SInGAPORE_AIR

SIA 6 Unresolved

Thu Dec 07, 2000 6:52 am

Well It's been over a month. Progress report: Investigators are examing 150 cameras that comprimise the "safe" ground surveillance system. So far, things point to the pilot (more later), map (later) and the centre lights of a runway being on.

Pilot: Veteran Malaysian. Though he was on the wrong runway and was using an out of date map (by one day).

Map: Was 1 day old. Showed 5R as a runway and not as taxiway NC as the map the day after the crash showed. Whoops. Although how this affected this crash is beyond me.

Lights!: Were apparently green and on on 5R. Wouldn't they switch them off.

I am downloading the official preliminary report and will report back condensing it hopefully. So far I've downloaded 612kb of unknown which is incovenient.

Question: I'm stronger than yesterday.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

SInGAPORE_AIR

RE: SIA 6 Unresolved

Thu Dec 07, 2000 7:04 am

UUseless horrible website. Stupid stupid. The first three pages can't be read because of a font conflict or something and the rest are useless facts that aren't relevant (like weather and what the plane did). Don't wanna know that cuz we already do!.

If anyone can make sense of the "caca" then visit

http://www.asc.gov.tw/uw/uw_disp.exe/easc/home/asc/asc_disp.appl?asc_oid=@390|6|0

A big picture will appear. Let the thext appear and then stop. Click on the download. It is 1.1MB and will take 5mins on a normal modem. Enjoy

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Dec 07, 2000 7:05 am

UUseless horrible website. Stupid stupid. The first three pages can't be read because of a font conflict or something and the rest are useless facts that aren't relevant (like weather and what the plane did). Don't wanna know that cuz we already do!.

If anyone can make sense of the "caca" then visit

http://www.asc.gov.tw/uw/uw_disp.exe/easc/home/asc/asc_disp.appl?asc_oid=@390|6|0

A big picture will appear. Let the thext appear and then stop. Click on the download. It is 1.1MB and will take 5mins on a normal modem. Enjoy

chiawei

Thu Dec 07, 2000 7:31 am

The light on runway 5R was on as green. runway 5R is still in use as a taxiway. Hence the light must be on.

The map issue is irrelevant, since each pilot should be able to count and know which runway he is on.

Thu Dec 07, 2000 9:21 am

The 5R lights were turned on for a test and the TPE authorities forgot to turn it off.

Gundu

Thu Dec 07, 2000 9:22 am

The 5R lights were turned on for a test and the TPE authorities forgot to turn it off.

Gundu

G-KIRAN

Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:17 pm

From what I heard the visibility was 800m(correct?) this should have been enough for the captain see both runways.I tried taxing to the runway using FS2000 with the visibility set at 800m and both runway lights completly on and I got to 5L with no problems.Those of you with FS should try it.
In my opinion most of the blame should be with the SQ6 crew.The taiwanese airport may have confused the pilots but it was the crew that made the mistake.The controller said 5L not 5R,but I have alos heard that the taiwanese controllers cant pronounce their 'l' and 'r' correctly.Is this true?

Thu Dec 07, 2000 2:47 pm

About this one, the one I believe is that the officials from Taiwan's CAA stated that the map that the pilot was looking at is the new one, which the new one is supposed to be effective Nov 1, 2000. (which, it doesn't effect afterward due to some map problems) And it's true that the runway light on both 05L/R were on at the time of the crash, than the tower controllers shut off the light of the runway which closed for 20 years.

In fact, if the SIA pilots takeoff more earlier, the accident can actually avoid, according to a newspaper from Taiwan, or, if that was not a 747 (eg, if its like a 737 or 777), the plane could actually takeoff as soon as possible.

hailstone

Thu Dec 07, 2000 3:13 pm

jimI1126
your last paragraph ???

yes, but the 747 was slightly heavier and needed a bit more take-off roll than a 737 and 777, hence could not take off any sooner

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos