Concorde Pilots

Fri Dec 08, 2000 7:33 am

Does anybody know what the Concorde pilots are flying since their normal craft isn't flying? If they are placed on other types, i'm sure the training is costly. Going from a Concorde cockpit into a B744 glass cockpit may be a difficult transition, that is unless they were previously on that type of aircraft. Any info would be appreciated. I've been wondering about this for awhile considering these guys are the elite among commercial pilots.

Chris

RE: Concorde Pilots

Fri Dec 08, 2000 11:32 am

The transition from Concorde to 744 is no more tough then any other type. You go to ground school learn about the airplane and then off to the sim.
I spoke to an Concorde pilot the other day who was on vacation, they are keeping currenting by flying the simulator, and when the plane gets back flying, everything will be ready. He says a couple pilots have gone to other aircrafts but not many!
Iain

Fri Dec 08, 2000 12:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have many friends that find transitions rather difficult. My brother is F/O on the E-145 for CoEx and he said the sytems on that aircraft are very indepth and difficult for older pilots that are not as familiar with computers/glass cockpits. CoEx has young guys running the ground training down in Houston though and they made it as easy as possible. He's still doing IOE but should be holding a line soon. Same goes with my boss who flys the A319/A320 and soon A321. He says the systems are killer and he dislikes the aircraft. Transitioning aircraft isn't as easy as you may think.

Chris

Fri Dec 08, 2000 9:15 pm

If memory serves, I remember that the pilots are promoted from other types (A340 or 777, I don't call it out of my head) so I guess they can revert back to what they had been piloting in the past.

VIflyer

Sat Dec 09, 2000 4:24 am

If memory serves me right I recall seeing that I think BA Concorde crews actually rotate between doing Concorde service and working on regular jetliners (744, 777, etc.) But I can be wrong.
I reject your reality and subsitute my own

Sat Dec 09, 2000 8:53 am

Viflyer, I highly doubt that! That would be very hard for the pilots to stay current and safe with everything. Many people say things about Concorde pilots like they where all 747 capts before they flew the concorde, but they are really just plane (excuse the pun) pilots.
It all depends on the transition, I heard going from Boeing to Airbus and Viser verser quite tough as the systems are very different. But I think it depends on many factors ranging from experience to mental state and even the instructor!
Iain