VivaGunners
Topic Author

New Int'l Airport At El Toro (California)!?!

Tue Jan 16, 2001 7:59 am

I heard that in the area of the former military airport of El Toro (California-Los Angeles area) it will be built up an airport capable of 28'000'000 passengers per year.Is it true or is it only a rumour ? Somebody know more specific news?

Thanks in advance.
Any ideas for a signature?

AsianaAirlines

RE: New Int'l Airport At El Toro (California)!?!

Tue Jan 16, 2001 8:43 am

wow, that would be real convienient for me. where did u hear this?

picarus

Tue Jan 16, 2001 9:12 am

Well Viva...you may get more than you bargained for with your question.

This "folly" has been around for years and is about as likely to happen as El Al serving Baghdad.

El Toro Marine base was shut down during the base closing spree of the late 80s and there has been much talk around creating a new international airport to replace SNA and its capacity constraints. The problems, and there are many, lie primarily with surrounding residential communities, environmental impacts, and co$t$.

As a native of Orange County, I think it would be great to have a "world class", but my cynical side doesn't ever see it happening.

But I'm sure there will be others who disagree!

VivaGunners
Topic Author

Wed Jan 17, 2001 7:09 am

I heard this rumour on an italian civil aviation magazine named "AIRLINE" but maybe they were wrong, as Picarus says.
Any ideas for a signature?

Trvlr

Wed Jan 17, 2001 7:19 am

Similar situation occured with Miramar MCAS in San Diego. Now the brilliant civic leaders have decided on building a vastly less effecient airport for BOTH counties at the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps training center near the border between San Diego and Orange. But that plan will not get off the ground, so I don't think people will be using anything other than SNA/SAN for domestic and LAX for international flights anytime soon.

Aaron G.