Beautiful Airport Terminals

Thu Jan 11, 2001 7:58 pm

In this day and age airport terminals are all glass, concrete, etc, so what a delight it is to see terminals such as the following:

Sochi Airport - Russia

Santa Barbara Regional Airport - California

Are there any other fine examples of architecturally delightful airport terminals out there?

Cheers

Scotty

Ikarus

RE: Beautiful Airport Terminals

Thu Jan 11, 2001 9:26 pm

What do you have against glass and concrete? Look at London Stansted: That is exactly what a well-designed airport should look like (from the inside). Personally, I prefer functionality to unnecessary gimmicks in an airport. And I really really like light inside an airport terminal (Look at the Heathrow Terminal 2 Check-In area to find an example of ugliness: Low ceiling, little light)

dustweek

Architecture

Thu Jan 11, 2001 9:38 pm

Those are beautiful buildings.
But most people don't want their airports to look like city halls (Sochi Airport) or Southern California golf resorts (Santa Barbara).

I think airports should look like airports...

My favorite "beauty" is KIX (Kansai, in Osaka Japan).

It looks like a wing and "feels" like an airport.

For me, an airport that looks like a bus terminal is the worst design. An airport should look like a temple to modern technology, not a functional transit facility (although it should BE a functional transit facility).

DeltaSFO

Thu Jan 11, 2001 10:11 pm

The New International Terminal at San Francisco International Airport.

Enough said.

DeltaSFO
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

RayChuang

Thu Jan 11, 2001 10:16 pm

If you want beautiful airport terminals, SFO's new International Terminal, HKG's Chep Lap Kok airport, Osaka's Kansai International, and the soon-to-open Inchon International Airport near Seoul are all stunning airports in terms of architecture.  

tim

Thu Jan 11, 2001 10:22 pm

When I visited Hongkongs Chep Lap Kok Airport in March 99 I was amazed by the great feeling of 'space' you get inside the terminal. With the bright lighting it creates a very comfortable and quiet atmosphere.

CLK gets my vote. It is a remarkable example of great architechture and design

Tim

Thu Jan 11, 2001 10:31 pm

I have everything against concrete and glass when there is a much more asthetic designs available. Sochi Airport is very indicative of Russian architecture from the period. Santa Barbara is what architecture in the region looks like.

My post isn't at all on functionality, is it on architectural grandeur. I don't see why an airport should be a 'temple to modern technology'. There is nothing stopping an airport from being functional and modern, but there is also no reason why an airport can't be designed to reflect on that city/country.

Soekarno-Hatta Airport in Jakarta is a modern facility, but yet it's design is based upon traditional Indonesian architecture

Seoul's Kimpo Airport, whilst modern in design, still keeps a Korean feel with it's design

And from memory, Albuquerque Airport is designed in the architecture that is "unique" to New Mexico and Phoenix

Ikarus

Thu Jan 11, 2001 10:46 pm

I don't want to annoy anyone with this, but I cannot help getting the feeling that building airports to "local" architectural styles is like building a tourist attraction, or an indian reservation selling the local culture -i.e. a fake copy of something remarkable. An airport is an airport. Local architecture is local architecture.

I still prefer concrete and glass in an airport to a Disneyland version of what the local history looks like. Just my opinion on the matter.

That said, those pictures look interesting, even if I still prefer light-filled glassy and white airports.

jaysit

Thu Jan 11, 2001 11:33 pm

For beautiful, clean, polite, efficient airports, just look at Amsterdam.

Just wonderful !
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Airbus_A340

Fri Jan 12, 2001 12:01 am

Hong Kong International airport.....Chek Lap Kok gets my votew.....there is soooo much "space"...

There slogan on TV.
"Hong Kong International Airport-Ours for the future."

Trevs AKA Airbus_A340  
People. They make an airline. www.cathaypacific.com

Ikarus

Fri Jan 12, 2001 12:11 am

As far as airports being tourist attractions, to some extent they are. You need only look at such airports as Changi, Hong Kong, etc, to see what they offer to tourists.

But as for an airport being built in local architectural style, I think it is very important, especially in those country's which do have a distinct style, as a person's first impression of that country is more often than not, the airport (not including if you flew on the country's national airline). For example, when you land at Soekarno-Hatta or Ngurah Rai (Denpasar), you know you are in Indonesia, because of the airport architecture. When you land at Kimpo, you know you are in Korea, because of the style. It is a pity that the "modern" look these days is very plain and boring. An example of this is Kansai. It is all concrete, glass, etc. Traditional Japanese architecture is in such a style that light is a major factor in the design.

That is pretty much where I am coming from anyway.

Cheers

Scotty

VirginA340

Fri Jan 12, 2001 12:13 am

My favs are Terminal 4 at LHR, Stansted, T1 at JFK, as well as the soon to be built international and AA terminal also at JFK complete with Air Train that will connect with all terminals an the Howard Beach Subway station. As well as Terminal C at EWR and The Marine terminal at LGA.
"FUIMUS"

ilyag

Fri Jan 12, 2001 12:24 am

For me this is mostly a question of taste, and it is very hard to match tastes of different people.

I, personally, liked JFK Terminal 5 (TWA, I'm so sorry for them). It has a very unique architecture, although it was built back in sixties. When you arrive and get out of the jetway, you continue along glass corridor whith a view to your plane. It was a very spectacular view, as I remember it when I arrived there on TW884 (747-100) from TLV.

Brissie_Lions

Fri Jan 12, 2001 1:33 am

Nothing beats PUJ.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris Johnson

rominato

Fri Jan 12, 2001 1:48 am

Glad you mentioned Santa Barbara. I love going to that airport. I actually try my best to go through there in stead of BUR or LAX if at all practical. It's nice because it's not that it's gimmicky, but that terminal has been there forever, it seems, and it's a way of stepping into the past. It's still perfectly functional, and frankly, I think it's a lot of fun to actually walk out on the tarmac and up the stairs to the plane. It harkens back to a time when travelling by air was a grand affair.

If you get the chance, fly through Santa Barbara. It's great!

Fri Jan 12, 2001 1:57 am

Great pic of PUJ! There was a fairly lengthy article in this past Sunday's New York Times Travel section about how hot Punta Cana is. (Made me happy, TW is a player in this market!) Anyway, they had a photo of this small airport and described it briefly, the rooks is made of cana leaves and periodically they all blow away and need replacing. The airport is without walls and completely open, but service (getting bags after a trip) is very lazy.

Another interesting airport is Gaza International Airport in the Gaza Strip. Gaza is the main hub for Palestinian Airlines and brand new. However, it's distinctive architechture reflects ancient and traditional Arab and Muslim designs.

TWA's Terminal 5 of course is a stark sweeping remnant of when air travel was glamorous. Hopefully when that terminal is rehabilitated and annexed to a new Terminal 6, JetBlue Airways will take better care of it than TW did.

Regards,
Russell

us330

Fri Jan 12, 2001 2:13 am

Vancouver's International Terminal.

Fri Jan 12, 2001 2:43 am

Helsinki-Vantaa "Gateway" (International) terminal.

Click for large version

Photo © Jorgos Tsambikakis

Regards
Alexander Holst
Helsinki, Finland
ICQ 94604005

scutfarcus

Fri Jan 12, 2001 3:10 am

Albuquerque!

Granted the adobe is 'faux', but it's a beuatiful, modern airport, most certainly in a style unmistakably New Mexican!

lax2000

Fri Jan 12, 2001 3:16 am

My favorite is the JFK-TWA Terminal

zrs70

Fri Jan 12, 2001 3:52 am

A great book about all this is: "Building for Air Travel." Lots of pictures of world airports, large and small.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

blink182

Fri Jan 12, 2001 8:57 am

If you want "open" terminals, go to modern Asian airports! My vote goes to Vancouver International terminal. No one could blend modern archeteture with ancient architecture together better than them. On your way to customs. Also, it is like a mini museum, a fascinating terminal indeed. I won't tell because you should see it for your self.
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

slawko

Fri Jan 12, 2001 9:10 am

I have an example of one, but I can't find the picture right now....it is the Lviv International airport in Western Ukraine. It looks very much like the first picture in the first post but a bit bigger...It has been amazingly restored, some modern additions have been made inside, but from the outside it looks like an old train station.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

Slawko

Fri Jan 12, 2001 9:36 am

Here is the photo of Lviv (Lvov) Airport. And you are right....it is a lot bigger, and more grandiose than Sochi Airport.

N960AS

Fri Jan 12, 2001 11:19 am

I have to agree with JFK T5. The terminal is so cool and still looks modern, even if it was built in the '60's. It doesn't cater to jets too well and TW hasn't taken the best care of it but it is still a great terminal. Walking to the satelites in that 'tube' if you will is really a neat experience. The lobby is soaring and has good views too. The terminal is one of Saarinen's masterpieces and is perserved as a monument (landmark?) so it will always be there.

J

vngd4me

Fri Jan 12, 2001 2:43 pm

I am suprized that no one has even mentioned Denver (DEN- Jeppesen Terminal). It is a really cool airport that blends in with its mountain surroundings yet still stands out. It is modern, artisitic and efficient. Lots of glass, but thats nice given the beautiful open surroundings. The white roof peaks look awesome against the snow capped mountains behind it. Also has a lot of wonderful art in and around the airport, for more info check out their webpage at www.flydenver.com

vadheim

Fri Jan 12, 2001 7:07 pm

Oslo Airport - Gardermoen (OSL)

New modern and clean!

Click for large version

Photo © J Gregory Quinn

Click for large version

Photo © Jan Harald Olsen

lewis

Beautiful Airport Terminals?-Athens Spata Airport

Sat Jan 13, 2001 1:37 am

Visit http://www.athensairport-2001.gr

The new athens airport, although not big is beautiful. It will be the newest in europe and will feature the latest technology systems in combination with the mediterranean style. For all the concrete and glass fans.

crjmech

SBA- Good On Ya, Scotty

Sat Jan 13, 2001 2:03 am

As I clicked on this topic and was waiting for the pics in the first post to load, I thought to myself "I wonder if anyone will mention SBA". Sure enough, there it was in all it's terra cotta glory. An old photo to be sure, but it remains virtually unchanged today. SBA is most delightful airport I have ever visited, a respite from the gleaming, garish monstrosities that pass for airport terminals nowadays. Thank you Scotty for putting the best first!
Thou shalt mind thine altitude,lest the ground reach up and smite thee.

chrisrad

Sat Jan 13, 2001 6:43 am

How about the new Kuala Lumpur Airport, KLIA in Malaysia, beautiful open design, never feels crowded!
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

WorldVoyager

Sat Jan 13, 2001 11:31 am

Vancouver Intl -

Although it's not as big and modern as Hong Kong CLK, for example, it is much more beautiful, as the interior decorating is amazing! The walls' colours are very well co-ordinated, and there are works of Pacific Aboriginal Art everywhere! Compare it to CLK, where although the airport is very nice, there are no decorations or such; it has a very industrial, or hospital-like look. As good as it is, it would be better to decorate it.

Just my two cents.

QantasA330

Sat Jan 13, 2001 12:50 pm

Denver Anyone???

Denver's terminal is (I think) by far the most beautiful in the world. Not concrete and not too much glass, and nothing in between.

I think it beats even the beautiful Kansai.

Click for large version

Photo © Christopher Smay

Click for large version

Photo © Christopher Smay

Click for large version

Photo © Christopher Smay

Kindest Regards,
 QantasA330 

flightboy24

Sat Jan 13, 2001 12:53 pm

I must say I paid my first visit to the UA terminal at DEN last year, and was impressed...

CactusA319

Sat Jan 13, 2001 2:28 pm

Even though I don't care for UA, I must say their ORD Terminal 1 is a work of art. When I go there I prefer admiring the terminals beautiful architecture rather than looking at UA's drab airplanes.

watewate

Sat Jan 13, 2001 2:30 pm

T1 @ JFK is quite nice also. Love the way the ticket counters are laid out upstairs. Also, nice view from their food court.

toxtethogrady

Dulles!

Sat Jan 13, 2001 2:38 pm

Even after all these years.

But then I'm biased......

Trvlr

Sat Jan 13, 2001 2:41 pm

The CDG T2 check-in, plus the gate area for non-AF planes, is total crap, but the rest is very very cool.

Hong Kong is by far the most beautiful airport I have been too. I wouldn't mind a more "organic" touch, but I love the huge enclosed spaces, the vaulted ceiling, and large views from the windows.

And a special mention goes to the main hall of the AA terminal at ORD during Christmas...they hang huge wreaths from the ceiling and put lights on the globe in the center and everything else. It is a very beautiful sight.

Aaron G.

Victor Hotel

Sat Jan 13, 2001 3:31 pm

Brisbane International fairly modern looking with lots of glass and indoor plants, it is very small though, and is usually pretty quick through customs, and immigration.
VH

gkirk

Sat Jan 13, 2001 5:55 pm

I thought Palma de Mallorca terminal was impressive as is the international terminal at NCL and T2 at MAN. STN is also impressive
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

krisair747

Sat Jan 13, 2001 10:25 pm

Singapore's Changi is absolutly wonderful!
It has a botanical garden on the upper level of the international terminal, as well as a pool!
Its spacious, and has every amenity you could ask for.
Open your heart and push the limits

redraider

Sun Jan 14, 2001 2:33 am

Lubbock, Texas is a gem!
My wife can't wrestle, but you should see her box.

maiznblu_757

Beautiful Airport Terminals

Sun Jan 14, 2001 4:05 am

Traverse City Cherry Capital (TVC) is building a new terminal. You can see the photos at www.tvcairport.com. I think its going to be one of the most beautiful terminals around for its size.

maiznblu_757
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/traversecityairport

BH346

Sun Jan 14, 2001 4:29 am

Kansai

Click for large version

Photo © Piotr Pluciennik

Click for large version

Photo © Kazutaka Yagi

Also, Okinawa/Naha and Miyakojima(Escpecially the old terminal) are beautiful terminal. The old Miyakojima terminal is shaped like an Okinawan hat(I don't know what its called.) I believe it hasn't been demolished, but its covered in vines and plants. It should be cleaned up, it would be a neat sight for people, a giant hat!

BH346
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

picarus

Sun Jan 14, 2001 4:55 am

I think a cliche states it best..."beauty lies in the eye of the beholder."

chepos

Sun Jan 14, 2001 5:03 am

I like MCO in Orlando.
Fly the Flag!!!!

ben

Slawko! LWO Airport!

Sun Jan 14, 2001 8:04 am

Yes Slawko! It's great I agree. LWO is the finest I have seen in all my world travels.

Thanks for the pic, Scotty, but that one just doesn't do the design any justice.

Walking from my plane across the tarmac I thought I was in the French countryside approaching a stately home. Perfectly manicured gardens, perfectly restored. Perfect.

Just the opposite of the new Denver airport! I love it too but it is at the other end of the ultra-modern scale.

Ben.

LH423

Sun Jan 14, 2001 8:55 am

I think Vancouver is an excellent example. A modern terminal reflecting the native people of British Columbia.

Click for large version

Photo © Matthew Lee

Personally, although I don't know how many will agree with me, I think the Eero Saarinen-built Main Terminal at Dulles International is an excellent design. It is meant to reflect the slendour of flight, and the openess of the skies. He creates an airy feeling by using a sloping roof (of which the technical term escapes me) and by putting the ticketing counters on islands, versus along the walls. Some may argue that this decreases the airy feeling, but I disagree. I think by not being able to see the other end of this already massive building, only adds to the effect. Another example of this, albeit on a smaller scale, is Terminal C at Boston, although the Dulles terminal is much nicer, and uses it's space much better.

Click for large version

Photo © Rafal Szczypek

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry