Iberia DC-10's

Tue Dec 19, 2000 6:17 am

Well, the time finally came, for Iberia to retire its fleet of 8, hard-working, reliable DC-10-30's. I have flown in a few of their DC-10's and over the years, Iberia has been able to establish themselves as the biggest European airline serving Latin America. Now the A340 will substitute the DC-10 and the Boeing 747's are left to retire. DO you think Iberia will retire the B 747's with new B 747-400's or new A-340's? Tell me which type would solve their replacement problem.

American 767

RE: Iberia DC-10's

Tue Dec 19, 2000 8:02 am

Yes, you're right. Iberia just retired its last DC-10, a type that is now replaced with the A340. The JFK-BCN flight was until now a DC-10. I booked a trip to New York with Iberia last year, I was scheduled to go through Madrid on the outbound segment. I wanted to fly back to Brussels through Barcelona for two reasons: I like the Barcelona airport and I wanted to fly one last time on a DC-10 before they would be phased out. But unfortunately the airline called me to change my flights, going through Madrid instead of Barcelona because I had to go through Madrid to pay the lowest fare. I was so disappointed that I decided not to buy the ticket. I chose instead American which which I had the same fare.
They do still have 747-200's, I saw one in JFK the other day. Those will also be phased out in the near future, the replacement will either be the 747-400 or the A340. But I doubt they will order 747-400's. They will more likely order additional A340's.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Ben Soriano

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos