JAT
Topic Author

Bombardier Cancelling BRJ-X?

Wed Dec 06, 2000 10:06 am

Is it true that Bombardier has decided to cancel the plans for it's 100 seat BRJ-X? Appareantly they have been "warned" by Boeing not to proceed with it as it theratens Boeings 717. Boeing appareantly claims that if Bombardier proceeds with it Boeing will enter their market which would certainly not be good for Bombardier. Does anyone have anymore info on this? By the way, my dad heard this from his frind who is an engineer at the Downsview Bombardier plant in Toronto.

watewate

RE: Bombardier Cancelling BRJ-X?

Wed Dec 06, 2000 10:49 am

I hope it's not true. Bombardier should go ahead and launch the BRJ-X if there's sufficient demand. BTW, I guess same threat was made to Embraer?

slawko

Wed Dec 06, 2000 10:59 am

If BBD was worried about competing with the717 then they would not be building the CRJ-900, 90 seats is inthe 717 market!! I have not seen or heard anything from anyone about this happenning, the fact is that BBD has deleyed any decision on this plane until more market research is done.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

airman99o

Wed Dec 06, 2000 12:50 pm

Hmmm sounds familiar. Sounds like Boeing doesn't want any more competition with anyone!! They sound like sore losers. This sounds the same back in the Fifties when AVRO Canada was going to build the Arrow. What happened there?!?!?!?! Americans didn't want it built because it was FAR FAR FAR better than the American equivilant. If there was such a thing back then, or now for that matter!!!! Anyway I am not trying to start a war or anything like that I just hope that Bombardier does go ahead with it. I think it would be a great airliner and would do well.

Just my thoughts
Airman99o
Safety is Everyones Responsibility.

Wed Dec 06, 2000 7:07 pm

If I remember correctly, I think that Bombardier makes a part or two for the 717. That would explain why this is happening. If the 717 stays, then it's a win-win sit.

Thu Dec 07, 2000 1:33 am

... [Bombardier has been] "warned" by Boeing not to proceed with it as it theratens Boeing's 717. Boeing appareantly claims that if Bombardier proceeds with it Boeing will enter their market...

Would (does) Bombardier take this "threat" seriously?? I doubt it. Bombardier has strong, long-established customer bases for its a/c. I think Boeing would have a hard time convincing Bombardier's customers that its product is superior to Bombardier's. Furthermore, Boeing's assembly lines are set up for big planes. They would have to retool to start producing RJs, which would take time. This whole "threat", if it's true, is Boeing's own insecurity that it may have competition in the North American airliner market.

Just my 2c

Corey

AmtrakGuy

Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:31 am

Anyone have a drawing picture of the BRJ-X?

Dave

shankly

Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:49 am

Boeing? Stalwarts of the free-market, subsidy shunning, competition loving, oh so bloody righteous, moms apple pie Boeing doing such a thing? I think you must be jesting!

How dare those evil people at Bombadier even think about producing such a plane. Who do they think they are.

What ever next? A 500+ seater from Europe?

L1011 - P F M

AC183

Thu Dec 07, 2000 3:11 am

BRJ-X hasn't exactly been cancelled, rather work has been shelved... so no work is progressing on it right now, and the engineers have been reassigned to other projects. But in the future work could be resumed, although I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I don't know what to think of the Boeing story, but R&D costs probably also would not have justified such a development, at least not at this time. Also, Bombardiers customers are mostly regional feeder carriers, which makes it tougher to sell larger aircraft because of scope clauses. And Bombardier is already pretty busy just building enough CRJ's.

cv640

Fri Dec 08, 2000 12:23 am

I believe if the program has been shelved it was do to low demand in North America, the biggest customer for the CRJ. Most airlines have scope clauses with their commuters limiting ths ize and number of passengers that they can carry. There are only a few national carriers, like Midway, that would need an aircraft of this size and be able to fly it. Delta, United, Northwest, American, USAirways, and Continental all ahve limits far below the 90-100 seats this aircraft would have.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos