SQA340
Topic Author

How Are Loads On Trans-Pacific Flights?

Thu Dec 07, 2000 6:13 am

I would like to know on any US/ Asian airline about what the pax loads in F, C and Y are? Are they packed? This could also be a "how good is service" post. How many of you have flown ORD-HKG? How are the loads on that.

Mainly Hub cities to destin.

Example
ORD-NRT/NRT-ORD.

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

chiawei

RE: How Are Loads On Trans-Pacific Flights?

Thu Dec 07, 2000 6:35 am

I have flown on following route-

ORD-HKG, UA, Packed
HOU-NRT, CO, Packed
SFO-TPE, CI/EVA Packed
DET-NRT-TPE NW Packed

So far nearly all flights that I have been on are packed.
The only exception was 1994 Flight from SFO-TPE on CI. I took the flight about 2 weeks after CI's accident at Nagoya that killed over 200 people. There are only about 10 pax for that flight. We were all upgraded to first class for free.

Thu Dec 07, 2000 8:32 am

I had trouble booking EVA Air (BR) going LAX-TPE/TPE-BKK for December 14, but have been told that all days up to December 13 are still relatively empty. This was for deluxe class (treated as Y in the airline's reservations).

So I won't be flying home this Christmas, after all. I was able to find a seat departing on Dec 16, but other things got in my way.

Service on BR has never been bad, but not impressive either. deluxe class is fine, 38" pitch with PTVs and lots of food (given the right departure time). what their F/C classes provide are really outdated when you compare against SQ, CX, or even CI. F/C account for no more than 30 pax on BR 744s, though.

Thu Dec 07, 2000 10:21 am

I know SQ 12/11 are always full.(Flies from SIN-NRT-LAX and vv)

We're Nuts/GUNDU 2000

sfo

Thu Dec 07, 2000 11:13 am

December seems to be always packed for trans pacific flights at least from sfo. I know a UAL employee who wants to non-rev on their sfo-hkg flight and has given up for the month of December. Even November is not much different. Last year I traveled sfo-nrt-mnl (JAL) and back and both directions was packed.

FLY777UAL

Thu Dec 07, 2000 11:31 am

It seems as if no matter which flight, which city-pair, and which day of departure, trans-Pacific Asian flights are packed.

KIX and SEL are, perhaps, the exception to this on most days, however NRT is almost always packed, as well as HKG and the new SFO-PVG/PEK non-stops.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

(SFO-CDG always is, too...don't know why)

Trvlr

Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:31 pm

SEL is actually very full, much of the time even the coach section is sold out. Such is the case for both KAL flights from LAX tomorrow.

Japanese and HK flights often have their first and biz sections packed.

So in other words loads to Asia are good.

Aaron G.