MCOtoATL
Topic Author

Another Incident At ATL

Sun Dec 17, 2000 2:41 am

This is from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Hartsfield has had several such incidents over the past two weeks. I applaud the Delta crew for their efforts in this situation.

A Delta Air Lines flight bound for Houston with 108 passengers returned to Hartsfield International Airport Friday with one engine shut down, the latest in a spate of turn-around emergencies at Atlanta's airport.

"How often does this happen?" asked Russell Fielding of Tampa, who was en route to Houston for a wedding,

It was at least the seventh returned flight in little more than two weeks. None has turned into an actual emergency, and Friday's incident did not involve any emergency evacuations from the Delta 727.

John Kennedy, spokesman for Delta, called it a "fairly routine out and back" caused by "an indicator light showing a possible problem with one engine."

After further investigation the Federal Aviation Administration revealed the cause of the situation. Kathleen Bergan, the public affairs manager for the FAA, said the problem was caused by a heat air duct malfunction that caused the engine warning lights to illuminate. "Something like this is very uncommon. Occasionally we get warning lights, but usually it is a problem with a warning light itself," said Bergan.

Flight 941 to Houston left at 11:45 a.m., and passenger Dwayne Payne said, "we hadn't been in the air three or four minutes when the pilot came on the intercom and said we were going back.

"He said Engine No. 1 had failed and they had shut it down. He said, 'Don't worry, this plane can fly easily on two engines and we've got three left.' "

McCree Hennessee, of Corpus Christi, Texas, said the pilot handled the situation "very well. He kept us well informed all the way. He told us not to worry when we saw emergency equipment on the runway. You wouldn't have known anything was wrong if he hadn't told us."

Richard Chester of Augusta, en route to Houston to visit his newborn granddaughter, agreed that "the crew was great in keeping everything calm."

There was cheering and clapping when the plane came to rest about 10 minutes after the pilot announced it was returning, Payne said. The passengers scattered to various Delta gates on Concourse A to seek booking on other flights to Houston.

b727

RE: Another Incident At ATL

Sun Dec 17, 2000 4:44 am

Last I knew the 727 had 3 engines to begin with, so if they shut one down how does that leave three left????

"He said Engine No. 1 had failed and they had shut it down. He said, 'Don't worry, this plane can fly easily on two engines and we've got three left.' "

The media needs to get their heads out of their asses.

Glenn
B727

MCOtoATL
Topic Author

I Don't Think The Media Screwed It Up

Sun Dec 17, 2000 5:30 am

When I read the article, I noticed the comment about the passenger who said that they would still have on engine left. But it was not necessarily the media that messed that one up - it was a quote from a passenger. I guess it shows that passengers don't know much about the planes on which they fly.

I, on the other hand, fly quite a bot because of my job, and I pick my own flights and airlines so that I can fly on planes or airlines that I don't experience too often.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos