OneWORLD: What Going On?

Mon Dec 18, 2000 8:33 am

As you all know, there is an alliance called OneWorld, but I keep hearing rumours about BA leaving as well as QA, but have they left? Will they leave? Why? Also what airlines are looking to join it? I am confused...............  
-Marten

aussie_

RE: OneWORLD: What Going On?

Mon Dec 18, 2000 8:43 am

Yes there have been lots of rumours, but there was recently a meeting designed to patch up the problems. I don't know the result of that meeting.

Personally I think Oneworld will stick together and become stronger. I'm betting JAL will join at some stage along with Malaysian (if Qantas get a stake). That will make it quite dominant in Asia. The possibility of Aerolineas Argentinas joining (shareholding by Iberia, codeshares with QF etc) would also make it dominant in South America and it is already quite strong in Europe. Qantas' strong link with many small-medium pacific carriers could lead to them becoming 2nd tier members.

Finally, with Sabena/Swissairs' recent links with AA, some pundits have hopefully linked these airlines with Oneworld as Qualiflyer has no global possibilities. This is at best hopeful but if it occured would lead to oneworld becoming by far the largest world alliance grouping.

The Ticketor

RE: OneWORLD: What Going On?

Mon Dec 18, 2000 6:16 pm

No, everybody is still in the alliance, QF too. I have heard the same rumors that Aussie have heard. I think the future for oneworld looks brighter no compared to just a month or two ago. Take a look at this link for a little more info:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/336966/