MCOtoATL
Topic Author

CRJ - Overhead Compartment?

Mon Dec 18, 2000 3:12 am

On Christmas Eve I am flying from Orlando to Atlanta via Midway Airlines. I usually fly Delta, but Midway had a sale fare of $89 round trip (whereas the best I had previously done was $129.) I will be flying a 737-700 from MCO to Raliegh-Durham, and then a CRJ to ATL. Does the CRJ have any overhead space in which to put a duffle bag (a carry on?) I know that space is precious inside such a small plane.

RE: CRJ - Overhead Compartment?

Mon Dec 18, 2000 3:20 am

Space in the overhead bin is about the same as a 732.

crjmech

Mon Dec 18, 2000 3:21 am

Yes, the CRJ does have overhead compartments on both sides of the cabin. They are quite a bit smaller than what is found aboard a full-size plane, though.
Thou shalt mind thine altitude,lest the ground reach up and smite thee.

desertjets

Mon Dec 18, 2000 5:07 am

They are noticably smaller, Midway should have sizers at the gates to see if it will fit. If your bag is a tight fit on a regular jet, don't even try. Otherwise there still should be enough underseat room for it.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Jetpilot500

Mon Dec 18, 2000 5:19 am

Most airlines that operate CRJs or ERJs allow you to do what is called "gate check" your bag. When you walk up to the airplane, a ramp agent will tag your bag and give you a receipt. He will then place it in the cargo area. When you arrive at your destination and step off the airplane, your bag will be waiting for you. No need to go to baggage claim. Unless you need access to your bag in flight, this is the best way, and it is safe. Have a safe trip.

wannabe

Mon Dec 18, 2000 6:58 am

Midway allows gate check on all CRJ flights, as Jetpilot500 said. It assumes, however, that it's not a 40lb duffle bag. These bags have to be hand carried down the jetway stairs by the ground crew, and then carried up at the destination. They do get upset, and justafiably so, when people gate check what should have been sent through baggage.The overhead bin in the CRJ will hold a small to medium size duffle, but I don't think it is a big as a 732. If you wouldn't expect your mother to carry it up and down a flight of stairs, don't expect them to either. Be kind to the working people.

gocaps16

Mon Dec 18, 2000 7:48 am

Have you ever been on a Charter bus? Well, let say the CRJ overhead bin is about the same as a bus. 

Well, I think so, I was on 2 CRJs yesterday from IAD-SAV-IAD on Atlantic Coast Airlines.

K. Cook/Arlington,VA/DCA

codc10

Mon Dec 18, 2000 8:09 am

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Philippe Gindrat

That should help.

watewate

Mon Dec 18, 2000 8:15 am

Re:MCOtoATL
Those are extremely cheap fares! Your baggage question was answered above, so I won't add anything. But RDU is an excellent airport. It's not congested at all. If there was one hub I don't mind flying with tight connection, RDU is one of the few. BTW, if you got time, you should catch a b-ball game at Chapel Hill or Duke.