Do-328 Jet At Roc?

Tue Jan 16, 2001 5:37 am

I saw a Delta Connection Do-328 Jet at ROC they other day. Where does it fly and why at ROC? I whant to fly on a 328 badly

Eric

Rizzibird

RE: Do-328 Jet At Roc?

Tue Jan 16, 2001 6:22 am

Could it be Atlantic Coast Jet flying on behalf of Delta on routes out of LGA to cities in the norstheast? That would be my guess, even though I don't know them operating any LGA-ROC service. Must be a new one!

Rizzibird

jasewgtn

Tue Jan 16, 2001 6:43 am

Until the 30th Jan, DL have 4 daily flights roundtrip La Guardia - Rochester with a DO 328 Jet.

Jase

DCA-ROCguy

Why ROC Is Losing DO328Jets To LGA

Tue Jan 16, 2001 6:54 am

Hey Eric--yes, Delta Connection does run 4 daily Dornier 328Jets to LaGuardia from ROC. I saw one in the "new new" Delta livery on Jan. 2 when I was at the airport for my US flight back to DCA.

Too bad we lose the flights on Jan 30, as Jase mentioned. Just in case you don't know the story:

The LGA-ROC flights were part of a big batch of LGA flights Delta Connection started this summer. Congress passed the AIR-21 law and authorized hundreds of new slots at LaGuardia to serve underserved markets using regional aircraft. But the hundreds of new flights--mostly Delta Connection and US Airways Express--drove LGA's congestion through the roof.

So the FAA had a "slot lottery" on Dec. 4 to chop off hundreds of the new slots and auction a few that they decided could remain. Delta Connection (along with US Airways Express) lost big in the lottery.

So most of these new LGA flights--to places like ROC, SYR, BUF, MHT, ALB, GSP, TYS-- are being cut. Never mind that DL could have cut a few frequencies from LGA to big markets like ATL and DCA and put bigger planes on those routes (thus allowing them to keep some of the new service to underserved markets).

The almighty extra-high profit margin, which the big markets produce, won out over the intent of the AIR 21 law--which was to redistribute LGA's slots some to underserved places like ROC. Every time I've seen an AC Jet Dornier at ROC they're packed--the service must be doing very well.

But that doesn't mean that Delta will give up the ACJet Dornier 328's, I think. I would not be surprised to see ROC-BOS or even ROC-JFK flights using these planes. Delta has ROC-BOS flights for years with Saabs until American Eagle bought Business Express. Also, Delta currently has no feeder flights from ROC to JFK for its big international hub there. Those are big DL airports and they have lots of shiny new DRJ's with no place to go.

So you'll probably get your chance to fly the Dornier 328Jet anyway, Eric. I'd like to try it too.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

FLY 8

Tue Jan 16, 2001 11:29 pm

Yeah, The Dornier Jet but also the Turbo prop rocks!!
I fly on both the 328 prop and jet! It´s a common type rating. So you have to make the simulator check not on both airplanes. You change every check, wich is every 6 months!
Go to Europe! There are some of the Dornier Jets!

Sincerly,
Benjamin!
yes i can handle that alone. - - -famous last words

Wed Jan 17, 2001 1:42 am

Yeah, all those 328JETS will probably be transferred to feed Delta's ops at BOS. In fact I remember reading on JustPlanes.com that they already had started a number of ACJet/Delta Connection 328JET flights from BOS, can't remember to where.

However, they haven't started any from JFK yet, which is curious because that leaves the American Eagle Saabs as JFK's only regional feeder and they only fly for AA and TW.

Regards,
Russell

Wed Jan 17, 2001 6:26 am

Thanks for the info guys. I hope the DO-328 Jet is here to stay. I think it is one of the coolest looking planes out there.

Eric

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos