Topic Author

Reviving The Lockheed Electra

Sun Dec 24, 2000 3:38 pm

The Electra was the last of the Large turboprops. Are any of them still in passenger service?

It would be really cool to see an Electra-NG.

Considering how sturdy it is, i am surprised that it has not been deployed in a military role yet. I think it would make a fantastic military transport and recce aircraft.

RE: Reviving The Lockheed Electra

Sun Dec 24, 2000 3:57 pm

The Electra shows remarkable similarities to the P3 Orion don't you think?  
The old Electra sure is sturdy. Maybe because of all the patches to stop the fuel running out faster than it goes in. A damn fine aircraft nonetheless!

Sun Dec 24, 2000 4:05 pm

a P-3 for all intents and purposes is an Electra...
same engines/wings/tail/nose
fuselage and tail cone are modified

As for civilian ones.. Cargo ones are still buzzing around... Willow Run is a hot spot for them...

Passenger alas its days are over... Reeve Aleutian Airways has gone under and they were the last to operate the 'lectras

Sorry to see happen... but such is life... in 20 years we will all be mourning the Dc-10 and 747 LOL...

Keep those wings level, and Never look back  
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Sun Dec 24, 2000 5:03 pm

Reeve is not COMPLETELY shut down. Still doing a few charters that they were obligated to do. Kept on 8 mechanics. But, it does look grim. For the time being, they have avoided bankruptcy, but the hangar is a ghost town. The one shining light in all of this is that the pilots refused to come to work unless the owner paid all the employees their last check, which he did. Here.. here.. for a little solidarity across the ranks!

Sun Dec 24, 2000 5:26 pm

As far as I know both the remaining Reeve Charters are being operated with their 727's. I usually get to see their USAF charter taxi out on the ferry flight to Elemendorf.

I believe all three electras are still there parked on the ramp. The problem is that it is dark out there right now so I can't see them to confirm that!!!

The P-3 was developed from the Electra but only about 30% of the parts are interchangable. That info I got from a friend who was a P-3 Crew Chief before he retired from the Navy. He got a job on the ramp for Reeve. He said one of the funniest things that he did after he got that job was to call one of his old buddies, "Hey guess what I am working on now!!!"