SQA340
Topic Author

United Thinking Of Codesharing With Air India

Fri Dec 22, 2000 10:58 am

From MSN money UAL news

By Aparna Kalra

NEW DELHI, Dec 20 (Reuters) - United Airlines (UAL), which plans to re-enter the Indian market after an almost two-year gap, is in talks with Air India over a code-share alliance, a United official said on Wednesday.

The U.S.-based airline, the world's largest, and Air India [AI.UL] had a code-share arrangement before United withdrew from the Indian market in 1999, citing the Asian economic recession.

"United and Air India are evaluating the possibility of a code-share arrangement," said Michael Purchon, United Airlines general manager for India. United also plans to start a double daily flight from New Delhi in April 2001, he said.

An Air India spokesman said the Indian flag airline was also keen on a code-share arrangement, which allows airlines to sell seats on each other's flights.

Neither gave further details.

Air India, which operates 10 flights from India to the United States, has registered good passenger loads on this route. The state-owned airline is keen to add new services to the United States but is hamstrung by its small 24-aircraft fleet.

New Delhi will be one stop on United's round-the-world service which starts in April next year. It plans to link Washington, Los Angeles, Hong Kong, New Delhi and London through the service.

"Most people just want to go from one destination to the other and not travel around the world. So we are telling them about our convenient connections, rather than playing up the round the world part," Purchon said.

United's entry into India will add over 5,000 seats per week to the country's total airline seat availability of 117,000.

© 2000 Reuters

Did you ever think United will go for this?

Mike

IndianGuy

RE: United Thinking Of Codesharing With Air India

Fri Dec 22, 2000 12:26 pm

I personally wouldnt like to see AI have anything to do with United airlines in particular.

UA has shown its pettiness and cheap behaviour towards AI not once but many times in the past, and in the last instance left hundreds of AI passengers stranded at ORD.

if it knows whats good for it AI shouldnt touch the likes of UA with a barge-pole.

akash

Fri Dec 22, 2000 12:39 pm

I don't know much about the situation in ORD that Indianguy is referring to...but I could see a codeshare agreement between AI and UA being beneficial to passengers, in light of UA's worldwide network. Could someone pls explain what happened in ORD...thanx

Akash
Next flight - YYZ-DEL Jul 29

VirginA340

Fri Dec 22, 2000 12:41 pm

I feel AA should be flying to India instead of UAL considering AA did help out AI with the passengers when UAL didn't come through. I would like to see CO fly there as well. Delta's service to Mumbai has worsened and now I won't even fly them but now it's either Virgin or Kuwait to India out of LHR. I won't even touch BA due to on my last flight the staff at JFK were quite discriminatory to me and my parents even before I boarded the plane at in July of 1997. They never even got back to me within the six months of sending complaints to their hq via mail and e-mail as well as phone call compared to other carriers like KLM swissair and co who've gotten back to me within a few fays.
"FUIMUS"

IndianGuy

RE: VirginA340

Fri Dec 22, 2000 1:56 pm

Why dont u fly AI out of LHR?

B747-437B

Fri Dec 22, 2000 6:02 pm

If the UA/AI deal goes through, I will officially change my name to Charlie and dance on my head.  

Thats all.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada