LGW
Topic Author

What Do You Really Think Of London Gatwick?

Thu Jan 04, 2001 3:53 am

Hi,
London Gatwick (LGW) is my local airport and has changed a lot recetly. I was just wondering as americans, australians etc, how do u view LGW? especially compared with LHR?

Im interested to hear ya views

blink182

RE: What Do You Really Think Of London Gatwick?

Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:07 am

I haven't been to LHR, but I like LGW a lot, I hate switching terminals though, it is a huge confusion(especially international to international connection) but other than that, it is a great airport.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

BostonBeau

Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:32 am

I think it's a great airport too. I just wish they would add another runway and increase capacity. You can't beat the Gatwick Express for convenience to central London, Heathrow Express and Piccadilly Line notwithstanding.

Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:41 am

What Blink182 just said, I am the same way he is, I also haven't been to LHR as well. American Airlines is 1 carrier that operates into LHR only from the northeast like New York JFK, other than that No Carrier out of DFW goes into LHR direct, nonstop. I also wished for Virgin Atlantic can start LHR-DFW if this can happen anytime soon.

baec777xx  

caravelle

Thu Jan 04, 2001 6:07 am

Gatwick is in many ways better than Heathrow, it's got a nice feel to it. I've never connected to another flight at Gatwick, so I don't know about that - but I do know Heathrow can be a hassle.
Best of the bunch though is Stansted. Compact, clean and friendly. All three airports have good connections to London. I've not been to Luton, which these days is the new destiantion for Scandinavian charter flights to London.

- caravelle
Trains and boats and planes....

EI133

Thu Jan 04, 2001 6:26 am

I was flying out of Gatwick to Ibiza about a year ago and I had a six hour turnaround after arriving from Dublin.I had the same turnaround on the return sector.I have to say I really enjoyed my time there.I got to see a great amount of aircraft and airlines that I would not see here in Dublin.I also visited the spectators gallery and really enjoyed the Comet and Hearald on display.I found the staff at LGW very pleasent and as regards the transfer between terminals very easy to use.I usually fly out of LHR and STN but I have to say I would still prefer LGW.I picked a great little book here in Dublin recently on Gatwick.Hope this is of interest to you.EI133

Thu Jan 04, 2001 7:52 am

In my opinion, LGW beats LHR hands (or should that be wings?) down. Their two terminals beat LHR's four (five if you count T3 Arrivals and Departures as seperate ones) for convenience and easy transfers - especially important if you're in a strange environment and don't speak the local language.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos