Airbus A380

Wed Dec 20, 2000 5:16 am

I am sorry people but that name doesn't have any appeal what-so-ever.

O.K. let me try to repeat it to myself:
Airbus A380. I don't think so. Airbus lovers no offense o.k. please, I beg of you don't take this the wrong way. This is just me expressing my thoughts about the hedious name they've chosen for such a magnificent airplane.

aa777dr
P.S. - I am a boeing fan.

RE: Airbus A380

Wed Dec 20, 2000 5:24 am

I respect you because you are a Boeing fan, me too, big time and i completely dissagree with the A380. To me it looks like a flying aparment building.

flashmeister

Wed Dec 20, 2000 5:48 am

I'd sure be nervous flying on a plane that large with such an illogical FBW philosophy...

For me anyway, thumbs-down...

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Dec 20, 2000 6:37 am

As in my post that was deleted. It's tacky. A3XX comes into mind much more quickly than A380. For one we all know and love it as A3XX and not A380, and secondly, when you think of why you name was chosen, you need to thing "Oh A340, A3XX. Twice A340. Hmm. A380. Oooh donuts!" While A3XX seems special which it is.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

leigh pilgrim

Wed Dec 20, 2000 6:49 am

Someone reassure me this will not put BOEING in the dark, after all i preffere boeing aircraft to airbus

modesto2

Wed Dec 20, 2000 2:52 pm

I don't want to jump to conclusions but I must ask: why the "8"?

Joni

Wed Dec 20, 2000 8:05 pm

Perhaps they chose "8" for the same reason it's popular with ice hockey players - it's the "biggest" number visually, and obviously to indicate this plane is not just a continuation of their existing portfolio.

I'm surprised at how elaborate belief structures people are willing to support just to make the A380 (almost wrote A3xx!) look doomed. It's just a big plane. There are many routes in the world with sufficiently heavy traffic. Flying it is both cheaper and a bit comfier (in economy, a lot comfier in biz) than other planes. Airlines are obviously interested.

Some think BWB is Boeing's answer to A380. Unfortunately we aren't going to get rides in blended-wing a/c for a while yet. Both Boeing and Airbus have been looking at these designs for decades, yet there is no product on market. How would it be certified? How does it behave at high and low speed? How much more expensive is it to r&d and build? How fast does it go? There are some setbacks, for instance the A380 can be stretched and shrunk at relatively low expense, whereas a BWB family would be prohibitively expensive. Designing one model costs more than designing one conventional model. Subsequent conventional derivatives are cheap, but BWB derivatives are still very expensive.

Mayhap we'll see them when aircraft switch to hydrogen fuel.

caetravlr

Wed Dec 20, 2000 8:13 pm

I think the term A380 is going to have to grow on everyone just like the term A3XX became familiar to us for a long time. It is a designation that was chosen, and that is all. I am personally a Boeing fan, and do not believe that this is by any means going to buy Airbus total airliner dominance or mean any kind of end for Boeing. It may or may not mean some sort of dominance for Airbus in one particular category of aircraft. Its profitability for Airbus will only be determined years down the road.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos