slawko

Pilot Dies 20mins Before Landing

Mon Jan 01, 2001 1:18 am

KYIV, Dec. 29 – A Ukrainian Airlines pilot died on Thursday 20 minutes prior to landing while piloting a TU-134 plane from Kyiv to Moscow, news wires reported.
According to the Russian newspaper Segodnya, the pilot, 57-year-old Vasyl Pasukh, could have died of a heart attack, based on doctors’ reports. But Ukrainian Airlines representatives said that "no pilot in the company can board a plane without passing a medical examination," the report said.

Ukraine’s air transport department under the state department said that Pastukh was examined on Dec. 4 by a medical commission, which considered him fit for flight.

But according to a pilot who wished to remain unnamed, if Pastukh was sick, he could have reported his condition prior to the flight. In reality, however, "Losing the job is a tragedy. Even retiring is considered a misfortune - you cannot survive as a result," the pilot told Segodnya. He added that this results in pilots bribing medical commission doctors to falsify medical exam results.

"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

iahcsr

RE: Pilot Dies 20mins Before Landing

Mon Jan 01, 2001 3:32 am

I believe it is quite possible to pass a medical exam with no indications of a heart problem, and up and die of a heart attack a few days later. Likewise, it's just as possible for a pilot to takeoff feeling just fine, and start having chest pain shortly afterward without warning. If there are any medical proffesionals out there, feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this.
Working very hard to Fly Right....

conair

RE: Pilot Dies 20mins Before Landing

Mon Jan 01, 2001 6:45 am

there was a case a couple of years ago when a BA B747-400 captain died in his crew rest bunk on a flight enroute to Tokyo. It was reckoned he had a massive heart attack when asleep