airafrique

Tu 144 Crash

Sat Jan 13, 2001 3:26 am

"The crew of this Russian-built Tupolev TU-144 SST was demonstrating a high performance takeoff when they were forced to take evasive action for another aircraft and crashed."

I took it from a web site (I think airsafety.com).

I always thought that was mechanical problem that caused the tu-144 to crash.

I will need more infor about that tragedy
I  

AFa340-300E

RE: Tu 144 Crash

Sat Jan 13, 2001 4:00 am

Hello,

The conditions in which the Tu-144 crashed at Goussainville (France) remain uncertain as today.

A fighter aircraft was reportedly flying at a good altitude over Le Bourget when the Tu-144 was making its presentation.

Best regards,
Alain Mengus

chiawei

RE: Tu 144 Crash

Sat Jan 13, 2001 4:35 am

Airafrique wrote:
-------------------------------
"The crew of this Russian-built Tupolev TU-144 SST was demonstrating a high performance takeoff when they were forced to take evasive action for another aircraft and crashed."

I took it from a web site (I think airsafety.com).

I always thought that was mechanical problem that caused the tu-144 to crash.

I will need more infor about that tragedy<

Go to PBS's website. There was a show on this incident.

From the show it was stated that both french and russin colluded on the true cause of TU-144 crash.

according to the inside source, there was 2 mirage fighter that were sent to take picture of TU-144 Kernels during in flight. The TU-144 pilots were not told of Mirage's presence. There was a near collision, which resulted in TU-144 pilot to take evasive action that resulted in engine stalled.

The only option he had was an in-flight restart, and this required he pitch the aircraft downward to spool the fans. But the height was too low, the pilots tried to pull ahead too hard, which resulted in overstressing the airframe.