AirTran DC-9 Emergency Landing At ATL

Thu Nov 30, 2000 6:05 am

CNN just broke into its election coverage to report on an Air-Tran DC9 which made an emergency landing at Atlanta. No word on where the plane was enroute from or to, but the pilots apparently reported smoke in the cockpit and the plane seems to have been evacuated on the runway or an adjoining taxiway. Fire-trucks were in attendance and there was smoke or condensation visible in the air alongside the plane... Anybody have more details?

---
Mike

AA737-823

Surprise!

Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:16 am

You know, not to be negative or sarcastic, but this airline just does not have the luck.

First, let's look at the Flight 592 disaster, that happened on my birthday, May 11. That was due to a fire.

Then they had that 717 make an emergency landing due to electrical problems/shorting out, which could have become a fire hazard.

Now they've had another fire issue.

I don't have any problem at all with low cost carriers- I love Southwest and would not hesitate to fly them again. But Airtran/Valujet is a line that I have zero confidence in. They made a good choice to go with those 717's, and in my opinion they can't move them in fast enough. Those DC-9s are WAY WAY WAY past their prime.

Don't get me wrong here either- the DC-9 is my favorite plane. Legend's DC-9's are fitted with cargo hold fire detection AND supression systems. But AFAIK AirTran hasn't done this.

So, bring in the 717s and make a safer airline!!!

And more profitable too!!!
R

CactusA319

RE: AirTran DC-9 Emergency Landing At ATL

Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:23 am

A 717 had electrical probs.? Hadn't heard of that one. I did hear about another DC-9 making an emergency landing at GSO a few months back because of major smoke in the cockpit. The pilots later said they barely made it back to the airport because the smoke was so thick. I think it was an electical fire of some sort. Very scary.

watewate

Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:26 am

DC 9's are flying safely and holding their own in many airlines- even in major like NW. Hope nothing but the best for Air Tran.

wilcharl

Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:51 am

Im sure "me" will be able to confirm this but as far as i know all of our dc-9s also have fire detection/suprssion

me

RE: AA737-823

Sat Dec 02, 2000 4:05 am

To correct a statement in your post, ALL of AirTrans DC-9's have cargo fire/smoke detection and supression equiptment installed. Check your facts.