USAirKid

Re: Amazon Fleet Growing

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:58 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
Note that even if the item is available locally, there may be a delay in processing the order if the No Rush option is selected, since Amazon gives priority to processing orders that have faster shipping speeds selected.

Also, it seems that Amazon likes to hold a lot of the local inventory for Same-day or One-day deliveries. A lot of my Two-day orders for example ship out of the Inland Empire of Southern California (especially Eastvale or Moreno Valley). I highly doubt that the majority of my orders aren't stocked locally.

The other thing that "no rush" gives Amazon the ability to do is to slot packages in to hit their minimum daily package requirements with last mile providers. (e.g. They contract with last mile providers to deliver at least say 2,000 packages in this market per day. If they only have 1,900 scheduled that day, they find 100 packages to upgrade to deliver that day, since it doesn't cost them more.)

I've seen "no rush" orders that were placed around midnight upgraded to deliver the same day. I checked with a friend of a friend who works in Amazon's logistics department, who confirmed that its the minimum daily package requirement that drives this upgrade, since Amazon isn't going to pay more to deliver the package.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:56 pm

For what it's worth, with regard to my post 1350 above, I did additional investigation and I believe that I am mistaken as to the way the contracts line up with regard to Pinnacle Logistics. While I think everything else in the post is correct, I have come to believe that Pinnacle is actually a subcontractor of the ATSG subsidiary that has the contract with the Amazon entity.

Meaning that, rather than Amazon contracting directly with Pinnacle, I now understand that the ATSG subsidiary actually hired Pinnacle to provide services in the places that it provides services to Prime Air. There were press releases and newspaper articles at the time which I read to say otherwise, and I now think they were just sloppily-worded.

So...while the ATSG entity probably isn't going to make as much profit from having Pinnacle do the work as it would if it did the work with its own people, it is still in the driver's seat with regard to the outstations. There are lots of reasons to hire someone else to do work that you can do yourself, and apparently ATSG believes that the customer is best served by having Pinnacle handle certain stations rather than employees of LGSTX.

On another front, I have no confirmation as to whether Pinnacle (or anyone else) will be replacing the LVIA airport authority as the ground services contractor at ABE, but, as I said, with the growing volume of flights and packages, and the broader array of flight times, a highly-experienced contractor with significant management depth and a broader skill set might be necessary. A smart airport authority might determine that its primary mission is promoting and facilitating the continued expansion of the use of the airport, regardless of who actually conducts the ground operation. (If I own a bar, and I also make money by bartending there, and I have built the business so much that the crush of patrons on Friday and Saturday night is more than I reasonably can handle, I might prefer to step out of the bartending role and instead maximize the profits that my bar can make by hiring a couple of way-faster bartenders (who maybe can do bartender tricks, too), and have me just act more like a traditional owner.)

travaz

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:04 am

Wjcandee thanks for the answer. One other question I have is do any of the Aircraft have any room to carry company employee's on dead heads or as a perk?

bravoindia

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:20 am

wjcandee wrote:
For what it's worth, with regard to my post 1350 above, I did additional investigation and I believe that I am mistaken as to the way the contracts line up with regard to Pinnacle Logistics. While I think everything else in the post is correct, I have come to believe that Pinnacle is actually a subcontractor of the ATSG subsidiary that has the contract with the Amazon entity.

Meaning that, rather than Amazon contracting directly with Pinnacle, I now understand that the ATSG subsidiary actually hired Pinnacle to provide services in the places that it provides services to Prime Air. There were press releases and newspaper articles at the time which I read to say otherwise, and I now think they were just sloppily-worded.

So...while the ATSG entity probably isn't going to make as much profit from having Pinnacle do the work as it would if it did the work with its own people, it is still in the driver's seat with regard to the outstations. There are lots of reasons to hire someone else to do work that you can do yourself, and apparently ATSG believes that the customer is best served by having Pinnacle handle certain stations rather than employees of LGSTX.

On another front, I have no confirmation as to whether Pinnacle (or anyone else) will be replacing the LVIA airport authority as the ground services contractor at ABE, but, as I said, with the growing volume of flights and packages, and the broader array of flight times, a highly-experienced contractor with significant management depth and a broader skill set might be necessary. A smart airport authority might determine that its primary mission is promoting and facilitating the continued expansion of the use of the airport, regardless of who actually conducts the ground operation. (If I own a bar, and I also make money by bartending there, and I have built the business so much that the crush of patrons on Friday and Saturday night is more than I reasonably can handle, I might prefer to step out of the bartending role and instead maximize the profits that my bar can make by hiring a couple of way-faster bartenders (who maybe can do bartender tricks, too), and have me just act more like a traditional owner.)

Too bad the LVIA is a train wreck, them getting any new service or accommodation to existing operators is as smooth as the repeal of Obamacare. They politicians of Whitehall as well as Northampton ( two adjacent towns north and west of the airport are advocating against expansion as they already believe the airport is too busy and too loud with the heavies. I guess creating jobs and putting revenues into the local community is less important than background noise heard 12 times a day now. On a bright note the word is they are going to break ground for one extra spot at the cargo ramp.

Will as always great work. Thanks to all In the thread providing great info.
Jet-A, coffee, headset.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:39 am

travaz wrote:
Wjcandee thanks for the answer. One other question I have is do any of the Aircraft have any room to carry company employee's on dead heads or as a perk?

Speaking strictly about the aircraft configurations -- because FAA regs, company policies, and the discretion of the captain dictate who can fly and in what seat -- it shakes out this way.

In the CAM 767-200BDSFs flown by ABX and ATI, there are two "observer" seats in the cockpit area, and 3 seats, arranged as basically a bench, in the supernumerary compartment (which is behind the cockpit and in front of the rigid cargo barrier and is separated from the cockpit by a door). The lav in this a/c is accessed from the supernumerary compartment.

In the CAM 767-300BDSFs flown by ABX and ATI, there is one "observer" seat and 3 supernumerary seats in the cockpit (which in this aircraft is basically everything in front of the rigid cargo barrier and partially alongside a barrier with a door to the cargo deck that opens laterally rather than longitudinally). There is no separate compartment, so the lav here is accessed from the single area that is the cockpit. I assume that the GTI BDSF layout is the same, but I didn't confirm that. The purpose-built Boeing 767-300 freighters in use at UPS have an essentially-similar cockpit layout to the BDSF.

1337Delta764

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:53 pm

I was wondering, are packages ever interlined between the Prime Air carriers? I remember I once had one package that shipped out of the Shakopee fulfillment center, then went to Rockford, then Wilmington, then Phoenix for final delivery by the USPS. Since Rockford appears to now be ABX rather than ATI, will the package be interlined to the ATI if going to PHX, or will Amazon now have to use UPS or FedEx to meet the two-day guarantee from Shakopee? Although ABX flies between CVG and PHX, I think it is only for DHL, not Prime Air.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:42 pm

1337: I think you look at flights rather than carriers. Any flights flown for Amazon carry Amazon stuff only, and it doesn't matter who is flying the plane that day. Any flights flown for DHL carry DHL stuff. The two don't cross.

So if there's a Prime Air flight serving a city, packages departing on it can be flown to any other Prime Air city, either through CVG or on a point-to-point flight, but always on a flight operating for Prime Air. In other words, if it gets on Prime Air somewhere, it will finish the air portion of its journey on Prime Air, and it doesn't matter which operator is flying the aircraft.

1337Delta764

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:16 pm

wjcandee wrote:
1337: I think you look at flights rather than carriers. Any flights flown for Amazon carry Amazon stuff only, and it doesn't matter who is flying the plane that day. Any flights flown for DHL carry DHL stuff. The two don't cross.

So if there's a Prime Air flight serving a city, packages departing on it can be flown to any other Prime Air city, either through CVG or on a point-to-point flight, but always on a flight operating for Prime Air. In other words, if it gets on Prime Air somewhere, it will finish the air portion of its journey on Prime Air, and it doesn't matter which operator is flying the aircraft.

So my guess is that Two-Day Prime orders out of Shakopee to the Phoenix area will mostly go via Shakopee-RFD-CVG-PHX route for local delivery either by Amazon Logistics or the USPS. Anything upgraded to One-Day Shipping from there will probably ship either UPS or FedEx out of MSP via SDF or MEM, respectively.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:44 am

1337: I think you are correct!

frmrCapCadet

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:14 pm

wj - thanks. There is a lot about Amazon many of us do not know - despite being a user about the time they started!
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

wjcandee
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:32 am

Cap: My pleasure!!

FWIW, 1709A flew another test flight today, a little more extensive than the one two weeks ago. This is the now-all-white Atlas 767-300BDSF that was previously operated as a freighter by EuroAtlantic and stored at GYR for five months in EuroAtlantic livery before being bought by Atlas. It has been undergoing mechanical work and new white paint at GYR. Maybe getting ready for delivery soon.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 pm

And 1709A should be on its way from GYR to CVG today.

That makes 8 767-300s operational for Atlas in the Prime Air regime, currently operating 5 routes plus a hot spare. This is the first 767-300 for any Amazon carrier that was purchased already-converted.

There are currently 8 767-300s delivered to ATI for operation on Prime Air, currently operating 5 routes plus a hot spare. The latest one, 337AZ, is at ILN for induction and should be operational soon. ATI is also operating 7 767-200s for Amazon Prime Air, on 6 routes. One of the 7 is currently in C-check at ILN.

ABX is operating six routes for Prime Air with 767-200s.

BOEING777EK

Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:17 pm

So that leaves N1709A with no Prime Air painting done before delivery

cjg225

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:14 pm

bravoindia wrote:
Too bad the LVIA is a train wreck, them getting any new service or accommodation to existing operators is as smooth as the repeal of Obamacare. They politicians of Whitehall as well as Northampton ( two adjacent towns north and west of the airport are advocating against expansion as they already believe the airport is too busy and too loud with the heavies. I guess creating jobs and putting revenues into the local community is less important than background noise heard 12 times a day now. On a bright note the word is they are going to break ground for one extra spot at the cargo ramp.

Well, to be fair, the NIMBYs in the area just aren't used to the sound heavies make. It's not like heavies have utilized ABE for decades.

I'm hardly a NIMBY, but I was kind of surprised to hear a heavy land at 2:30am the other night. Woke me up. Looking at FlightAware, it's apparently not unusual, so I guess it was just unusual for it to have woken me up.

East Allen approved that FedEx Ground facility just off the airport last year, so it's not like the County is completely opposed to expansion of logistics. And truck operations are much more disruptive than aircraft operations.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

wjcandee
Topic Author

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:02 pm

BOEING777EK wrote:
So that leaves N1709A with no Prime Air painting done before delivery

Correct. Intentionally. It's going to be a broadly used spare.

bravoindia

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:35 pm

cjg225 wrote:
bravoindia wrote:

Well, to be fair, the NIMBYs in the area just aren't used to the sound heavies make. It's not like heavies have utilized ABE for decades.

I'm hardly a NIMBY, but I was kind of surprised to hear a heavy land at 2:30am the other night. Woke me up. Looking at FlightAware, it's apparently not unusual, so I guess it was just unusual for it to have woken me up.

East Allen approved that FedEx Ground facility just off the airport last year, so it's not like the County is completely opposed to expansion of logistics. And truck operations are much more disruptive than aircraft operations.

Understood on the FedEx Ground facility, not that they had a choice with the debt that they cleared, but G4 is ABE pride and joy and they've been flying mad dogs here for years, not at 230am but still much louder than the CF6s on these 767s.
Jet-A, coffee, headset.

1337Delta764

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:34 pm

FYI, I just ordered a yellow ink cartridge for our HP printer, and even though it appears to be available locally since the Free One-Day was enabled, since the order was under $35 I did two-day shipping and the order shipped from the Tracy, CA fulfillment center. My guess is this one will go via Prime Air via SCK-PHX.

cjg225

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:01 pm

bravoindia wrote:
Understood on the FedEx Ground facility, not that they had a choice with the debt that they cleared, but G4 is ABE pride and joy and they've been flying mad dogs here for years, not at 230am but still much louder than the CF6s on these 767s.

The times of day are the most important part. I guess I have tended to sleep through this flight that lands in the wee hours of the morning, and I happen to be up already for the flights that land around 5:40 and 6:00, but many others are not. G4 is operating during normal hours that people are awake. Louder, but people are awake.

Sure, most of the Amazon flights in and out are during normal hours, too, but it takes only a few flights to irk people.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:16 pm

cjg: People don't like change. The good news is, like the old junk car that the neighbor puts up on blocks in the driveway, it is infuriating at first, but after a week you barely notice it... (Hopefully...)

That they've grown to accept the 80s is a good sign...

1337Delta764

Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:20 am

I just noticed that there is no Prime Air flight scheduled today between SCK and PHX. I wonder what is going on and if I will have a delayed order.

travaz

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:33 am

I have a couple of items coming from CA for tomorrow and they show on time. It show Amazon as the carrier.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:36 am

Why do you think no flight tonight? Doesn't leave until 9-something PDT.

1337Delta764

Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:38 am

travaz wrote:
I have a couple of items coming from CA for tomorrow and they show on time. It show Amazon as the carrier.

Mine is out of the Tracy, CA fulfillment center and I presume it was supposed to go via Prime Air via SCK-PHX with last mile delivery via USPS. Flightaware still shows no scheduled flights between SCK and PHX. The normal departure time for ATI's SCK-PHX flight seems to be 9:09 PM PDT, and that is less than two hours from now. How far in advance does ATI schedule its flights? I would presume that Flightaware would show the flight as scheduled by now.

EDIT: As of 7:40 PM PDT/MST, the flight has been finally scheduled. That is a bit of a relief. Note that looking at that flight's history, last Saturday that flight (3765) was diverted to ONT.

Acey559

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:42 am

Not Amazon related, but once 395CM is up and running, ATI will be getting WRI-RMS-CAI-RMS-TER-WRI back in October. We had been hearing that it was coming back pending crew availability, and it looks like that time has come.

MajMattMason

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:07 am

Acey559 wrote:
Not Amazon related, but once 395CM is up and running, ATI will be getting WRI-RMS-CAI-RMS-TER-WRI back in October. We had been hearing that it was coming back pending crew availability, and it looks like that time has come.

Not so much crew, but airframe availability.
395CM was supposed to be available for revenue flying mid Aug but is late.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:43 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
How far in advance does ATI schedule its flights?

Well, they're scheduled internally weeks in advance. But for purposes of Flightaware and the FAA system, they're put in the system when the FAA gets the "paperwork". You can usually see them on Flightaware within an hour or two of departure.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:58 am

MajMattMason wrote:
Acey559 wrote:

Not so much crew, but airframe availability.
395CM was supposed to be available for revenue flying mid Aug but is late.

I would think that 370AA ought to be out first, as it had about a 5-week head start, and both it and 395 had winglets. The fact that they're both ex-AA and built within 9 months of each other doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be in similar shape, but maybe a little-less-likely to have weird paperwork issues or as many surprises as frames that didn't come directly from AA, so 370 might be a bit of a proxy for 395 when estimating time-in-conversion. (Or not...)

Anyway, nice to see you guys getting to go back to the Azores! (And the pyramids!)

1337Delta764

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:07 am

Looks like Amazon actually transported my order via ground transportation from the Tracy, CA fulfillment center, since it looks like it actually arrived at the Phoenix Sortation Center as of 7:09 PM. This is one of my longer shipments that went via ground transportation, although I have had one order ship UPS Ground from the Reno fulfillment center at one point.

KAUSpilot

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:37 pm

travaz wrote:

No. Most of the people involved with this whole thing are contractors. There are no perks, discounts, etc. They're wage slaves that will be dropped for another batch of wage slaves the second the don't gratefully accept their trite pittance, as we can see with ABX and the rampers in ABE. The only personnel allowed to ride on the planes are employees of the specific carrier on official company business (mechanics, dispatchers/schedulers observing, etc), Feds, or jumpseating/commuting pilots of other 121 air carriers (same as any other airline). It's decidedly unglamorous.

1337Delta764

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:00 am

I know in the Amazon shipping process, there are Fulfillment Centers, the Prime Air airports, Sortation Centers, and Amazon Logistics Delivery Stations.

While Prime orders assigned to USPS will always go through the Sortation Center, I have noticed that is not always the case with Amazon Logistics. While sometimes Amazon Logistics shipments will go through the Sortation Center prior to the Delivery Station, other times they go directly to the Delivery Station. I wonder, how does Amazon decide whether or not to transit the package through the Sortation Center when shipping via Amazon Logistics?

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:19 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
I know in the Amazon shipping process, there are Fulfillment Centers, the Prime Air airports, Sortation Centers, and Amazon Logistics Delivery Stations.

While Prime orders assigned to USPS will always go through the Sortation Center, I have noticed that is not always the case with Amazon Logistics. While sometimes Amazon Logistics shipments will go through the Sortation Center prior to the Delivery Station, other times they go directly to the Delivery Station. I wonder, how does Amazon decide whether or not to transit the package through the Sortation Center when shipping via Amazon Logistics?

I think it depends upon whether they can fill a truck regularly from whatever DC originated the package to an AMZL location. Otherwise, it makes sense to send full trucks over the road for a distance, and maybe it's best to send it to the PSC, which serves all three methods of local delivery (USPS, Ontrack/Lasership, AMZL). It's a little like the issue of whether you are best off injecting USPS local delivery at the DDU level (local post office), or at the more-aggregated SCF or NDC level. Depends upon the volume.

You are likely to see some developments in this area soon.

yochai

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Not an Amazon bird but may be of interest to some, N284DH is scheduled to leave TLV tomorrow morning, DHL NTU, will be delivered to Kalitta. Flight CKS284 LLBG-KYIP ETD 0855Z

BOEING777EK

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:12 pm

yochai wrote:
Not an Amazon bird but may be of interest to some, N284DH is scheduled to leave TLV tomorrow morning, DHL NTU, will be delivered to Kalitta. Flight CKS284 LLBG-KYIP ETD 0855Z
Is the airframe converted to a freighter yet?

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:22 pm

This is the one with the paperwork challenges/winglet prototype? Glad it's finally moving! I'm also watching Connie's bird that went down to MEX. It will be interesting to see how long the conversion takes.

Next up for us is 370AA, I guess...

Interesting to see how Connie is expanding his 763 Fleet. Presumably going to work primarily for DHL US. And maybe some Mil.

yochai

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 pm

BOEING777EK wrote:
yochai wrote:
Is the airframe converted to a freighter yet?

Yes, fully converted...370 is scheduled for an air test on Friday IIRC

1337Delta764

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:41 pm

It will be interesting to know what is the carrier priority for Amazon Prime orders and whether or not it varies by area. Here in the Phoenix area, the priority in choosing carriers seems to be AMZL first, USPS second, UPS third, and FedEx fourth. Not sure where OnTrac fits in since it has been a while since I received something via OnTrac. Since AMZL deals with a lot of Same-Day and One-Day orders, many Two-Day orders will overflow to other carriers (mostly USPS for me). Also, ordering heavy packages I think may increase the priority of Amazon choosing UPS and/or FedEx.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:05 pm

1337: From my own experience only, in NYC we get 2-day almost exclusively from USPS. AMZL seems to handle a lot of overnight and some same-day, as well as Amazon Fresh.

On Long Island, Amazon Fresh is only-recently in our area, and seems to be lightly-utilized. In order to expand Fresh without running empty trucks, or having amazingly-lengthy routes, instead it appears that they are also putting some Prime on the trucks to fill them and keep the routes reasonably-tight. Smart. Everything else goes USPS to me, with the occasional UPS from a drop-ship vendor.

My experience with the USPS final-mile to LI and to Manhattan, even on Sunday, is that it is absolutely-flawless in Manhattan. It is absolutely-flawless on Long Island except Sunday, where it was iffy for a while (because Sunday was run out of the horrible cesspool of a regional USPS center, where whole crews were arrested by the Postal Inspection Service last year for sleeping on overnight shifts), so Amazon switched to AMZL on Sunday, which is excellent, and now uses a mix as the USPS seems to have cleaned up its Sunday act on LI. Come Peak Season, the USPS will run the LI Sunday out of our local Post Office, so it should be excellent, as it was last year during Peak.

Walmart comes almost-exclusively by FedEx Ground (or FedEx Express when it has to come cross-country); to LI, about 1/3 Lasership and 2/3 FedEx Ground to me in Manhattan.

Acey559

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:09 am

travaz wrote:

That depends. I work for an ATSG carrier and we are allowed to let employees of the company ride for pleasure as long as there is a supernumerary area. Hat courtesy does not extend to the contractors, however, only actual employees of my airline. So, simple answer is yes, long answer is that it depends.

1337Delta764

Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:54 am

wjcandee wrote:
1337: From my own experience only, in NYC we get 2-day almost exclusively from USPS. AMZL seems to handle a lot of overnight and some same-day, as well as Amazon Fresh.

On Long Island, Amazon Fresh is only-recently in our area, and seems to be lightly-utilized. In order to expand Fresh without running empty trucks, or having amazingly-lengthy routes, instead it appears that they are also putting some Prime on the trucks to fill them and keep the routes reasonably-tight. Smart. Everything else goes USPS to me, with the occasional UPS from a drop-ship vendor.

My experience with the USPS final-mile to LI and to Manhattan, even on Sunday, is that it is absolutely-flawless in Manhattan. It is absolutely-flawless on Long Island except Sunday, where it was iffy for a while (because Sunday was run out of the horrible cesspool of a regional USPS center, where whole crews were arrested by the Postal Inspection Service last year for sleeping on overnight shifts), so Amazon switched to AMZL on Sunday, which is excellent, and now uses a mix as the USPS seems to have cleaned up its Sunday act on LI. Come Peak Season, the USPS will run the LI Sunday out of our local Post Office, so it should be excellent, as it was last year during Peak.

Walmart comes almost-exclusively by FedEx Ground (or FedEx Express when it has to come cross-country); to LI, about 1/3 Lasership and 2/3 FedEx Ground to me in Manhattan.

Interesting. Also, if I am guessing, areas that get USPS for Prime shipments must be located in ZIP codes that are served by Amazon Sortation Centers. However, these Sortation Centers can serve fairly large areas; I know the Phoenix Sortation Center handles some packages going to Albuquerque. ZIP codes that are not served by a Sortation Center will probably get more UPS or FedEx (sometimes SurePost or SmartPost if able to meet the two-day guarantee).

wjcandee
Topic Author

Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:48 am

1337: That's interesting and sounds about right. However, Smartpost is a crap service that appears to be designed to be intentionally-slow so as not to compete with FedEx Home Delivery. It can take 2-3 days to get the package from their sort hub to a post office 10 miles away, after moving in a snail-like manner though the hub. WalMart ditching them for Home Delivery was the smartest move they ever made, and it is showing in their volume. Amazon uses exactly the same general model (DC to Sort to contractor-to-inject-in-USPS-stream to DDU to customer), and does that in a single shift. They produce a 2-day product with a system that is a 5-day product for other carriers.

HPRamper

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:15 am

Is SEA gaining yet another flight? Talking to someone who sits on the Port meetings, FedEx is quasi-permanently losing use of a Port-owned gate and it will be utilized by Prime Air instead. This is a gate used several times a week for FedEx layovers so it is not for lack of use.

yochai

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:35 pm

N370AA made a successful test flight today and is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday morning to SNN

BOEING777EK

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:07 pm

yochai wrote:
N370AA made a successful test flight today and is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday morning to SNN
Any news on which airline will N370AA head to?

yochai

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:23 pm

Should become N393CM for CAM (and then probably leased to Amazon)

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:40 pm

There are 5 CAM 767-300s currently at TLV for conversion.

As previously reported:

370aa, to become 393CM
395CM (was 378an)
386aa to become 396CM
382an to become 399CM
372aa to become 379CX

A couple of these will be going to ATI as spares for Amazon and for other work.

Three of them (or of them and future conversions not yet at TLV) will be leased by CAM to Northern Aviation Services on 7-year dry leases to support service by Northern Air Cargo, Strat Air, and Aloha Cargo. The first one to Northern Aviation will be in October, so most likely 396 or 399. It was thought that 395 and 396 would be to ATI, but it may be that 393 (formerly 370AA) and 395 go to ATI instead, potentially with the following 3 to Northern Aviation. We will see.

This should also result in further-reduced flying by ABX Air, which is currently operating some wet lease service for subsidiaries of Northern Aviation. As far as Amazon goes, other than the aforementioned spares to ATI, that's it for now as their contract goes as they have reached the contracted-for 8 767-300s. The fleet isn't fully-utilized yet, so I do expect one or two more routes for ATI, using the existing 20-aircraft Amazon-contracted ATSG fleet. I do not expect further expansion of flights by ABX Air, whose role should be limited to 4-6 flights and (very importantly) ad-hoc recovery service with its larger pilot pool and underutilized fleet. And obviously we're going to see a massive expansion of flying by Atlas over the next 12 months as they add 12-13 aircraft and as many as 14 new routes.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:47 am

FWIW, ATI's N791AX, a 767-200, is done with its C-check at ILN and is back in service on Amazon almost-exactly 3 months after going in. N762CX is now at ILN.

1337Delta764

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:11 am

Of my recent order for my IZOD Advantage Fleece in Fairy Tale, I was very concerned this afternoon with the Amazon Logistics tracking based on the fact that there was no departure scan out of Erlanger, and there didn't appear to be any scans at Phoenix Sky Harbor either. I got a sigh of relief when the scans appeared to "jump" to the Phoenix Sortation Center at 7:05 PM MST. Has anyone seen such packages skip so many scans?

Speaking of Amazon Logistics, it appears there that here in the Phoenix area, I have actually noticed a trend that the Prime Air packages go through the Sortation Center, while the ground packages do not. I wonder if this is the same in all areas with Amazon Logistics. USPS on the other hand will always go through the Sortation Center whether Prime Air or ground.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:40 am

Some ground packages destined for AMZL may leave a DC in sufficient quantity to justify a dedicated tractor-trailer route from the DC to the AMZL node. Others may go from the DC to the PSC and then to AMZL. Right now, arriving Prime Air in PHX usually needs to be sorted at destination, a job which is currently handled by the PSC.

1337Delta764

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:03 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Some ground packages destined for AMZL may leave a DC in sufficient quantity to justify a dedicated tractor-trailer route from the DC to the AMZL node. Others may go from the DC to the PSC and then to AMZL. Right now, arriving Prime Air in PHX usually needs to be sorted at destination, a job which is currently handled by the PSC.

All of my Free One-Day orders (which ship out of one of the local fulfillment centers) went directly to the AMZL delivery station. I have also had a Two-Day order that shipped from Moreno Valley, CA that went directly to the delivery station.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:59 am

Interesting to note ATI covering two (2) of Atlas's Prime Air flights the last couple of days, although it should only be one today. Two-fifths of Atlas flights covered by ATI, despite Atlas having eight (8) aircraft in its available fleet. One of those (1709) is currently covering DHL. From the looks of it, it appears most likely that it's a matter of aircraft issues and Prime Air using the closest available aircraft, which were ATI's. Still, one might reasonably raise the question of whether it's a pilot-availability thing for Atlas. Probably not, but maybe worth noting...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos