CX 4ever
Topic Author

CX And Oneworld

Sun Jan 07, 2001 5:12 pm

What's going on with CX and Oneworld Alliance?
Why all newly repainted CX aircraft, like B-HUE, B-HOZ, don't have any Oneworld logos on them? Any reasons behind?

Regards,

CX 4ever

aussie_

RE: CX And Oneworld

Sun Jan 07, 2001 5:38 pm

they've been rumours about BA quitting oneworld and also AA quitting oneworld. I haven't heard about CX.

All I know is that from the weight of rumour around, oneworld isn't healthy like star. I think however in time that everything will calm down and there will be no question of CX quitting.

Trvlr

Sun Jan 07, 2001 5:47 pm

CX should stay in Oneworld. With some of their most high-profile routes being to Oneworld hubs (HKG-LHR, HKG-SYD), it would put them out of the whole alliance picture for too long of a time if they dropped out. Besides, where else would they want to go? Star already has two SE Asian members, and Skyteam or Wings do not provide as much opportunity for expansion & cooperation as Oneworld does now.

Aaron G.

gibberish

Sun Jan 07, 2001 10:35 pm

Trvlr: Qualiflyer? CX already codeshares with SR!

Oneworld is a bit shaky right now but it'll settle down soon. Qualiflyer will join and BA may definately leave. Who know's what'll happen.

Crosswind

Mon Jan 08, 2001 2:12 am

The oneworld logos that the airlines apply to their aircraft near the main doors are decals, and not painted. They are added to the aircraft after painting is completed.

If they are missing from recently painted aircraft, it will most probably be due to one thing;

Problems in getting oneworld decals to apply to newly painted aircraft, rather than an indication that Cathay Pacific is leaving the alliance.

Canadi>an airlines applied oneworld logos to their newly painted aircraft right up to the time of the Air Canada takeover, even though they knew they were leaving the alliance.

As to British Airways leaving oneworld, if they left they wouln't leave much behind, since they own significant shares in Qantas and Iberia. They would go too, leaving American, Lan Chile, Aer Lingus, Finnair and Cathay Pacific - all good airlines, but not much of a "global" alliance"

As for the missing oneworld logos, don't read too deeply into such a simple thing! What stickers airlines apply to their aircraft are never a good indicator of future business plans  

Regards
X-Wind

Trvlr

Mon Jan 08, 2001 5:15 am

Gibberish: I left out Qualiflyer for the reason you said: It is going to join Oneworld anyway. Besides, Qualiflyer is too Euro-focused (all European airlines), and it would not make much sense for CX to switch out from of an alliance that literally covers the globe to one that has little presence in Asia, Australia, and North America, and would leave CX to fend for itself in those markets.

Aaron G.

gibberish

Mon Jan 08, 2001 5:47 am

Qualiflyer (let's call them one single airline because SAir owns stakes in pretty much all of them) could easily replace BA in oneworld. No problem at all. But your right, Crosswind, BA would take Iberia and Qantas with it.

blink182

Mon Jan 08, 2001 7:48 am

BA and Iberia leaving, big deal, when you have pretty much all of the european airlines in your alliance, it should be pretty easy to replace those airlines! Now Qantas is a big deal though, as the next airline that would more than likely be in that alliance for the south pacific would be air pacific. I don't know how much of a route network they have and I have heard their 742's are quiet dated. Oh yeah, and I am not sure if CX,LAN,AA,Aer Lingus, and Finnair would approve of some of the lower class airlines though.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Crosswind

Mon Jan 08, 2001 8:11 am

BA and Iberia leaving, big deal, when you have pretty much all of the european airlines in your alliance
-----
Which other European airlines does oneworld have?
Aer Lingus and Finnair.

Air France, Air Portugal, Austrian, British Midland, KLM, Lauda, Lufthansa, Sabena, SAS and Swissair are all members of rival alliances. Which major airlines does that leave as possible oneworld members?

Alitalia and Olympic - 2 airlines in dire financial condition, which would basically be a drain on other airlines to support them.

I don't think BA and Iberia would be easy to replace, with Iberia's strength to Latin America and BA's global coverage. Would Alitalia and Olympic fill that gap? No  

British Airways and Iberia leaving would be very bad news for oneworld. However, I don't think this is a situation anyone need lose much sleep about.

DatamanA340

Mon Jan 08, 2001 10:00 am

None of Skyteam members paints the alliance logo on its aircraft. That doesn't mean collapse of Skyteam.

us330

Mon Jan 08, 2001 11:01 am

Yeah, so CX doesn't paint the oneworld logo on their aircraft. Big deal. They are probably the least likely to leave that alliance

us330 formerly sn330