This picture is awesome!!

Good job, Gary Watt!!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

hmmmm...

RE: CHeck Out This Awesome Picture!

Sun Dec 17, 2000 8:16 am

Yes, good job Gary. How wide was your lens? Right now for me that is one factoring limiting my wow-factor in my shots, lens angle. My widest is only 28 mm.

Hmmmm...
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

cfalk

RE: Check Out This Awesome Picture!

Sun Dec 17, 2000 10:06 am

That is not a wide angle shot. In fact I'd say that it was taken at around 200mm, maybe more. But the air seems extremely clear. Usually at long range you get a little bit of haze.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

hkgspotter1

Sun Dec 17, 2000 1:13 pm

If the weather was good this is the kind of photo you could take of any aircraft landing on 25R at CLK. You would need a 400-500mm lens.

hmmmm...

Sun Dec 17, 2000 3:10 pm

Here's what I don't understand about Gary's photo. In order to get an object of that size completely within the field of view of the lens, usually that means that it must occupy a smaller amount of the frame. But the fuselage is huge in this United shot compared to the same of mine below.

My shot was taken with a 200 mm zoom, and you can see that I just barely got the whole plane inside the field of view. But to do that, look how small the BA fuselage is compared to Gary's picture previously posted above.

If I would have used say a 400 mm zoom lens, the fuselage would be as big as in Gary's, but I would have only captured about half the plane in the photo. Gary has shot the plane as if he was very close, either by physical proximity or by way of zoom, but he also manages to get almost the entire wingspan and fuselage in as well.

It would seem to me that Gary shot this with a very expensive, wide-angle lens. For sure, this was not your ordinary zoom lens. That's what gives this photo its unusually spectacular appearance. That's why it was selected for discussion. Something about how it looks does not seem to be the product of an ordinary camera with an ordinary zoom lens.

Gary?

Hmmmm...

ERJ135

Sun Dec 17, 2000 3:18 pm

I'm not a photographic expert, but I would be inclined to say some "Cropping" might be involved.
I remember when the DC-3 was new!

Qantas737

Sun Dec 17, 2000 3:44 pm

You have to also take the angle that the pic is taken at into account.

hmmmm...

Sun Dec 17, 2000 4:24 pm

Does the United 747 look a little "clean" to you? The underside of the wings, flaps, and the slats show no shade, but also no detail. The slats look as if they are computer generated.

Is it just me? It's still a great photo, but something to me looks artificial. Or has it just been sprayed over with an air brush in these areas to "clean" it up?

Hmmmm...

Qantas737

Sun Dec 17, 2000 4:36 pm

I noticed the aircraft looks a little "dirty" under the body too, but I dont really doubt Gary Watt's work. He does a great job, maybe he has cleaned it up a bit though, which is not bad  

BO__einG

Sun Dec 17, 2000 5:52 pm

Under what I see, He must of gotten close to it..pretty close and zoomed it in with a higher power of lens like 75-300 but not entirely sure..
I could do those with the 75-150 I currently have..But then again... The shot is good and I like it very much.
Bo Kim --(-<==
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

Thom@s

Sun Dec 17, 2000 7:36 pm

Something strange about that fuselage indeed.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

hkgspotter1

Sun Dec 17, 2000 7:55 pm

Your correct, I never saw that. The underside of the wings and the flaps are not real. Don't know whats been done to it but its not correct. The whole underside of the wings have been coloured grey.

Come to think of it I dont remember seeing that much flap either !!

Maybe Gary can explain whats been done to this photo.

airnewzealand

Sun Dec 17, 2000 8:55 pm

Awesome, make it my Wallpaper!!

Cheers\
mikey
Haere Ra (From NewZealand)
      AirNZ: The worlds warmest welcome!!     

Sun Dec 17, 2000 9:05 pm

I don't believe it: Everytime someone posts a topic about a picture, someone else will come up and shout "That's fake!"
Does envy of skill never stop?

Has no one here heard of the "Reduce Graininess" feature in Adobe Photoshop - which tends to result in such clean surfaces? And who thinks there's too much flap? That is just ridiculous - next time, better look closely at a landing 747...

hmmmm...

Mon Dec 18, 2000 2:40 am

In the United photo, the sun seems to be in the 2 o' clock position. But the canoes on the left wing seem to be casting a shadow as if the sun was in the 7 or 8 o'clock position.

Gary?

Hmmmm...

Mon Dec 18, 2000 9:08 am

Wow! Thats a great shot, If you could get it that in the dawn or the evening, it would be probally the best shot ive evr seen

AerLingus

Mon Dec 18, 2000 12:42 pm

The photograph only looks as though it has been cleaned up a little, which is fine.
As far as that large amount of flap, I would say that it may be attributed to the angle.
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Mon Dec 18, 2000 2:56 pm

It does look strange indeed.
The bottom is dirty, but the top is clean.
Why does it say "London Aviation Pictures" at the bottom???

QF747-SQ747

AC_A340

Mon Dec 18, 2000 10:49 pm

The flaps and undersides of the wings may look a bit colored. And if you look closely at the underside of the fuselage, it is a reflection of what is on the ground.

Give him some credit guys, it's a very good picture.

How many of you can honestly say that you have never touched up a photograph?

Mon Dec 18, 2000 11:45 pm

I've got tons of pictures like that taken at runway 25R of CLK (no special skills involved). So I guess that physical proximity is the main factor to the angle of view.

JetService

Tue Dec 19, 2000 1:31 am

Not an aircraft expert nor photography expert, but is it unusual that the leading edge of the starboard wing is blue, and the port side wing is white or light gray? Just curious.
"Shaddap you!"

Sukhoi

Tue Dec 19, 2000 1:51 am

Great picture!

I would say taken on the approach to runway 27R where you can get nice and close, with probably a 300mm lens ?

I have some similar pictures so there is nothing trick about the size of the aircraft in the image.

Nice work Gary!

All the best

Paul

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos