The Ticketor
Topic Author

Members Show Commitment To Oneworld

Fri Dec 01, 2000 9:15 pm

All eight oneworld CEO´s had a meeting 30NOV where they all agreed on a shared vision for alliance development in 2001 and beyond.

The meeting, chaired by BA´s Rod Eddington, agreed on a significant increase in marketing investement among other things.

A special action plan was fomulated in the areas of sales, marketing, purchasing and information technology.

It will be interesting to see who will be the next new member, and what will happen to the BA/AA thing. If you look at the slot situation at LHR, you will see that BA is nowhere near the dominating position held by for example LH at FRA. Maybe the regulators will finally understand that, and give BA/AA the go-ahead.

RE: Members Show Commitment To Oneworld

Fri Dec 01, 2000 9:38 pm

so There are not real possibility of BA joigning Skyteam ?

Are the talk between AF, BA and delta over ?

OH-LGA

Sat Dec 02, 2000 2:03 am

L'espace180: Most likely, plus the EU Antitrust Commision and the US DOT would never have let it gone through, the combination would be WAY too anti competitive and make quite a monopoly.

I think the US is dragging it's feet because of Bermuda II, just give it up DOT! Yes, by slot situations, BA doesn't have as many slots as LH does in FRA, Heathrow has more carriers than FRA, but that's also due to London being such a popular destination.

By the way of new members, I know that oneworld has been pushing hard to get JAL to get on board, also the whole oneworld/Qualiflyer hookup is possible, there is a lot of cooperation between the two alliance's airlines.

Moi,
Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

imkeww

Sat Dec 02, 2000 5:53 am

KEEP IN MIND, FRA is much less busy than LHR, and less prestigious, lucrative, and LUSTED after for access.

blink182

Sat Dec 02, 2000 8:01 am

I think OH-LGA just said the next member, JAL is very close to AA and competes with ANA and KAL and both are in alliances and so that leaves JAL with Oneworld and it's alliance with AA makes it even more possible and if they were to join. Oneworld would finally have full coverage of Asia along with EVA Airways and China-Eastern possibly joining in the future, TAM is also a big possibility too. I think the anticipated Oneworld/Qualiflyer hookup has a huge chance of happening as OH-LGA previously noted.
This also shows that AA/BA really want an alliance with each other and if only the DOT could look at LHR/BA/AA and compare it to FRA/UA/LH. FRA/UA/LH is clearly bigger and I think the government not letting BA/AA is a S***load of crap.(pardon my languange)
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

sn330

Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:58 am

Blink182 is right on the money. Star Alliance controls a greater percentage of Traffic at FRA, than the percentage oneworld controls at LHR. Even now, Star controls 25-30% of LHR, and is very competitive against BA. Knowing this, the EU and the US DOT should approve this deal. No competition, hogging heathrow, oh please! AA didn't complain when UA pulled that stunt with LH, so UA, Star, the EU, and the US DOT should sit down, shut up, and give their stamp of approval.

747firstclass

Sat Dec 02, 2000 2:06 pm

Some of you seem to be missing the key and vital point about FRA and LHR. In FRA the United States has an openskies treaty covering all of Germany. That means that any US airline can depart from any US city as often as they like and arrive at any German city. Period. that is simply not the case at LHR. The US is restricted by Bermuda II which greatly reduces the cities in the US that has service to LHR and also the frequency of flights. Also look at the overlap that would exist if the BA/AA alliance wewnt through without an openskies agreement. Hope this cleasr up some misunderstanding.

LH423

Sun Dec 03, 2000 1:03 am

Is Aerolíneas Argentinas joining oneworld? I remember them being rumoured to join after Iberia and American invested in them, but nothing has since resulted.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos