SQ SIN-MUC-ORD

Sat Jan 06, 2001 1:02 am

hi everyone...
a few weeks back there were posts regarding a rumored new service from SIN to ORD via MUC. i was hoping that would materialise, but there were a few doubtful points. the most glaring point was how SQ would start a new route to a new final destination with a stopover that was a new destination as well.

well i called SQ chicago yesterday and asked if there are or will be direct flights between ORD and SIN, and the lady said there aren't, you have to fly domestic to their gateways at SFO, LAX, JFK and EWR and then connect. i then asked her if there are plans to start flights soon, and she said "not that i know of." there is also no mention of this new service on yahoo airline news or the sq website, so i suppose this isn't going to happen anytime soon.

another interesting point: i notice that the sign at ORD t3 lists SQ as one of the airlines there. is this leftover from SQ's codeshare with AA via LAX or SFO in the early '90s, or is there some other thing behind this?

flumuc

RE: SQ SIN-MUC-ORD

Sat Jan 06, 2001 1:11 am

In 2 Magazines (Approach and Aero Magazine) it says that Singapore Airlines will start the flights (SIN-MUC-ORD) in August on B777. I called SIA Germany and they told me that there ARE plans for such a flight. She couldn't give me more details.

Jubilee777

Sat Jan 06, 2001 1:16 am

It may be the cargo flight if it's SQ7972.

J777

Nightfly

Sat Jan 06, 2001 1:33 am

Flumuc is right, there will be a new passenger-service SIN-MUC-ORD in August 2001. This is no cargo flight.

best regards,
nightfly

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Jan 06, 2001 2:08 am

SIA are so private. SIA UK told me that as there was no official memo from HQ, they couldn't comment.

Urrh!
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

johnnybgoode

Sat Jan 06, 2001 2:34 am

i fully agree with flumuc.
according to the german magazine aero international, singapore will start sin-muc-od three times a week using 777s.
but i´d like to mention that this magazine, which is a wonderful one, sometimes isn´t 100% accurate on new orders and routes.
but i think it´s true because lufthansa is introducing three times a week services from munich to singapore in june, so they can almost offer daily services between both cities. in addition this service strenghtens the already existing lufthansa service to ord.
actually, singapore wanted to serve ord via london-heathrow but they couldn´t get the rights.
that´s another reason why they bought into virgin, to get a bigger slice of the us-market.
think of it!

daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

Sat Jan 06, 2001 5:32 am

august? ugh. would have loved to fly home for summer on the new flight. oh well, it probably costs a bomb anyway.

interstingly though the flight will be on a 772... one of the first long haul SQ flights on 772s?

flumuc

Sat Jan 06, 2001 5:38 am

The Cargo flights starting September on B747-Freighter