FLY777UAL
Topic Author

Which To Choose...

Thu Jan 11, 2001 12:58 pm

You are the CEO of an airline. You need to make a choice. Ready? Okay!:

Your job is to decide between two different aircraft, from two different manufacturers to serve a certain route.

The two aircraft which you must decide between are virtually the same in every way, the only differences being:

Aircraft "A": Costs USD $50 million, has exceptional performance (payload vs range), and offers a 'family' of other larger and smaller aircraft which to choose from.

Aircraft "B": Costs USD $30 million, doesn't offer too good of performance (payload vs range), doesn't offer a 'family' [as of yet], but, after all, it IS $20 million cheaper than aircraft "A".

Which to choose, and why? [This is just for fun...to see who would do what and why]

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

AA737-823

RE: Which To Choose...

Thu Jan 11, 2001 1:45 pm

Well, given the choices you offered, I would go for A. However, if you are talking 737 versus 717, choice B needs editing. The 717 performs VERY well, it's the quietest jet in the sky (except the Canadair Regional) and also the most fuel efficient. At least, that is my understanding. Please, airbus/boeing fans, only argue if you can PROVE me wrong.

But, maybe you aren't talking about those two aircraft. Based on what you said, I would pay the additional 20 mil to get the "family" and good performance. But that might change depending on how 'good' the performance was. I would put pencil and paper to it and see if I thought the good performance would save the $20 mil over the course of the craft's life that I spent to acquire it.

YFE

Thu Jan 11, 2001 6:32 pm

I would choose Aircraft A because the family of aircrafts is easy with switching pilots from aircraft to aircraft.

airnewzealand

Thu Jan 11, 2001 6:50 pm

I also would choose aircraft A for the Pilots can use the Family of Aircrafts to fly.

VirginFlyer

Thu Jan 11, 2001 7:27 pm

If that was my only intended route, and was adequately served by B, then I would definitely go for B.

Might I suggest that you give more details (what would the route be like, what are the specifics of the aircraft, it will get you a much more accurate result)
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh