Coach Class Of Major Airlines : Comparision

Wed Dec 13, 2000 8:19 am

I would like to do a big comparison of the coach class of majors airlines. You can also talk others international coach class. (no domestic , please)
comparison by facts : like seat pitch, recline, food, comfort...
comparison by experiences : share youre experiences, and say that X's coach is better than X's coach, because it has more legroom...

It is like a poll.
Thanks.
Jonathan.

DeltaAir

RE: Coach Class Of Major Airlines : Comparision

Wed Dec 13, 2000 9:07 am

All I can say is don't fly Delta 777 Coach seats.......no room.....no room at all anywhere. For that matter......don't fly Delta in coach period.

airnewzealand

Wed Dec 13, 2000 10:12 am

OK, i would say AirNZ has best food, seat comfort, selection of drinks, and Seat room.

Korean Air, Best FA's and Entertainment.

Qantas best on time record and i love their breifing. They always spouse it up which makes it sound great!!

Singapore Airlines, Best First Class

Continental, In my opinion if you get the chance to fly them or Delta! Choose Delta. Continental is the worst experience i have ever had.

AirPacific, Very stichy with their food and drinks!

Thai airways, Best flight i have ever had!! They reall are as "Smooth as Silk!!" There motto certinly is right. The flight had no turbulence or anything.

Cheers
mikey
haere Ra (From NewZealand)
       AirNZ: The Worlds warmest welcome!!    

watewate

Wed Dec 13, 2000 10:25 am

Don't forget AA's extra legroom in most coach seats. Soon, all coach seats will have extra legroom to spare.

Carioca Canuck

Wed Dec 13, 2000 10:47 am

Air Canada's international "Y" class is quite comfortable.

I'm 6' 200 lbs and after 10.5 hours of flying, I don't feel uncomfortable at all.

Now having said that.......we can ALWAYS use more seat pitch. AND, please put footrests in your 767-300ER's........they are in your Airbuses.......why didn't you configure the other aircraft the same ?

TWA902fly

Wed Dec 13, 2000 10:58 am

Although Delta is my favorite airline, I must say that i think United has the best seats, they are the softest and have those great headrests. They are thivk seats, not metal frames with cloth on them. And ye si have been in AAs new seats (737-800) so dont ask me if ive ever been in them

-TWA902fly
Chicago Illinois
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

KLMBLue

Wed Dec 13, 2000 11:37 am

U.S. airways stunk when I flew them. I am not the tallest person at 5'5' at I felt cramped. I flew from charlotte to boston. There was hardly any recline, if any. It was the worst coach class that I have been on(and I have flown alot). hope this offers some insight.

KLM

L-1011-500

Wed Dec 13, 2000 12:22 pm

On America West, I flew from Phoenix to Milwaukee on a B737-300 a few years back...pretty much average service, seat pitch, etc. I must note however, that food was below average. You picked up a pre-prepared lunch bag filled with a roll with one slice of cheese and turkey, and water in a very small container along with what I believe was some yougurt also in a small container. From what I read in my AIRWAYS magazine issue from October 1998, America West spends the least amount of money on food per passenger compared with all of the other major US carriers. However, they had improved when I last flew them in April of this year, their food had improved.

aussie_

Wed Dec 13, 2000 1:56 pm

I was most impressed with Lauda - reasonable legroom, footrests, great headrests and an entertainment system that's out of this world. Also best inflight food ever and in good quantities (they have a qualified chef on board 777 flights).

Also, Ansett International is supposed to be spacious, comfortable and has excellent food and service

JAL 747 classic flights (eg: to Australia) were very cramped with poor service. I am 5'11 and my knees were buried in the seat in front of me.

VirginA340

Wed Dec 13, 2000 2:38 pm

Virgin-Great service, FAs and excellent entertainment but very little legroom in coach. Same goes for Kuwait Airways(but they had foot rests) and DL; MD-11s and 777s were quite cramped in coach but their biz class rocks. UA was a little better due to the slightly more room and the nice headrests. National and AA's economy was pretty decent.
"FUIMUS"

SIA fan

Wed Dec 13, 2000 3:19 pm

SQ's economy is really good. First you get the consistently great service from the Singapore Girl. Second, the world's most advanced inflight entertainment system, Krisworld. There are 22 video channels, 10 Nintendo games, PC games, 12 music channels, interactive features, and also phone at every seats which lets you make a seat-to-seat call. A handy feature if you don't seat together with your companions. Third, great food and drink. First in the world to offer free champage to economy passengers. Should you need a snack on those long-haul flights, the FAs will be gladly to provide one. Also good seats with adjustable winged head-rests and foot rests, although the seat pitch was somewhat cramped for me as I am 6'2" tall.
SQ*G BD*S

LH738

Wed Dec 13, 2000 4:05 pm

Thai has really great seats: spacious and very comfortable. The service is also outstanding.

Iberia has comfortable seats on their B747. But the service is poor: old F/As (a mix of young and older/experienced F/As is the best solution according to my opinion) without any motivation. On my flight they only stand at the doors without saying any word like "hi", "good evening", "bye" - nothing. They served lunch (+ 1 drink) and breakfast (+ 1 drink) in the morning. During the flight (Sao Paolo - Madrid) they didn't come and offer a drink. I had to go to the F/As in order to get a drink (in a middle seat you've always to wake-up your neighbour ...).
Aerolineas Argentinas has quite the same product as Iberia but a better mix of F/As.

SAS has friendly F/As, good food. Maybe one of the best airlines in Europe.

DatamanA340

Wed Dec 13, 2000 5:00 pm

Let me say what I remember.

Air France 'Tempo' in A340 was so good. Legroom is less than that of 744s (JAL) but FAs are so friendly with diverse Nationality and so food.

JAL's coach; I had most room in DC-10, but not any more. It was most uncomfortable. More reasonable for 747-2, though it was pretty narrow, and 744 seat was wide enough.
Most Japanese FAs are friendly, but, lack in English! You'd better to study basic Japanese to just take JAL flights. Especially for short-hauls, JAL doesn't operate non-Japanese FAs. To US/Europe routes are quite different: Half of them are English or French-speaking.
JAL's the most complaint is food. Almost disgusting.

KAL; I haven't taken KAL internationals, but seats of 777 is quite narrow. But its food service is so praised. My friends told me KE's is better than TG or SQ's, not to mention that of American carriers.

B-HOP

Wed Dec 13, 2000 5:55 pm

VS excellent, but 340 is really squashed, don't ever missed the safety briefing because you would laugh!

CX:- Good, like the legroom
Live life to max!!!

caravelle

Wed Dec 13, 2000 6:27 pm

SK is very good, both within Europe and on intercontinental flights. I try to avoid US carriers if I can, in my experience, in flight service is not very good (This is of course a sweeping statement - I have only flown NWA, Continental and United, but why risk it if there is an alternative?)
BA is good, as is Air Canada - I wound´t mind flying any of those in coach.

- caravelle
Trains and boats and planes....

klik

Thu Dec 14, 2000 12:52 am

BA is my preferred airline in economy. Comfortable seats (the new ones) with legrests, entertainment system with 12 video channels, plus 12 audio (but, unlike SQ, no games ), great food with choice of two main courses, and the best pursers/stewardesses that I've ever come across. They are always willing to help; I'll never forget the time I had a sprained ankle, and the stewardess was placing fresh ice on my injury, even as I was asleep!

Cheers,

klik

CNS

Thu Dec 14, 2000 2:30 am

MH has the best coach
great service!
wide seats (47 cm)
great seat pitch (87 cm) not like SIA (81 cm)!!!!
Great FA's
Great Food!

CNS

RE: LH738

Thu Dec 14, 2000 2:34 am

Yes, you are right! TG 773 has great comfortable seats and a nice config.(3-3-3). But their 772 have a config of 3-4-3 and the seats are narrow!
The also fly with them to FRA!!!!
SAS is also great!
But SIA isn't that good, MH is better!!!

avion

Thu Dec 14, 2000 2:36 am

CNS:

Thai will not fly the 777 to FRA. Neither the 777-300 nor the 777 (non-IGW) version are capable of flying BKK-FRA nonstop.

The flights you are talking of start off in Phuket and the continuation BKK-FRA is operated by 747s.

Avion

CNS

RE: Avion

Thu Dec 14, 2000 2:40 am

Look at their latest timetable!!!!
The fly both version to FRA!!!!

avion

Sat Dec 16, 2000 1:51 am

No CNS. You can check that the 777s that Thai has cant operate a flight as long as FRA-BKK. Thai has the non-ER version.

Avion

avion

Sun Dec 17, 2000 1:41 am

Mon Dec 18, 2000 1:38 am

MAS economy class on their B744 and B772 has the best seat, 34 inch seat pitch, 18 inch seat wide and personal PTV. Even though their A330 didn't have PTV, but their seat wide is 20 inch. Even though never flew with MAS A330, but my classmate said it was the most comfortable seat in the MAS fleet, wide and spacious.

BH346

Mon Dec 18, 2000 2:03 am

ANA-Average legroom, large lavs, friendly crew, food used to be good, but went downhill. I'd give them a 9/10

ANK-Avg. legroom, friendly crew, lots of amenities for a short flight, excellent. 9 1/2 out of 10

JTA(Japan TransOcean Air)-Avg. legroom, good crew, used to have lots of amenities, but now none, average.
7/10

Northwest-Avg.Legroom, very friendly and helpful staff, sometimes excellent, sometimes decent food, old fleet, and not much amenites compared to some other major US airlines. 8/10

Southwest-Sligtly better legroom on 737-700, funny crew, cramped lav, food is very little, but not bad peanuts and pretzels, very cheap 8/10

I'd say ANK was the best. I've only flown 35 minute segments between Okinawa and Miyakojima, Japan, but they give lots of service and amenities for such a short flight.

Best Regards,
BH346  
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

thai747

Mon Dec 18, 2000 2:37 am

Thai has never utilized the 777-200 ( or -300 ) on BKK - FRA route , never.

Avion is right , the 772 flight you've seen is the continuation of the BKK - FRA flight to Phuket done by the 772 aircraft.

747-400 FRA - BKK
777-200 BKK - HKT

The 772s are used on intra-asian routes only.

nwa747-400

Mon Dec 18, 2000 2:49 am

Continental - good fleet, good overhead space, avg legroom, friendly crews, good op performance, avg food 9/10

Northwest - good overhead space, avg legroom, very friendly and professional crews, nice cabin interiors, great op performance, good food 9/10

American - great legroom, avg crews, good fleet, poor op performance, poor food, avg ife - 8/10

Delta - good fleet, avg crews, avg legroom, poor food, good ife 7/10

USAirways - avg fleet, avg legroom, food (you dont get any), avg crews 7/10

TWA - avg fleet, avg legroom, poor crews 6/10

United - avg fleet, good ife, poor op performance, avg crews, avg legroom, poor food 5/10

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Dec 18, 2000 5:04 am

SIA would have the best Economy - Not Coach please because coach is something like a bus - but the seat pitch is cramped. I mean 32" that's horrible compared to affiliates Virgins 34".

SIA beats the rest. Except in terms of seat pitch

They have to do something or DVT will come
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

kLm-Md-11

Mon Dec 18, 2000 5:45 am

You peeps might laugh at me but I must say that CZ (
China Southern Airlines)' Economy class is not bad! I flew on SHA-CAN, CAN-PEK and CAN-LAX and I must say that their service is above the standards I would expect from a carrier from Mainland China! On all of the sectors, there were a great selection of AMERICAN drinks, 2 entreé selection (chinese and western). Also, a NEW movie was being shown as well as AMERICAN shows (CAN-LAX and CAN-PEK)! The FA's were friendly, spoke FLUENT English! Bowed upon entry of aircraft, bowed (in the aisles) upon push back! The aircraft was EXTREMELY clean and they came around with drinks and snacks almost every hour (CAN-LAX). That's what I call service!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Dec 18, 2000 6:17 am

Well I wouldn't want ot fly in a dirty aircraft!
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

airnewzealand

Mon Dec 18, 2000 7:37 am

Well Singapore Air, Qantas Domestic is very dirty!! Same as Ansett!!

caribb

Mon Dec 18, 2000 8:35 am

I've flown the following major airlines (with my remarks);

KLM (fly regularly)
Aircraft flown: MD-11, 747-300, 767-300 737-300, 737-400, F-100
Luggage space: average on all jets
leg room: very good
seat pitch: good
food: good-very good
flight attendants: very good
cabin appearance: good
Quality of Airport or airport hub: Amsterdam - excellent
On time performance: good
overall experience: slightly above average

Air Canada (fly regularly)
Aircraft flown: every aircraft except 747s
Luggage space: average on all jets
leg room: excellent (especially on A340s)
seat pitch: very good
food: excellent
flight attendants: fair-good
cabin appearance: very good
Quality of Airport or airport hub: Montreal - very good, Toronto - good to very good, Vancouver - excellent
overall experience: above average

Air France (fly occasionally but not often)
Aircraft flown: 747-400, 747-200, A300, A320
Luggage space: average except 747-200 - poor
food: excellent
flight attendants: excellent
Quality of airport or airport hub: Paris CDG - excellent

Delta (fly occasionally)
Aircraft flown: MD-80, 737-800, 757-200
Luggage space: average
leg room: poor
seat pitch: terrible
food: poor
flight attendants: poor-good
Quality of airport or airport hub: Atlanta - excellent, Cincinnati - excellent, Miami - good
on time performance: good
overall experience: below average

United (fly rarely)
Aircraft flown: 727-200
leg room: poor
seat pitch: poor
food: doesn't apply here
Quality of airport or airport hub: Chicago - excellent
overall experience: average

Northwest (fly occasionally but not often)
Aircraft flown: DC-9
leg room: good
seat pitch: poor
food: doesn't apply here
Quality of airport or airport hub: Detroit - very good
On time poerformance: good
overall experience: average to slightly above average

Canadian Airlines (fly occasionally but not often)
Aircraft flown: 767-300, 737-200
food: good
Quality of airport or airport hub: Vancouver - excellent

USAirways737

Caribb

Mon Dec 18, 2000 9:56 am

ABout your rating of ORD, is it safe to guess you havent been there in a very long time? Because anyone that has been there recently will tell you its a hell hole when there are delays (which is everyday if your flying Untied).

avion

Tue Dec 19, 2000 2:47 am

For CNS