Airport Jobs

Thu Apr 01, 1999 12:15 am

This might seem like a strange question to ask, but I'll ask it any way...

As we all know there are many different jobs in an airport- What I am referring to are job positions similar to these;

a.) Passenger Assistance:
Administration/ Customer Service/ Supervisor type positions within airlines etc...
b.) Air Cargo: Administration/supervisor/load planning etc...

"What would be the best way to go about looking for (any) available positions at an airport?"
Contacting an individual Airline?
Contacting airport management?

Are there any other options?

Any well-informed input is welcomed; please - it is a very simple question. No "heated" responses needed... Thanks in advance,

D.Valerio
New York

mirage

RE: Airport Jobs

Thu Apr 01, 1999 3:30 am

You can try both the airport management or some airlines.
There are other's like refuelling agents, catering, handling agents, security, crew shops, cleaning, etc...

It can be hard becuse when there's a job available, it's just known inside the airport, so you better get a friend who works there or read carefully some newspapers to be always updated.

Luis, Faro, Portugal

AF777

Thu Apr 01, 1999 3:37 am

Most Airlines' websites have an employment section which includes airport positions. Also, if you search airlines with Yahoo, when you click on most airlines listed in bold faced type, there will be a sub-section for employment.

L-188

Thu Apr 01, 1999 3:42 am

Mirage gives good advice there.

Keep in mind that many airlines have the same job but give it different titles. For example I have worked as a....

Cargo Handler
Cargo Agent
Bag Handler
Ramp Service Agent

All of them where basicly the same job-Throwing bags.

Your best bet is to find out who the airlines are out there. If you aren't bent on getting airline bennies you'll also want to find out who the ground support contractors are. A lot of airlines contract out their ground support activites. These are the preople to talk to. The airport managers office will know who the airlines, contractors and FBO's are on the feild, but other then getting contact info from them I don't see them really being much help.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Lindy

Thu Apr 01, 1999 5:29 am

Go to the airport near you and pay attention to bag carts, if there is logo different then airline name it means that they are contractors. (that is just a tip) Its a lot easier to get job as a contractor then directly from the airline, of course with exceptions when they need people.
April is my last month working as a contractor. I'm working like a slave 80hrs per week without flight benefits. My next step is working for an airline.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

BryanG

Thu Apr 01, 1999 1:00 pm

If you're looking for a high-level job within an airline, the best thing to do would probably to send a resume with cover letter to the main employment office for the airline. All the major airines have dedicated web-sites for prospective employees.

As AF777 said above you can go to these pages via Yahoo.

Thu Apr 01, 1999 10:07 pm

Thanks for the info guys...very much appreciated;

D.Valerio
New York

Lindy

Fri Apr 02, 1999 12:53 pm

You are from NYC??????

You should have no problem to find a job at the airport!!! JFK, LGA, EWR!!! Man with the silver spoon!!

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100