Crews/hubs

Tue Apr 06, 1999 10:58 pm

Airline Crews [pilots/FAs] are "based" at a certain city i know that. But must they be based at one of that airlines hubs? Or can they be based any where they fly?

RE: Crews/hubs

Tue Apr 06, 1999 11:09 pm

i would think it depends on the airline and the economics of airline operations. i cannot really speak for the u.s. but for example:

air canada and winnipeg, manitoba.
air canada has a pilot base and f/a base here but winnipeg is not a hub by any means nor is it really strategic for air canada.
the ecomonics of having pilots fly in and out of winnipeg and the expence of overnighting crews where crews can merely return to base at the end of the day and start again the next day.

not sure if this is a good answer or not.

Wed Apr 07, 1999 1:29 am

Generally speaking, all hubs are domiciles (crew bases), but not all domeciles are hubs. For example, until recently AA had a pilot domecile in San Diego, but SAN has never been an AA hub. Likewise, AA has a domecile at SFO and at LGA for both pilots and flight attendants, but neither of these are hubs.

Wed Apr 07, 1999 7:00 am

So could i fly for American or Aircanada and be based in phx?

Thu Apr 08, 1999 4:35 am

Unfortunately, I do not know the locations of all of American's domeciles, or those of any other airlines. sorry.