hkg_clk

Eyesight Requirements On CX Webpage

Sun Jan 14, 2001 6:53 pm

I was browsing on the CX website and it said that for applicants to its Cadet Pilot training programme, applicants be in 'good physical condition, including eyesighgt'. Does this means you can apply even though you wear glasses as long as your eyesight is good after wearing glasses? It seems a bit vague to me. Can anyone clarify. What's the position for other airlines?
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

aduum

RE: Eyesight Requirements On CX Webpage

Sun Jan 14, 2001 7:01 pm

i know that in Australia to get into the airforce you must have near perfect eyesight, and the same applys for Ansett and Qantas as you must pass an optimology test every five years with these cmopanys.

hkg_clk

Sun Jan 14, 2001 7:08 pm

I've also just been to the BA website. It says that wearing glasses doesn't mean that you are not eligible. But this is again vague. Up to what degree of short-signtedness etc will they accept?

I recently had an eyecheckup, and my doc said that although I am quite short-signted, after wearing glasses, my vision is 20/20. Is this 20/20 thing what airlines require?
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

Sun Jan 14, 2001 7:51 pm

What I understand is that as long your eyesight is correctable to 20/20, you have nothing to worry about. Most people are not born with 20/20 vision, therefore accepting them as being too physicly handicaped to do a certain job would be discrimination, which I belive is illegal in most if not all civilized countries.

Air force pilots are an exeption since they can't afford to have thier glasses fall of in dogfight, while pulling serious G's. Take a look in the database, many pilots can be seen wearing glasses...........I hope this helps.

Mit

Sun Jan 14, 2001 11:53 pm

Airline vision requirement vary widely by carrier and roughly correlate with the job market. In the past, many US carriers required 20/20 uncorrected vision. I don't believe this was ever the subject of a discrimination complaint. In fact, until several years ago, 20/20 uncorrected vision was a requirement for a 1st class medical.

With the pilot job market so tight now, many of these vision requirements are being relaxed to 20/20 corrected. Even the USAF is loosening their requirements!

oxygen

Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:20 am

My neighbour did a laser 2 years ago, and his eyesight is now perfect. He applied for the CX pilot training, and Cathay asked him whether his vision is born perfect or made perfect, and he told them the truth. He wasn't accepted for this reason.

I think that the reason that he wasn't accepted is because CX didn't want to invest so much (about 1million hk$) on a technology which is not yet fully proven.

My neighbour now is paying for the flying school himself, he'll try to apply again after he knows how to fly, in that way, CX saved 1 million training cost and might have him in the end.

I'll advice you that if you want to become a CX pilot, never try to do the laser therapy.

Airbus A3XX

Mon Jan 15, 2001 12:32 am

I have heard that airlines won't let anyone who have done laser eye surgegy to be a pilot. Not sure if it is true

CX Flyboy

Mon Jan 15, 2001 1:33 am

As far as I know, Cathay are vague about the requirements because they have no strict rules. Naturally, they prefer someone who has perfect vision. You are right in saying that they do not believe in laser surgery. It is not fully proven, and Cathay are being cautious. (Did you know that we have a one-eyed pilot!).

I believe the way it works, is that if you do not have perfect vision, you had better have other personal qualities that make up for it. Cathay are not overwhelmed by candidates that are perfect for the job. In fact, at times they find it difficult to find enough people. If you are suited to the job but don't quite have perfect sight, then that's ok. They will still give you a chance.

Sasha

Mon Jan 15, 2001 3:07 am

In this photo you can see that both pilots wear glasses.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Charles Falk

It seems like the Captain's specs are quite strong...
An2/24/28,Yak42,Tu154/134,IL18/62/96,B737/757/767,A310/320/319,F100,BAe146,EMB-145,CRJ,A340-600,B747-400,A-330-300,A-340