mirrodie

British Airways Ad On Fox

Tue Dec 12, 2000 12:33 pm

I saw it on the Fox Sports Network. A BA ad taking place in a space station. Towards the end of it, you begin to hear some opera-like music in the background. Can anyone PLEASE help me in identifying the tune? I would be so thankful.

Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

klik

RE: British Airways Ad On Fox

Tue Dec 12, 2000 2:21 pm

Mirrodie,

It's from the opera Lakme by Delibes. The duet is called the Flower Duet (Viens Mallika a les lianes...). BA have used this music for about 10 years, and have come up with various different versions.

Cheers,

klik

englandair

Tue Dec 12, 2000 6:20 pm

Is that the same advert we have here when there are lots of famous people from the past, eg. Sir Winston Chirchill, John Lennon etc., walking in a long white corridor. As the people pass they're together in their 'decade groups' and then a little girl walks down another corridor & is greated by an air hostess?
It's quite a clever advert!

Airbus_A340

Tue Dec 12, 2000 7:35 pm

Isnt that music also called "Aria" and by "Yanni" ?
just wondering cause i have it
Trev
People. They make an airline. www.cathaypacific.com

klik

Tue Dec 12, 2000 9:40 pm

Englandair,

THAT advert (reportedly the most expensive ever in Britain) uses "Something in the Air" by Thunderclap Newman. I, too, find it quite clever, though BA could've come up with a better slogan than "21st Century Air Travel". You can see the video at http://www.banews.co.uk.

Airbus_A340,

Originally, BA used a version of the duet which sounded a lot like Yanni's Aria (HE, too, copied Delibes), and ruined a beautiful operatic piece. Luckily, BA have now come to their senses, and are using the original version in their adverts, or some clever reworkings, i.e. classical guitar, violin...

Cheers,

klik