LHMark
Topic Author

Isn't Pan Am Going To Run Out Of Clippers Soon?

Thu Jan 11, 2001 4:27 am

OK, so they add Worcester to their list of destinations, which includes Portsmouth, Gary, Orlando, St. Louis, and Worcester. They also do charter work. Are they acquiring more 727s to handle growth, or are they not yet stretched to the limit? -Mark
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

BostonBeau

RE: Isn't Pan Am Going To Run Out Of Clippers Soon?

Thu Jan 11, 2001 5:59 am

Hmmm....so many other airlines are retiring their 727s lately....I wonder if they are buying them up for rehabbing?

Thu Jan 11, 2001 6:16 am

In an AIRWAYS magazine that had a story on the airline, it said that Pan Am will be acquiring more 727-200s and having them updated and modernized to their specs which include hush kits for the P&W JT8Ds. They are also planning possible future overseas charters using wide-bodies.

VirginA340

Thu Jan 11, 2001 12:07 pm

PA has contracts with companies that do call PA to arrange charter flights within US, Canada and the Carribean. From What a PA Agent at Allentown,PA told me is that they've even flown Charters as far as Cancun, Mexico. If their charter operation runs better than they've expected you can see alot more 727s come into the fleet. Maybe even a wide body or two like a retired ex Piedmont 767-200ER that USAirways is getting rid of for A330s. USAirways will probably give them away for cheap considering they want to get rid of them. Originally from what I heard they wanted to go for a DC-10 but then decided against it.
"FUIMUS"

N628AU

Thu Jan 11, 2001 4:47 pm

Virgin,

Where are the US 767's going? They are still actively planned for trans-continental and thin international routes. No retirement planned at this time.

Laserjet

Thu Jan 11, 2001 7:21 pm

727's would be easy to get a hold of now that the majors are retiring them pretty quickly.

Although they seem to be expanding destinations, they don't seem to have heavy schedules, so maybe they can squeeze some more hours out of their 727's.

The 727 seems to be a good short term choice, as they will be cheap to purchase, and once upgraded to the spec's will have a fair bit of life in them. However, once they get established, they will need to look at another aircraft to form the backbone of their fleet.

What about the Jetstreams. We all know that they have them, but little mention is made of what they are used for.

VirginA340

N628AU

Fri Jan 12, 2001 12:02 am

From what an off duty US Airways mechanic at LGA told me was that the airline had planned to phase out the 767-200ER as enough A330s come in. They had waited so that they don't have a shortage of planes to fly to their destinations.
"FUIMUS"

Fri Jan 12, 2001 2:32 am

One of the Jetstreams is doing PIT-Harrisburg.

I said this on Lowfareair's thread announcing the Worcester addition, but I'm dissapointed Pan Am, couldn't have done something more exciting, perhaps an intra-northeast/modwest system, linking all these secondary and tertiary airports. Rather it looks like, Pan Am is simply bringing cheap pax back and forth of Orlando.

Any airline can fill 150 seats to Florida with low fares. This is really sort of pathetic. I'm dissapointed.

ScottB

Fri Jan 12, 2001 4:39 am

I think that with the major airlines all retiring their 727's, there will be plenty of the type available for future expansion by Pan Am. The main issue is just the amount of maintenance they require as they age.

Flying cheap flights to Florida is probably boring or pathetic if you're hoping for them to fly from Gary to Kuala Lumpur or something, but if they're profitable on those Florida flights, it's a sound business strategy. They're small, and they need to grow the airline slowly with profitable routes.

BostonBeau

Fri Jan 12, 2001 5:19 am

I may be wrong, but doesn't Pan Am refurbish the B727s themselves in Portsmouth as they acquire them? I really must drive up there sometime soon and have a look around (only about 40 miles from me).