 am

Er no, Freeboot, dear boy - I never registered any aircraft in Liberia or Equatorial Guinea. Mike Snow did.

So, back to the question - what do you know about Microsoft Publisher produced Sierra Leone plus Liberian and Equatorial Guinea licences which are issued by some bloke in England - not in those countries??

How many of these licences do YOU hold, and why?

Wed Nov 29, 2000 8:05 am

F_boot, ex-wife / ex-girlfriend / disgruntled ex-employee or just a total 5hit head.

Put up or shut up!

A330

Wed Nov 29, 2000 9:04 am

I am quite interested in how this Airline will take-off.
To be honest, 44 tristars operating from Prestwick???????
Are the Stage3 Guvnor? Otherwise, I'm afraid that you might be somewhat limited in airfields in the near future.
This whole operation just doesn't seem realistic to me, they will without any doubt start small with one or 2 planes, and then see if there IS a market.
Another thing? Is it true that pilots must bond 30.000£ to the airline, paid back in 3 years (to avoid running after the type-rating I suppose)
What happens if you go belly-up after a while??? Not critisizing, merely asking.
Anyway, starting business in Africa is never easy, I know, I lived there and close relatives had several companies in Central and East Africa.
Dreaming of creating my own passenger airline in the future in Central/East Africa (Entebbe as hub), I am anxious of the progress and introduction of Caledonian Wings.

by the way, do people remember Exalibur Airways, the "first" scottish long haul carrier?
Shiek!

goingboeing

Wed Nov 29, 2000 9:27 am

Forgive me here, but I find it difficult to believe that anyone who was in the process of starting up an airline would have better things to do than argue on an airliners message board.

Wed Nov 29, 2000 6:03 pm

A330 - Of course the L1011 is a Stage III aircraft - unlike some of the older DC10s and B747s. The Scottish operation will start with three aircraft - the figure of 44 refers to the whole Delta package, of which only 30 or so will be kept with the balance being used as a parts source.

If the company goes under whilst crews are still bonded, they don't owe a cent. (And it's US$30,000, NOT £30,000). The sole reason for doing this is, as you correctly pointed out, to ensure that people stay with us for a minimum of three years.

Actually, the first Scottish long haul operator was Highland Express - Excalibur started from Birmingham from the ashes of TEA UK!

Goeingboeing - I don't have much of a social life!   

Scotty

Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:12 pm

Excalibur the first Scottish long haul carrier? I dont think so. Don't you recall the ill fated Highland Express?

And way back in the mists of time, a guy named Adam Thomson first gave flight to his much respected Caledonian Airways in Scotland. Eventually became BCAL of course until such times as Maggie Thatcher reckoned that the free market was OK as long as BA got all of it.

Bring back the Golden Lion

A330

Thu Nov 30, 2000 12:50 am

Saw the website, and it looks quite professional, with A LOT of information, so I invite anyone to go to Ceilidh's profile and click the website mentionned.
I was sceptical about the operation, but now I am genuinly interested in it's progression.
They even got salary lists for their future employees (they look GREAT by the way... who knows, I 'd certainly like to fly a REAL plane oneday...)
Oh well, let's see what comes of it!

Tino

BTW. Ceilidh, thank you for your corrections and information concerning my post.
Shiek!

caravelle

Sceptics:

Thu Nov 30, 2000 1:54 am

Sceptic, indeed. Me too.
I wish Neil all the best, this world needs people with guts (not to be taken literally if you're fond of the brew, Ceilidh), but I can't help wondering if his is a dream scheme more than a theme scheme.
I do wish F_boot could provide some further info on his role in this thing. Just mistrust, professional grievance - or what?
As for Neil, my honest opinion is (regrettably) he'll never fly. L-1011s, no matter where they come from, are things of the past. And Prestwick, no more than Oslo, is the centre of the world.
Hope I'm wrong, though...

- caravelle

Thu Nov 30, 2000 2:32 am

Caravelle - fair comment; and at the end of the day it's going to come down to two groups of people with money: the financiers and the passengers. We've got the financiers to buy the Delta package; we're still talking to people about the funding of the CalWings project. (Remember, there are two very distinct companies here - one is the ACMI operation; and the other is CalWings, which will simply be a client, albeit one that we have created).

We believe that there is a viable niche market for these aircraft from Scotland. Look at the country - 6 million people; twice that of Ireland yet with only one direct service to the USA (EWR, by CO); one indirect one (BWI via REY on FI); and no airline unless you count Loganair! Compare that with Ireland - numerous airlines, including two significant ones (FR and EI) and what, 10 or so US destinations from DUB/SNN?

For any new airline, the most important consideration is to minimise its fixed costs (overhead). This we can do with the L1011 - if we leased in an A330 or B767, our overhead would be as much as ten times higher! Sure, they burn a lot less fuel, but remember, we want to serve several destinations on a low frequency, point-to-point (rather than hub-to-hub high frequency basis as is the norm on transatlantic schedules). We therefore need three aircraft to do this, with a utilisation per aircraft of around 150 hours each - a lessor of a new aircraft would require a minimum utilisation of 300+ hours per month!

Hopefully, we'll be able to be so successful that we can, in time, migrate onto the newer, more fuel efficient aircraft. Having said that, whilst they burn a lot less fuel their overall maintenance costs are not that much less (due to the much higher component costs due to a lack of parts on the secondary market; and the L1011 with the -524B4 is a remarkably fuel efficient aircraft - having a 20% lower fuel burn than the GE CF6-50C2 powered DC10-30.

Time will tell!

Sat Dec 02, 2000 3:00 am

Hmmm.
Remember the quote of Turner Boswick, the General Director of Let, after the Ceilidh's "deal" for the Let610 aircraft under the name of City Connection was cancelled: "City Connexion and Airline Partners deserve each other, if you follow my drift. I don't think we had a real player in either one of them."

caravelle

Sat Dec 02, 2000 3:29 am

Neil - is the Gothenburg connection still on?
F_boot: Can you show your face?

- caravelle

Sat Dec 02, 2000 5:18 am

I don't know how credible LET's word is. They just went out of business.

Sat Dec 02, 2000 5:25 am

Neil

You mentioned some time ago something about a Canadian operation you were involved with.

I asked you if you could provide us with the name of this operation. What type of operation was it? Charter? ACMI? Sked? Cargo?

Also, I have a question for you on another matter.

From this website is a short bio on yourself

http://rapidttp.com/cargo/whoswho/robertsn.html

ROBERTSON, Neil D
Group Chief Executive, Aircargo Airlines, Johannesburg
Born 5 October 1965 in Scotland
Educated: Harrow School, England
Qualifications: MInstD, MBIM, MCIT
Career: Laker Airways, UK 1981-82; British Atlantic Airways 1983-85; Transoceanic Airways 1985-89; Chieftain Aviation plc 1989-93; Lionair Limited 1993-95; Odyssey Group Limited 1995-date.
Achievements: Masters degree in child psychology.
Leisure: Flying, travel, reading.
Spouse: Arina
Children: Anri, Izel
PO Box 22860, Helderkruin, 1733
Tel: (011) 467-0326 Fax: (011) 465-2754
Email: cea@transoceanic.net

I will grant you that some of this information is out-of-date:

You were born in 1965, and from http://www.crispins.co.uk/expupils/guestbook/1980/gb1980.htm you left St Crispin's School in Berkshire in 1980 (even though the bio above says you went to Harrow School in Middlesex). You have been in employment since 1981.

My questions are:

1) If you have been in employment since 1981, when did you find the time to obtain MInstD, MBIM, MCIT and a Masters Degree in Child Psychology? And what University did you get this qualification from?

You have stated in the past that these qualifications have no bearing when one has experience. However, a Masters Degree is what? At least 4 years of full-time study? Maybe more? So, although the qualification may not have any bearing on your current venture, I feel that giving the name of the university where you obtained the degree from will get rid of any doubt in my mind at least.

2) Going back to my original question on the Canadian operation. Laker and British Atlantic were UK operations. Transoceanic was a Nigerian operation? Chieftain I take is a UK operation because of it being a plc? Lionair was your failed South African venture. Odyssey Group is the group which is the current venture right? The one registered in the Isle of Man?

Where then is this Canadian operation you have said you have been involved in?

Now Neil, I have asked you these questions before on a couple of occasions, and you have managed to skirt them quite easily, but I think that they have to be answered for at least some speculation to come to an end.

So I will repeat

Question 1)

What was the name of the Canadian operation you were involved in?

Question 2)

What University did you obtain the MInstD, MBIM, MCIT and a Masters Degree in Child Psychology from?

The format I suggest you take in answering these questions is:

Answer to Question 1)

The name of my Canadian operation was ________

Answer to Question 2)

The name of the university was _____________

See, it's as easy as filling in the blanks 

Cheers

Scotty

Sat Dec 02, 2000 11:09 am

Scott - your assumptions are actually wrong. I was at Harrow prior to St Crispins, and I certtainly wasn't in "full time employment from 1981 on". Actually, I joined Laker in Dec 1981 and if you knew anyything about it, you'd know that the company was put out of business on Friday, 05 Feb 82.

I went toi Uni afterwards and again, as you should be well aware, a Masters does not require full time attendance.

I was based in Canada in late 89/early 90.

Unless you have a particular reason for wishing to know - in which case please tell me - the names really don't matter.

Sat Dec 02, 2000 11:12 am

Sorry, it's 2.12 am - I was at Harrow after St Crispins.

Sat Dec 02, 2000 6:19 pm

... and MInstD means "Member of the Institute of Directors".

VC-10

Sat Dec 02, 2000 7:19 pm

I haven't read all the posts but wasn't Caledonian Airways (Prestwick) Ltd the first scottish international airline ?

Granite
Topic Author

Sat Dec 02, 2000 11:09 pm

Hi Neil

Once you have got off the ground, I think you need to invite Brissie_Lions over to Scotland and give him a first class seat on your first flight.

Rub his nose in it  

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

RE: F_boot

Mon Dec 04, 2000 6:48 pm

I was surprised by this article, then I decided to look at the other headlines for the Sunday Mail(sorry about the capitals people, but that's how it appears on the website, and I don't have time to retype them.):

-EXPOSED: TUBBY CONMAN BEHIND POUNDS 3M OF CLONED CREDIT CARDS

-SCOTS TO GET A FAT CONTROLLER

-RANGERS STAR AND THE TERROR KILLER OFF YOUR DRY CLEANING AT

-MASKED MAN IN DRUGS RAID

-LABOUR SPLIT ON MARRIAGE
CABINET
Minister Tessa Jowell believes the Government should not promote marriage as the ideal situation for raising children, it was reported yesterday....

and others all available at http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/shtml/NEWS/index.shtml.

All the News That's Fit to Print .

A330

Tabloid Posters

Tue Dec 05, 2000 3:18 am

F_boot's post is a disgrace for the forum, I for one DO NOT want this forum to become a tabloid full off gossip aimed to discredit people.
Please delete this post.
It is clear that some people only want to harm other forum contributors, like Ceilidh.

Some people may even believe the Sunday Mail, although we all know that this magazine is a tabloid, and does not write serious journalism. It is this kind of bad journalism that puts the aviation world in a bad light, and now, Airliners.net is contributing with this through some "tabloid posters".
I for one am disgusted.

Tino
Shiek!

Tue Dec 05, 2000 3:35 am

Tino - you're spot on there. Just run a search on F_boot and you'll see that each and every posting has been an attack. I know that it's him behind these stories, because he sent me the following:

Subject:
Fwd: Celtic Airways/Africargo
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:52:51 -0800 (PST)
Free Boot
To:
ceo@celticairways.com

Oh dear Neil, can you guess what have we told them?

wrote: > Subject: Celtic Airways/Africargo
> To: f_boot@yahoo.com
> From:
> Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:42:22 +0000
>
> Freeboot,
>
> I would be extremely interested to hear of any
> information about the above
> companies or their CEO - a man you appear to have
> some knowledge of.
> Celtic are aquiring a great deal of publicity in
> Scotland, all favourable.
> There is, I believe, a different side to this story.
> I have already gathered a great deal of information
> about the companies and
> CEO but I am convinced you have information which
> you would prefer was more
> widely known.
> As you'll see from the e-mail tag, I work for
>
> newspaper.
> Any correspondence between us will, of course, be
> completely confidential.
> You have my word.
> Regards
>
>
>
>
> IMPORTANT NOTICE The information in this e-mail is
> confidential and should
> only be read by those persons to whom it is
> addressed and is not intended
> to be relied upon by any person without subsequent
> written confirmation of
> its contents. Furthermore, the content of this
> e-mail is the personal view
> of the sender and does not represent the advice,
> views or opinion of our
> company. Accordingly, our company disclaim all
> responsibility and accept
> no liability (including in negligence) for the
> consequences of any person
> acting, or refraining from acting, on such
> information prior to the receipt
> by those persons of subsequent written confirmation.
> In particular (but
> not by way of limitation) our company disclaims all
> responsibility and
> accepts no liability for any e-mails which are
> defamatory, offensive,
> racist or in any other way are in breach of any
> third party's rights,
> including breach of confidence, privacy or other
> rights. If you have
> received this e-mail message in error, please notify
> me immediately by
> telephone. Please also destroy and delete the
> message from your computer.
> Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying,
> disclosure, modification,
> distribution and/or publication of this e-mail
> message is strictly
> prohibited.

There is no doubt in my mind or that of anyone else involved in the project that his goal is to destroy it before it gets off the ground. Why, I have no idea - perhaps you'd like to tell us, Freeboot?

This is yet another of the pieces of cr@p put about by Freeboot who must be ecstatic that he's found a journo both gullible enough to believe him and stupid enough not to properly research his stories.

My former girlfriend, Arina van Aswegen set herself up as a Y2K consultant in early 1998, and did contract work for a major retailer, a local banking group and a global IT firm. However, she lacked many of the skills that she claimed she had, and after being fired by all three of her clients she was subsequently sued by the retail group for breach of contract and damages after causing serious damage to several of their software systems.

Her deteriorating mental condition - I later discovered she was diagnosed as being a paranoid schizophrenic and detained for some time in a Johannesburg mental hospital - caused the collapse of our relationship. I was in Gabon with one of the CL44s when she finally went over the edge - demanding that I bail her out of her suit with the retail group; harassing the wife of one of my partners and deluging me with abusive faxes and emails. When I told her that our relationship was now over, she said that she "would destroy me"unless I changed my mind or "I would regret it for the rest of my life".

Around two months later, I was contacted by the SA Police who said that she had reported finding some pornographic drawings on a desktop computer she claimed that I used. I was able to satisfy them that the computer was hers, not mine - as my computer had multiple security systems which prevented her from gaining access - and that on the date the drawings were saved onto the computer I was in Uganda with my partner and an associate. I was told later that the police wanted to charge her with perjury, but the State Prosecutor's Office decided that they would be unlikely to get a conviction based on her mental state and that the file should remain dormant.

The retail group won both their case and some R1m in compensation and damages in mid 1999, and she was made bankrupt as a result.

I have referred this article to my solicitors for advice and action, as I believe that it contains numerous libellous statements. In common with last week's story, it also contains many factual errors and downright lies - some of which are even at variance to statements made in the previous article.

However, two things are of interest in it - the first is the quotes from Arina's "friends" which I would suspect is in fact Freeboot; and the second is that she's now married. It has previously been suggested by others on PPRuNe that Freeboot may be married to Arina' - I had discounted those suggestions, but it may well be that they were on target.

LHMark

Why?

Tue Dec 05, 2000 4:33 am

Until now, I've fastiduously avoided posting on any threads concerning Neil or Caledonian wings. But I'm gonna break my own rule. I like Neil. He brings value to the forum. He'a a good source of information and I've learned from him. I'm not going to speculate on the state of his venture. I do have two points, though.

This is the Internet, for chrissake. Why would anyone here trust anyone else, take any other forum member's word as law, or allow their opinions to be swayed by any mudslinging that appears as ASCII text on a little screen?

Why the enormous interest in "getting to the bottom of this?" Neil is not defrauding anyone. None of you are investors in his airline, so no harm, no foul. The vehemence and doggedness of some of you in your homemade fourth-estate "pursuit of the truth" is surprising. I, fo one, am stopped from worrying too much about Neil's airline because I have a life. Maybe some of you should go out and try to find lives, too.

That said, I have to admit, it makes a damn good soap opera- better than anything on TV. We like airlines and planes. Let's get back to the business of liking them. -Mark
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos