KLMBLue

LAX-SYD What To Expect?

Sat Jan 13, 2001 10:49 pm

Over the summer I will be traveling from Boston onto Los Angelese then onto Sydney. I am pretty sure the airline will either be Qantas or United. I will be travelling in Economy Class. What should I expect? Good seats? Good food? ect.
KLM

OO-AOG

RE: LAX-SYD What To Expect?

Sat Jan 13, 2001 11:08 pm

I flew SYD-LAX with UA back in 1991 with a 744. Not a great experience indeed, very long flight, no legroom. But it was a long time ago and I never had any good experience with UA anyway.
Falcon....like a limo but with wings

picarus

Sun Jan 14, 2001 12:38 am

I'm making this trek next month. Fortunately, I'm booked on Air New Zealand which offers greater seat pitch in coach than United. My expectation is that service will be more attentive as well.

You may want to consider booking AZ if you're flying UA on the BOS-LAX segment. As Star Alliance members, they codeshare on each other's flights to Australia & NZ.

Picarus

QantasA330

Sun Jan 14, 2001 3:04 am

Fly Qantas. GREAT service, great planes, helpfull crew, and always on-time.... I have made the LAX-SYD trip about 20 times... and even more the other way  

*I flew UAL 5 times (and NZ 3), and ALL 5 times we were late, the crew was rude and tierd, the bags were late getting to the plane on one flight, and the lost 2 bags all together - the one good the thing about UAL was that their food was slightly better than average!

*NZ was better, but (of the 3 times) we were late twice, and the food was pretty average. Crew was nice though.

*I have NEVER (read my lips NEVER) had a single bad experience on Qantas. Their seat - pitch is better than UAL's and New Zealands. Food is great, and the crew was soooo helpful; they would be running around the plane all night and day picking up cups and trash, and getting you whatever you want. (I was in Coach).

If you were to fly UAL, NZ or QF in Bus. or First, things change... QF is still the best, but UAL is close behind.

Overall: FLY QANTAS.

Kindest Regards,
 QantasA330 

sccutler

So What's The Truth About Seat Pitch-

Sun Jan 14, 2001 3:10 am

I have always read that NZ had better pitch than QF and UA; true/false and sources and measurements, if someon out there knows.

I flew NZ, had excellent service, but cannot compare to the Q or the U.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

picarus

RE: So What's The Truth About Seat Pitch-

Sun Jan 14, 2001 5:04 am

The seating chart on the NZ homepage states 34" pitch in Pacific Class seating for the B-744. Speaking from personal experience on UA's B-744s, coach seating pitch is closer to 31".

I don't know about QF. QuantasA330 - do you happen to know?

parisien

Sun Jan 14, 2001 5:26 am

I like NZ the best...I flew on UA, QF and NZ on this route.
Are you a smoker ? Well if you are, smoke a lot before you get on the plane, bring some nicorette or patch for the flight.

SR 103

Sun Jan 14, 2001 5:44 am

Regarding the seat pitch:

Air New Zealand 34 inches

Qantas 32 inches

United 31 inches

This is acording to the Business Traveller which is i front of me as I typed this. Personally I haven't flown QF or NZ (that will be changing in a couple months) but I have flown UA's 777 and I can say that I think you should take Air New Zealand. I have heard better stuff about them than the other two!!

SR 103      

airnewzealand

Sun Jan 14, 2001 10:08 am

AirNZ dominates this route, They only have One flight aday to Los Angeles and they are usually totally booked out. I would Say Qantas and AirNZ are about the same. Some aspects of Qantas are better than AirNZ and some aspects of AirNZ are better.

Many people prefer to Fly AirNZ on this route and Qantas is followed slightly behind.

AirNZ have 34", Qantas 33" and UA 31". Please donot choose United i have haad the worst Experience with them.

Qantas and AirNZ will have the PTV's installed on all their SYD-LAX, and vise versa flights in the next few months.

Anyway if you choose either Qantas or AirNZ you will enjoy the great Down Under experience that most passengers enjoy.

Have a great Trip and remember to post a Trip Report and what Airline you will be flying.

If you choose AirNZ then you must book a couple of Months in advance to Garuntee a Seat.

Please donot bite my head off about anything i have said.

Cheers
mikey
Haere RA (From New Zealand)
      AirNZ: The worlds warmest welcome!!      
      Qantas: The spirit of Australia!!        

QantasA330

Sun Jan 14, 2001 12:06 pm

When I flew QF last the seat pitch was 34... and when I last flew ANZ it was 32, but not too suprised if it has changed...

If you end up with a choice between QF and UA, PLEASE take the advise of the VERY KIND people in this forum. You will be FAR happier on Qantas.

Please let me know how your trip goes...

j_r_fairbrother@excite.com

Kindest Regards,
 QantasA330 

sccutler

Interestingly Enough...

Sun Jan 14, 2001 12:11 pm

...while in Australia, we visited at some length with some Aussie expats (as in, they live at Dallas) who travel DFW-SYD 5-6 times per year (they own a second home at Manly[sp?]); it came as quite a surprise to me that they told me they had a strong preference for UA over NZ and QF. Sorry to say, I don't recall any specifics.

Just reporting what some very experienced Aussies opined; in all my airline travels, I've never had cause to set foot on a UA plane, don't much care if I never do.

Don't shoot the messenger.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...