Stretch 8
Topic Author

What's Up With Concorde?

Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:12 am

It's been a few months now since the AF disaster at CDG. Have the French figured out (as have the rest of us) that FOD on the uninspected runway was the likely cause? And when will it fly again? What about the BA bird?
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

RE: What's Up With Concorde?

Sat Dec 02, 2000 1:29 am

Last thing I have heard: The French investigation is still dragging on, so BA does not want to wait for AF to be allowed to fly its Concorde's again. The CAA (British FAA) is about to allow Concorde to fly again, BA is expecting to use them next summer on the usual LHR-JFK route.

Sat Dec 02, 2000 2:17 am

Last time I heard, the concorde won't fly again until about next May...they still have to wait and see what comes out of the French report. I also heard they may have to change the types of wheels on the rear bogies of the aircraft so that they will not burst on takeoff...not sure though, that was just a rumour I heard a little while ago. I hope to see them flying again soon...they only have a couple more years in the air anyway with the Type III noise regulations comin into play, almost the end of an era I think...Boeing should get going on the SST.

Sat Dec 02, 2000 3:12 am

Yes, I've heard BA is going to resume SST service but after they modify the aircraft. The point was that they are not going to wait for French investigation and will decide themselves what the modifications should be.

"French investigation is still dragging on" - yes, but why? Didn't they see something not desirable to be uncovered? What if not tire pieces but water deflector pieces punctured the wing? And AF, unlike BA, didn't modify the part? Pure speculation, of course, but this is the first thing to happen when there is no information...

Sat Dec 02, 2000 11:56 am

.......Water deflector?????
What the ***k is going on here?
5-15 Yr olds
Please can we have some reason??

Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:28 pm

BA already have a part on their Concorde a/c that AF will be putting on their a/c. The sooner they get flying again , the better.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Sat Dec 02, 2000 10:42 pm

The french minister of transport, jean-claude gaissot, said that he expect the AF's concorde to restart flying this summer.

Mon Dec 04, 2000 10:03 pm

This coming Friday 8th Dec is the next meeting of the working party.

The last one was very productive in the middle of November so we should know where we stand a little more come friday.

They know what they need to do, but are just not sure what all needs protecting and what does not. Eg What was damaged during the burst and what during the crash.

The Uk government would be happy for Concorde to return to the air should the CAA be satisfied with the mods and re-issue the certificatione even if the Inquiry is not complete and the french have not yet put their aircraft back in service.

RE: Mr K

Tue Dec 05, 2000 3:03 am

Your user profile says you are a BA Staff (CREW). Do you want me now to explain you what a water deflector is??? Or don't you know that this part was disintegrated in AF Concorde crash (but not the wheels)? I may be wrong assuming that this thing (and not the tire pieces) damaged the wing, but come on, (1) official investigation is not over, and (2) you, the professionals (real ones?) are sometimes too annoying here. If you see that a guy like me says something wrong, correct me POLITELY, and I'll be thankful to you for information. We are not a scientific/engineering forum here, we are ENTHUSIASTS, who sometimes may say absolute rubbish (from professional point of view), but that is what an Internet forum is supposed to be, nobody can be always 100% correct! But everybody must be not offensive.

Still, want to be more detailed with your comment? I'll be grateful to hear an expert opinion!