COTPARES
Topic Author

Does Panam Still Fly?or Dumb Pax

Tue Dec 05, 2000 3:46 am

I'll never understand the general public I work for CO but I get calls from people on other airlines looking for info. My assumption is that we anzwer so
quickly with an actual human they refuse to call someone else.
cases in point:

1 a woman booked from PITAUA on Pan am ? Isn't Panam out of business?
she booked it through AAA. could it be a charter flight?

2a woman thought she was booked on CO to OGG thought the word Aloha on her tkt meant Hello I explained that Aloha was another Carrier and that "aloha"
means both "hello" and "goodbye".

3.A nonrev who wanted me to "give him a call" when the pax boarding totals
closed up so he could then buy a tkt. Oh yeah like I live for that kind of thing!!!!

ahlfors

RE: Does Panam Still Fly?or Dumb Pax

Tue Dec 05, 2000 3:55 am

Panam(3rd) is the name odf an airline based in New Hampshire. They do fly to PIT, but AUA, I highly doubt it.

Tue Dec 05, 2000 3:56 am

There is still a Pan Am flying around the East Coast. I don't think they fly to AUA. They are flying from Portsmith, NH; Gary, IN; and Orlando, FL... They may also do some charters. They are flying 727's

PITrules

Tue Dec 05, 2000 12:37 pm

Pan Am flies charters from PIT to AUA
FLYi

CactusA319

Tue Dec 05, 2000 12:47 pm

You want dumb pax? How's this?

The guy who goes to pick someone up at the airport and only knows where they are coming from but neglects to find out what airline/flight number.

"When's the flight from Minneapolis come in?"
"What airline sir?"
"Huh?"
"What airline are they on"?
"Oh, I don't know".

What, they think this is Greyhound or something????

Or how about the guy who doesn't read his ticket and goes to leave out of MDW instead of ORD where he is supposed to be leaving from and demands a $50 cab voucher to get him there even though HE'S THE ONE WHO SCREWED UP!

Or the countless people who think AmericaWest is somehow associated with American.

"Excuse me, is AmericaWest sisters with American"?

Sisters??? What the hell?

Or the one time I was spotting with a friend of mine at TPA and this old, scraggy looking guy in a beat up van parks next to us and asks where Eastern Airlines is. This is 1999 mind you! We told him to go to the other side of the airport cuz we just didn't feel like breaking the news to the poor guy.

COTPARES
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2000 5:59 pm

cactus319
The ironic part of your last story is that Continental's reservation and city ticket office in Tampa (where i work everyday ) used to be the Old Eastern
Airlines building.!!!!!

MEA-707

Tue Dec 05, 2000 8:01 pm

Listen, those questions seem ignorant for us airline buffs but do WE know everything about public transport tickets, hairdryers, microwaves, computer software, European history, whatever. And would WE like to be treated as S**T is we ask an ignorant question about it to someone who we pay to serve us? For 95% of the people, flying is just a way of getting from A to B hasslefree, why WOULD they care about Eastern going out of business or America West being different from American AL ???
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Tue Dec 05, 2000 8:25 pm

I agree with MEA-707.Im afraid to even go ask about a computer, let alone buy it.

PIA...Great people to fly with 

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Robert Flinzner

RJ100

Wed Dec 06, 2000 3:49 am

Hi

I don't agree with MEA-707 and Pakistania.

The fact that Eastern went out of business is not a thing only aviation enthusiasts know, I think this is a part of general knowledge!

RJ100
none

fqtv

Wed Dec 06, 2000 4:11 am

I've never heard of Eastern

JRodriguez136

RE:Panam Still Flies...

Wed Dec 06, 2000 4:35 am

Pan Am still flies but only from Miami to certain places. Their former huge hangar located in JFK in NY is now owned by UAL and they do maintenance there with their planes. Their Terminal which is now owned by Tower Air used to belong to Pan Am, a great airline in the good old days...
The sky is not the limit...

N202PA

Wed Dec 06, 2000 5:22 am

JRodriguez,

I think you're stuck back in 1997. That iteration of Pan Am (PA II) is long gone. The current Pan Am (PAIII) flies from Portsmouth, NH, and does not serve MIA (except, perhaps, for charters...no knowledge of whether they have served MIA for this purpose or not).

The only major relationship between PA II, PA III and the original great airline is the name, color scheme, and logo.

aaer 777

Wed Dec 06, 2000 5:33 am

once had a worried mother whose unfortunate son was to fly the following day asking if she could give hin coke to go on the flight... asked her politely to repeat and she dissipated my fears of seing a drugged 12 year-old pax boarding an international flight: she asked me if she could pack a can of coke in his carry-on, if there was no risk of it exploding at take-off due to the pressure...
I could not really bring myself to laugh... felt quite sad after the call actually... poor kid...
Which part of "NO" do you not understand?

JRodriguez136

Wed Dec 06, 2000 6:06 am

Sorry, for the old info. but I thought they used to fly form this destination...

JRodriguez136

Wed Dec 06, 2000 6:07 am

Sorry, for the old info. but I thought they still only used to fly form this destination...

varsity

Tue Dec 12, 2000 1:20 am

Pan Am was flying charter service to AUA from Pittsburgh. I am not sure if they still do.