cathaypacific

What Is Your Longest Delay?

Sun Dec 03, 2000 4:26 am

What is your longest delay? Either in an airport or just sitting in an airplane? Was it weather, mechanical, or airline fault (strike.) My longest was 11 hours from CVG-IAH. Snowed in on the runway.

Tarantine

RE: What Is Your Longest Delay?

Sun Dec 03, 2000 4:33 am

Well, it was a major delay to me, but I got bumped at PIT while trying to fly to ATL for over 20hrs. I was flying non-rev. I hated the airport. That was in 1987, maybe its better now, but I am sure Pittsburghs roads are still rotten!  

FlyBoeing

Sun Dec 03, 2000 4:45 am

Well, then, we're starting on delays, now.   which to pick? Ah, yes. NWA has failed me so often that when our family went on its vacation to Turkey this year with the first EWR-AMS leg flown by NW, the flight was scheduled for 6:00. Because my parents are doctors and hence put off any aspect of preparation for the trip until maybe 45 minutes before we had to leave for the airport, we got to the airport at 5:50. Then my rocket-scientist father decides to circle monorail lot E for 15 minutes, wondering why it looks like only rental cars are parked there. Finally we parked NOT in the monorail lots but instead in lots G and H (which are about 15 minutes each way from terminals A, B and C) and we still made the plane. And I wasn't even worried because I knew NWA would be late. Ha! It was 3 hours late!

Then on the way back coming from Cairo we got delayed for 12 hours while idiotic KLM lost a bleed-air valve in the MD-11 and we couldn't cannibalize a part from an EgyptAir jet, forcing one to be flown in from MXP. All the while, aircraft from other airlines lifted off with empty seats that the unfortunate pax of the KLM flight were not occupying. That delay experience was not pleasant because I had the Pharaoh's revenge and we had no access to first-class lounges.

g-beak

Sun Dec 03, 2000 4:50 am

From about 10am on a Saturday until about 8pm on a Monday.

BH346

Sun Dec 03, 2000 4:57 am

Northwest Airlines 6 hour delay, Seattle-Kansai. It wasn't bad, I took advantage of spotting and looking at the Horizon Air planes. Seattle is a nice airport and South Satellite is not very crowded.

Best Regards,
BH346  
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

LN-MOW

Sun Dec 03, 2000 5:08 am

8 hours trapped inside an Icelandair B737-400 during a snowstorm in the winter of 1994. We were at Oslo Airport Fornebu and first sat 2 hours at the stand, then moved to the deicing area and we made 3 attempts to get from there to the runway, but had to return each time for new deicing.
I even did the weight and balance and closeout for that plane in my civvies to do the Station Manager a favour -he wasn't able to get any agents to the gate because everyone were tied up elsewhere.
(I was working for SAS in Oslo, but was off duty..)
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

dalflyer

Sun Dec 03, 2000 5:35 am

Hello All,
I remeber returning to LAX from Mexico City on Delta, and the plane arrived from LAX one hour late. I remember seeing the B 757-200 landing, and being parked outside of the terminal in Mexico City. It took forty minutes to wait for the airplane to be cleaned and so forth. Everyone was bused to the plane, and once everyone was onboard, we couldn't leave because it started to pouring "cats and dogs". Sitting on the plane wasn't bad. The airplane was taxiing from one place to another. I thought it was fun because you could see all the airplanes that were taxiing everywhere waiting to take-off because of the rain. Fortunately, the rain stopped pouring for about one hour and a half. Once the rain stopped, you could hear those powerful engines roar like lions as the pilot stepped on the gas. It took us about three hours to leave Mexico City. I'll never forget that day because the flight attendant were awesome on that Delta flight! I know three hours is nothing compared to those really big delays people encounter everyday, but that's how it is with traveling.

"Fly Somewhere Fun!"-Delta
D.S.

Sun Dec 03, 2000 8:05 am

Here is a no brainer! A 10 hr delay from LGA-IAH.  

jkent95

Sun Dec 03, 2000 8:53 am

My longest delay was about 22 hours. A few winters ago I was flying British Airways from YYZ to LHR. It was a cold evening with forcasts for snow but not until after 11pm. As the flight was scheduled to depart at 8pm I thought the weather was no threat. Well as luck would have it the snow started about two hours before flight time. The plane boarded and pushed back on time and proceded to the de-icing area. To make a long story short we de-iced, taxied to the runway whereupon the pilot felt too much snow had accumulated on the wings, taxied back to de-ice again etc. After about 5 hours of this the pilot gave up and the airport closed down for the night. Every other overseas flight got out except us.

To BA's credit they did treat us well during the delay. They put everyone up in a hotel and paid for breakfast and lunch the next day. They even provided a shuttle bus to a nearby shopping mall. The flight did get off about 6:00pm the next day.

My woes did not end there however. Upon arrival in London my luggage was nowhere to be found. It turned out the the airline luggage tag had fallen off. Using my info on my name tag they put the bag on the next flight which was arriving about an hour later. During this time BA bought be a full English breakfast.

It was a lot of trouble but I have to say "The worlds favroite airline" took very good care of me.

CV990A

Sun Dec 03, 2000 9:00 am

Its not as bad as some of the others, but mine was a 4-hour delay on LACSA because of an 'electrical problem' on our A320. Not too comforting due to all the fancy electronics on the 'bus.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

LH423

Sun Dec 03, 2000 9:07 am

Technically 36 hours, but because it involved changing airports from San Juan to Chicago, I guess you couldn't say I was really delayed, but rather diverted from BOS from STX, via SJU and ORD.

My longest delay is a meagre 2¼ hours. BA214 BOS-LHR, the inbound flight was delayed, so a 20.10 departure became 22.25.

I guess I've faired better than most of you.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

USAFHummer

Sun Dec 03, 2000 9:10 am

In over 100,000 miles of flying, a pitiful hour and-a half (just last month, I may add)!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Sun Dec 03, 2000 10:04 am

Flying ERA Aviation from Anchorage to Kodiak Is. AK on the way back from a wrestling trip. The weather was so bad on the island that we were delayed for 3 days. Three times we took off from Anchorage to Kodiak (a one-hour flight), and circled around for a few hours waiting for the weather to break, before returning to Anchorage to fuel again. This was on a CV-580 I might add. The ENTIRE wrestling team had to stay in the airport for one night because we had no place to go. In fact, I think we were on our way back down from a tournament in Fairbanks. That was my worst delay. *Note my user name.

chepos

Sun Dec 03, 2000 4:42 pm

A 3 hour delay at New Yorks JFK. Cause the A-300 got damaged in the Dominican Republic
Fly the Flag!!!!

Sun Dec 03, 2000 4:47 pm

Well, mine was 7 hrs . SQ Boeing 747-300 (Big Top) . The engines had problems . What a long wait , but it was not too bad cause i could go around the airport taking pictures  

ph-kcg

Sun Dec 03, 2000 9:47 pm

November 1999 SN form BRU to JNB (plan: AMS-BRU-JNB-DUR): 26 hours due to technical and later crew problems with a MD11. Stayed over in a nice hotel though! Arrived in DUR 36 hours later.

ahlfors

Sun Dec 03, 2000 11:05 pm

My longest delay goes to AA for a delay of about 16 hours.

I was on a AA A300 flight enroute from JFK to ANU, stopping at SJU. About 30 minutes into flight the electrical systems start to short out, so we have to return to JFK to get it fixed. Well, to no suprise they do not get the plane fixed while we sit in the aircraft for about 2 hours. They then take us out of the plane, to wait in the terminal. A few hours later they get another plane for us, on the other side of AA's JFK terminal. Final departure: 9:00pm as opposed to 3:00pm.

Then, when we get into SJU, they decide our flight will NOT continue onto ANU, so they stick me in the Airport hotel, and I get to continue my trip on another flight in the morning and I finally got to my destination.

The worst error on AA's part was not the delay. It was the fact that I was flying as a UM (unaccompanied minor). I had slept the entire flight as I was enroute from LHR and very tired, so I had not heard the announcement regarding the non-continuation to ANU. So when everyone got off, I just sat in the plane, and NO flight attendant took me into the terminal. The pilot on his cabin check spotted me and took me to the terminal and proceded to blast the FAs for leaving me there. Well, the FAs had no idea there was a UM onboard!!

Mon Dec 04, 2000 1:42 am

31 hours because the mechanics were trying to fix a clogged toilet system in a COA 747-143.

Mon Dec 04, 2000 5:07 am

I think it was on a Finnair charter flight
Langkawi-(Sharjah)-Helsinki, 1,5-2 hrs was because
they only had 3 baggage carts at the airport, so it took an eternity to first unload and then load the luggage of
219 people to a Boeing 757-200.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Darcy Stevens

Regards
Alexander Holst
Helsinki, Finland
ICQ 94604005

mel

Mon Dec 04, 2000 5:29 am

5 hour delay while flying Washington-Chicago in Aug00. We had all boarded the 777 at 17:00, but t-storms surrounded Dulles for 5 hours, and we had to stay onboard. We finally pushed back at 21:50 and rotated at 22:20.
NO URLS in signature

jplenny

Mon Dec 04, 2000 6:56 am

Does it have to be on a commercial flight?

I've had a couple of MAC (Military Airlift Command) and AMC (Air Mobility Command) flights that were delayed for several days....

One was a 757 going from Misawa, Japan to Seattle. I think it was delayed by four days.

JPLenny