Proper Airport Names

Fri Jan 12, 2001 11:42 am

I would like all of you to write proper airport names instead of codes. Most people don't know codes of the less famous airports and have more likely heard the proper name, even I dont know most of the codes for nearby airports in my area. I hope it's not too much to ask and I'm sure others would agree.

vngd4me

RE: Proper Airport Names

Fri Jan 12, 2001 11:53 am

If you're going to be a future pilot or you're interested in aviation, its just one of those things you have to learn. Its like learning a new language, once you've got it down its pretty simple. It does save a lot of time typing as abbreviations are easier to type. I understand where you're coming from but its asking a lot to ask people to change their "language" its kind of like going to France, not being able to speak French and expecting 1,000's of natives to speak English on your behalf. I'm not trying to give you a hard time but codes are easier to use especially when cities have multiple airports (MDW is a whole lot easier to type than Chicago-Midway.)

For a list to help you learn or to reference print out the FAA's Airport Code page at: http://www.faa.gov/aircodeinfo.htm

Good Luck!  

fly_yhm

RE: Proper Airport Names

Fri Jan 12, 2001 1:23 pm

I agree but I know what you mean but I have to learn too and Im getting pretty good i actally go out of me way to find out because in about a 10 months im hopefully going to be attending NCTI(Nav Canada Training Institute In cornwall Ontario for ATC
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!