englandair

Will Virgin Atlantic Expand At Man?

Sun Dec 03, 2000 1:16 am

Given that British Midland are begining Transatlantic services from Manchester International and British Airways have abandoned MAN for long haul flights, will VS offer more flights from the North of England?
VS already fly daily between MAN & Orlando by what about other destinations. Is there the market?

Cheers,
Jamie.

ContinentalEWR

RE: Will Virgin Atlantic Expand At Man?

Sun Dec 03, 2000 1:26 am

Eventually, but only to holiday destinations to expand upon their existing MAN-MCO flights. I believe there is
a market for MAN-India flights too that VS could tap.
As for other US routes, if VS and CO remain in a code
share alliance, VS could buy seats on CO's flights to
EWR from MAN (which may go to double daily) and a
planned IAH route. LAX, SFO are also possibilities as
no airline has MAN-West Coast flights just yet.

ContinentalEWR

nickofatlanta

RE: Will Virgin Atlantic Expand At Man?

Sun Dec 03, 2000 7:52 am

Not sure if it would be at the top of Virgin's priorities. I think I read somewhere on this board or elsewhere that VS was actually discontinuing the MCO flight from MAN. Something other airlines are doing: AA no longer flies the JFK route; DL will soon give it up.

Also, just a thought, it must be a little inefficient to only fly a handful of routes from MAN when your main base is LON. You have to set up maintenance, ground service etc. for that one (low-yield) flight to MCO.