Pilot1113
Topic Author

US Flags Backward On Airliners?

Sun Dec 10, 2000 8:19 am

I've always wondered why the flags are reversed on US airliners.

Could someone please help me out here?

Thanks!

- Neil Harrison

keithpilot

RE: US Flags Backward On Airliners?

Sun Dec 10, 2000 8:59 am

Not absolutely sure, but a long time ago, someone mentioned to me that they did it to make the aircraft look like it was flying the flag, (the stripes always flappng in the wind)

Another person mentioned that it was to "streamline" the look. The flag would be displayed correctly on the left side of the aircraft, reverse on the right.

Keith

dc-9-10

Sun Dec 10, 2000 9:00 am

This is because a flag flies like that. If you put a flag on the back of th tail one side will be the right way and the oterside will be backwerds. They do it the same way on air force planes too.

Pilot1113
Topic Author

Sun Dec 10, 2000 9:03 am

My best guess was that it was a sign of peace. I think I read that somewhere, but I wasn't sure.

Kind of like the eagle in the carpet in the Oval Office. During peace time he faces the olive branch, but during war he's facing the arrows (only when Congress delcares war).

Anyone got any ideas here?

Thanks Keith, by the way!

- Neil Harrison

Sun Dec 10, 2000 11:59 am

When Orville and Wilbur right made their airplane, I heard that Orville was slightly drunk and painted the flag on backwards. Everybody thought that this was "proper" and so it continued that the flag would be painted backwards.

Sun Dec 10, 2000 12:01 pm

One of my students once asked why aircraft are registered with English characters and not any others.

N2111J

Sun Dec 10, 2000 12:11 pm

On US aircraft the flag is always displayed with the star field toward the front. As to to why, I have no idea.

keithpilot

Sun Dec 10, 2000 3:59 pm

**One of my students once asked why aircraft are registered with English characters and not any others.**

Isn't it because English is the standard language of aviation? All pilots must also be fluent in written and spoken English as well for the same reason.

Keith

Falcon

Sun Dec 10, 2000 10:41 pm

"Isn't it because English is the standard language of aviation? All pilots must also be fluent in written and spoken English as well for the same reason. "

Well, in international and commercial aviation English is the official language. In general aviation in non-English-speaking country it is normal to speak other languages as well. Here in Finland Cessnas etc. usually speak Finnish. Our airforce also uses Finnish in in-flight communication.

KROC

Mon Dec 11, 2000 4:08 am

The U.S. Flags are reversed on airplanes, is becaue the side with the Stars represents the leading edge of hte flag so to speak. I asked my supervisor when i was stationed back in Savannah, during the 98 deployment to Kuwait, why he flag patches on the desert camis was "backwards", and he told me it was due to the fact the U.S. Flag was leading the way in battle. It makes sense, so I'm sure U.S. Airlines do it for similar reasons as well.