jmc1975

America West Express Beech 1900D

Tue Nov 28, 2000 1:17 pm

I have heard rumors that Mesa Airlines will be shedding it's 1900Ds at Phoenix where it operates as America West Express. Does any one know if that is true? If it isn't, do you know if they will paint any of the 1900Ds in new America West colors, as they have with the Dash 8s and CRJs?

desertjets

RE: America West Express Beech 1900D

Tue Nov 28, 2000 2:10 pm

Last summer in Aviation Week said that Mesa-Airlines is selling back about 20 of their 60 BE-1900's back to Raytheon. However as far as that article said is that much of the cutbacks would come from Mesa's own operations in New Mexico and not from the AWEX codeshare. America West's agreement with Mesa has options for additional Dash 8 and CRJ aircraft. I don't really see the sell-back effecting HP though.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

crjmech

Tue Nov 28, 2000 2:22 pm

I recently read an e-mail from the head of our QA dept. saying that all reference to the 1900's should be removed from any company manuals due to them being removed from the Mesa Airlines (HP Express) system. I know some of them were returned to Raytheon, but most of those were sitting in storage. I'm guessing that the planes operating in HPX livery will either be sent to the codeshareless Mesa operation or to Air Midwest (a subsidiary of the Mesa Air Group). In that case, they'll end up in the new Mesa house colors, USX colors, or maybe even Midwest Express colors (due to Air Midwest's new codeshare agreement with them). Once again, I'm just guessing. One of our PHX-based members like DesertJets may know more about this.
Thou shalt mind thine altitude,lest the ground reach up and smite thee.

desertjets

Tue Nov 28, 2000 2:42 pm

I did a little looking around. All HPX flights flown by the BE-1900D are shown as being operated by Air Midwest on Travelocity's timetables. This includes cities that see both Dash-8s and Beech's (YUM and FLG). Very interesting. The last time I was at PHX (July) there will still plenty of Beech's buzzing around the tarmac.

But the only routes flown by the Beeches now are to Kingman, Lake Havasu, Bullhead City, Prescott, Sierra Vista, Santa Fe (which is a new route), and Farmington, NM. And if those destinations were not subsidized somehow I don't see how they would support a Dash-8.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia