jfidler

Why Are There Airline Ticket Offices In The Burbs?

Tue Dec 19, 2000 2:34 pm

I was catching up on my holiday shopping tonight, and while sitting at a stoplight, noticed a UA ticket office, in a strip mall in Rockville, Maryland (a suburb of DC, about 15 miles from DC, and at least 30 minutes' drive from BWI, DCA, IAD).

This got me to wondering: why do airlines have ticket offices that aren't at the airport? What purpose do they serve? The only reason I could think of is to pick up a ticket (that wasn't an e-ticket), but FedEx can deliver the ticket the next morning to anywhere, so why not just use them?

On top of that, this ticket office was in a suburb of DC, not even in the city itself. UA used to (I assume it still does) have a ticket office in downtown DC. So why the duplication? What are these offices for?

Justin

tygue

RE: Why Are There Airline Ticket Offices In The Burbs?

Tue Dec 19, 2000 2:40 pm

People who live more than 5 miles from an airport travel sometimes too  

jfidler

Wed Dec 20, 2000 7:31 am

But why do these people need to go to ticket offices? What's wrong with just delivering the paper tickets via FedEx or some other overnight service?

Justin

bhmal

Thu Dec 21, 2000 9:39 pm

My first guess would be marketing. To have a presence and be seen throughout larger cities. But this is only a guess. I would think it would cost the airlines to operate more than what it could return in sales. Seeing as how paper tickets are still issued but the e-ticket is becoming ever popular and one day (I'm sure the airlines want to see this day) there will be no more paper tickets I don't know what other good these offices do except again, people seeing that sign who haven't dealt with a computer much and they just swing by to make that reservation.

I'm sure the airlines would love to make all reservations on the web one day and have no res call centers but this too is just a guess.

Thu Dec 21, 2000 10:08 pm

It's convenient if you have a complicated itinerary, have a big group, or need to ticket in person (e.g. if you're flying on a frequent flyer ticket and need to exchange a certificate -- although UA doesn't have this problem). I've had to use suburban ticket offices many times. I don't think they're really necessary though...TWA closed nearly all of theirs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos