UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Hands-on Passenger Safety Class

Thu Jan 04, 2001 2:45 pm

I was wondering about this for a while now. Why don't airlines set aside special days at their emergency training facilities for passengers, particularly frequent fliers, in order for them to gain real-life experience in emergency situations? We all hear the monotonous safety briefings every time we fly. Many of us tune them out thinking we know it all. Why not allow passengers to see what it would really be like to open a cabin door and evcacuate down a slide in near zero visibility? I think pasengers would be alot better off having the experience of opening emergency exits rather than just reading the information on a safety card. Let them see how exit path lighting will guide them to an exit in thick smoke...etc. Let them see how chaos can erupt in an emergency situation. After actually getting a hands-on experience with these procedures, I think fliers will have better peace of mind when they fly. They will know what to expect and how to react should something out of the ordinary occur.
Granted, it may not look good for PR to have one of these classes advertised in the inflight magazine. Then there is the liability issue if someone got hurt during the activities. But aside from those two drawbacks, what do you all think?

iahcsr

RE: Hands-on Passenger Safety Class

Thu Jan 04, 2001 2:55 pm

I believe there is at least one private company that does this very thing. Their clients are corporate business travelers. I don't know if they offer the same service to the general public or not.
Working very hard to Fly Right....

ILUV767

Thu Jan 04, 2001 3:02 pm

Having those classes would be great. Another idea is having classes for the fearful flyer, where they are taught to deal with their fears on mock ups at the training center, and then as part of the package deal, they would have a short r/t flight.

UAL Bagsmasher,
Do you know how I could get a tour of the "compound" (training facilities)? My dad has absolutly no connections with the training department in ORD for flight attendants.

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

RE:ILUV767

Thu Jan 04, 2001 3:06 pm

I know a 744 F/O who directed me to the NEw Hire Piloit Supervisor in ORD to get a look around DENTK. As far as the SW training facility goes, we're in the same boat there.... 

ILUV767

Thu Jan 04, 2001 3:12 pm

UAL Bagsmasher,

DENTK would be cool. I've seen photos and video clips from there. I have a f/a friend, who is a new hire, and he said that he wouldnt know how to get a tour of the "compound" for f/a's in ORD.

Thanks anyway.

Happy Bag smashing 
-david

UAL Bagsmasher
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2001 3:30 pm

Do you know exactly where that compound is located in ORD? I can mosey in there someday and see how fast I get kicked out... 

ILUV767

Thu Jan 04, 2001 4:07 pm

I think that it is just outside of Chicago. Near WHQ. I'll call my friend Jason and ask him. The funny thing is that i've not been able to get a hold of him lately. He lives in SMF but is based out of ORD, so he has a crashpad, but I do not know the telephone number.

I'll also send out an email to my buddy UALfa@jfk, who may shine a light on this subject for us.

Oh, quickly, I remeber something...Jason told me that the compound is in a little mexican town near chicago. He had his hair cut at a barber shop, where there were four mexican barbers, and there was a lady. That lady was the only one who spoke english. He got his head shaved...accidently or course.
Do you know of any mostly major mexican communities outside of Chicago? I hope that helps.

BTW...I hope that I did not affend anyone with the above comment.

airnewzealand

Thu Jan 04, 2001 6:50 pm

AirNZ, have some of these classes. If you ring up the airline and ask to talk to someone about Safety they will give you the phone number. You have to get a group of about 25 people so i did not end up going. STINK!!!!

I know it would of been a good experience. Also Ansett NewZealand (now Qantas NewZealand) did this aswell.

Cheers
mikey

VirginFlyer

Thu Jan 04, 2001 8:09 pm

Several airlines do run classes to help with fear of flying, which includes a flight at the end of it...
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

airnewzealand

Thu Jan 04, 2001 8:13 pm

Virginflyer..... Have you been to an AirNZ training session??

What part of AKL?