FrontierMan
Topic Author

Clinton's Statements Reguarding High Traffic.

Sat Dec 09, 2000 10:56 am

I thought this quote by Bill was comical, he said and I quote, "In order to fix our air traffic dilemma, we need to make passengers pay more to travel during peak hours." His idea is, since the fact that our air traffic control system is from the 60s, we just need to take air traffic back to the sixties. Is this not the worst idea you've ever heard of?

Tom in NO

RE: Clinton's Statements Reguarding High Traffic.

Sat Dec 09, 2000 1:26 pm

The comment is not one that necessarily needed to be made, unfortunately, it is what will eventually happen. As it stands right now, there are no national steps in place to keep air traffic growth in check, or at least to keep it from getting out of control. In other words, while we all agree that traffic has been growing at astronomical rates, controlling that growth has been difficult.

I have noticed lately more of a push to have airports incorporate "peak time" landing fees, etc, based upon those airlines wanting to fly at designated peak times having to pay higher fees to do so.

In turn, naturally, those increased fees will ultimately be paid by the passenger.

So, in the end, however tacky Clinton's quote was, it ain't too far off the truth.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina